8th-10thC warriors

Viking, Saxon, and Early Christian Irish cultures

Moderator: the_power

8th-10thC warriors

Postby Fahey on Sat May 16, 2009 1:32 pm

hello all, :D
i have just a few quick questions .
one in this time frame should i be looking at the book of kells 2 warrior images for proper kit?
http://www.gaelagusgall.org/gaelweb/kit.html
would this be a reliable web site?
as i have seen some site say 2 distinct styles were some others say its more of a guide line than a hard rule.
thank you :D
Fahey
Full Name: Geremy Gulino

Re: 8th-10thC warriors

Postby brendan on Sun May 17, 2009 3:16 pm

that site is reliable
re: Book of Kells and other iconic sources
a) Dont use them because they are based on artistic conventions as to how biblical figures should be represented and as such are more reflective of Byzantine that insular clothing etc
b) Use them because they are the best local sources we have

supporters of a) will tend to point towards clothing that we know for certain was worn closer to home

Brendan
brendan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Brendan Griffin

Postby Freebeard on Wed May 20, 2009 11:56 am

By the Book of Kells' warrior, do you mean the lad with the buckler-size shield, and short spear, in the short trousers, and the short tunic, with his lad out?

if so, this is one of the few images of what people call "warrior" clothing of the time. It may not reflect Eastern tradition of clothing, as it does not occupy a main focus in the text, like the imagery of the virgin mary, and the image of st john, but merely is a side-figure of sorts. As this dress style is seemingly supported by imagery present on some high-crosses it can be taken as acceptable as a representation of an Irish "soldier" of this period.

If you do not mean this guy, can you specify what image you are talking about and further steps can be taken to help you.
-'Dligid Diummus Dermat'

"Wyt ti’n ffrwtin fel gwyddel"
(you are farting like an irishman)
Freebeard
Active Newbie
Full Name: Aindrias Ó Broin

Postby finnobreanan on Wed May 20, 2009 2:18 pm

One of my favorite depictions of warriors is the scene of the "Arrest of Christ" on the High Cross at Monasterboice, County Louth.

http://www.bluffton.edu/~sullivanm/muir ... arrest.jpg

I also like the image of Ciaran and Diarmad on the Cross of the Scriptures at Clonmacnoise, but I'll have to pull it from my album at home and scan it.
Finn O'Breanan
Wood Kerne

"...The O'Brennans, a sept of thieves without any right or title, ... were a perpetual disturbance to the peace of the county,"
finnobreanan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Scott Cross

Postby Fahey on Wed May 20, 2009 10:37 pm

free beard, yes that was the lad i was looking at(his clothing , not his lad :? :lol: )
Fahey

Postby Freebeard on Thu May 21, 2009 10:44 am

Cool.

He can be taken as being an image of use in looking at clothing at that time. As similar garb is seen on some of the high crosses, such as that of Monasterboice (as put up by Finn above), it may be possible that such clothing was indeed worn. Yet that is not to say that these are perfect representations of clothing of that time period, they do help us to get an idea of what the clothing at the time possibly looked like.
The Book of Kells guy can be taken as such a representaion, and he can be used as a guide for such clothing if you wish to recreate it. Obviously I think there shall be some limits as to wether to fully recreate his image....I think if you were to fully recreate him exactly I think you'd be gettting a few gardaí around to your house with indecent exposure charges :) but you never know what some people are into
-'Dligid Diummus Dermat'

"Wyt ti’n ffrwtin fel gwyddel"
(you are farting like an irishman)
Freebeard
Active Newbie
Full Name: Aindrias Ó Broin

Postby Fahey on Thu May 21, 2009 10:50 am

ya the cross pict finn posted is a good one ive not found it that detailed in my web searches :(
and yes i think i wont recreate it exactly :lol: im a lil to modest to run around with ,, things out :shock: :lol:
Fahey

Return to Early-Medieval