Brandenburg Commandos

From the Crimean War to the Wars in the Gulf. The death of global empires and the rise of a global economy.

Moderator: the_power

Brandenburg Commandos

Postby templarcommander on Fri May 08, 2009 1:09 pm

Hi there Everybody,

I hope that you are all enjoying the season and will continue to do so.
My group of WW2 Re-enactors have decided to portray the Brandenburg Commandos, these were Germany's Elite Commandos during WW2. If there is anyone else out there interested in joining such a group, please get in touch. Our decision was based on a few factors the main one being that no one is doing this Division (that i am aware of), and there are already lots of very good groups doing Waffen SS and the likes.

So if anyone out there is interested in doing German Army re-enactment an wish to portray an Elite unit, give me a shout.

We will be in the Curragh tomorrow, so if you see us, come over for a chat and we may even throw in a cup of tea.

Thank you all, thanks to all the organisers of events for making our hobby visible.

I look forward to seeing and talking to you all soon.
Kindest Regards,
Non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini Tuo da gloriam..
Cornelius
templarcommander
Active Newbie

Re: Brandenburg Commandos

Postby mountcashel on Sat May 09, 2009 9:29 pm

As a start point you could have a look at james Lucas' book "Kommando", it deals with all the German Special Forces and has a good chapter on the Brandenburg Division, its operational history, missions etc.
So if I see GIs in blue scarves mingling among the allied re enactors ill know whats up in future...
Rgds Mountcashel
mountcashel

Postby templarcommander on Wed May 13, 2009 10:47 am

Hi Mountcashel,

Thank you for your post. Thankfully we have lots of Interest in this new direction and plenty of amazing information. I have the "Kommando" book, an interesting read to say the least.

Re. GI's with blue scarves, would we ;)

It promises to be great fun, and i am sure a nuisance to many Allies :-)

Watch out :-)
Kindest Regards,
Cornelius
templarcommander
Active Newbie

Postby tommyargue on Wed May 13, 2009 11:02 am

Hi Con.

Have you a kit list put together?
I want my scalps
tommyargue
Active Newbie
Full Name: jude stynes

Postby templarcommander on Wed May 13, 2009 4:10 pm

Hi there Jude,

yes indeed i have. All ready to go. Thankfully not too expensive either, and the "training" will be right up our street :)
Kindest Regards,
Cornelius
templarcommander
Active Newbie

Postby templarcommander on Wed May 13, 2009 5:33 pm

The Brandenburg Commandos.

My interest in this elite German army unit began more than 20 years ago. My main area of interest was their missions and the stories that surrounded these men. The 800th Special Duty Training and Construction Company was officially founded on 15th October 1939 (having their roots in WW1) and quickly became known as the Brandenburg commandos because their training HQ was in Brandenburg near Berlin. The Brandenburgers were answerable to the Abwher (German Intelligence Service). These men were trained in many areas such as: tracking and navigation, even moving silently through low grass, parachuting, diving, skiing, explosion skills etc ... they were masters in warfare , the ideal war machine . They were tested intensively, their abilities to improvise in dangerous situations were also tested, in short, a highly skilled soldier trained for any terrain, any mission. All these men were volunteers, they had to be intelligent, self reliant and prepared to use unorthodox methods to
achieve their mission goals if necessary. They were trained in guerrilla warfare, and like the SS, were trained with live ammo.

From the very start of W.W.II it was apparent to the German High Command that there was a need for special forces to make the tactics of Blitzkrieg a success. Rail junctions, Bridges, crossroad's and tunnels which who's capture is vital to any advancing army need to be guaranteed their seizure before they are destroyed by the retreating army which would hold up the advance. The Brandenburg Commando’s fulfilled this role.

These men were recruited from countries all over the world and were deliberately non-German looking. Unlike the SS, the Brandenburgers wanted men who looked like the enemy and not of pure aryan features.

The Brandenburg Commando’s�re �owed to shake hands instead of the military salute, so as to build unit ties. The Brandenburg Commando’s s�t�sta�rd for all modern special forces.

It must be emphasised at this point that these men were not spies by the strictest sense of the word. Yes it is true that they did sometimes wear the uniform of the enemy for intelligence gathering or in order to gain a tactical advantage but they removed these once contact was made with the enemy. Allied forces did the same and elite forces today do the same.

Of all of the German divisions of the Second World War, probably the least is known about the Brandenburg Division. Their reputation for bravery was second to none, their efficiency legendary and their skill awe inspiring.

The Brandenburg Commando’s wer�nvo�d in � following countries during WW2 and even before it:

France, Austria, Italy, UK, USSR, Norway, Finland, Sweden, Egypt, Jordan, Iraq, Afganistan, Syria, Romania, Hungary, Holland, India, Japan, USA, Ukraine, Ireland and so on and on.

I hope that this short intro. is helpful. If you are interested in re-enacting the Brandenburg Commandos, just contact me.
More to follow, when time allows. Enjoy!
Kindest Regards,
Cornelius
templarcommander
Active Newbie

Postby lightbringer on Wed May 13, 2009 8:07 pm

They are a very interseting unit1 However with Canaris's star on the wain and under suspicion, the Brandenburgers were tarred with the same brush! Unfortunately quite a lot them were taken prisoner when Rumania switched sides1 Others were incorporated into the Fallschirmjager and ended up going to support the besieged in Breslau.

Gluck Ab
You're losing,you're losing,you're losing your vitamin C, vitamin C

www.heavenandhell.org.uk
lightbringer
Active Newbie
Full Name: Michael Rother

Postby Heartofoak on Fri May 15, 2009 3:06 pm

Personally I have always had a particular interest in this Unit, unique in the German Army, and want to wish you the best of luck with the re-enactment project.

When you consider the many theatres in which Brandenburg operated, from the early days of 'Bau-Lehr Battalion z.b.V. Nr. 800' to its rise to the status of a division and wide range of uniforms worn (and not just the German), it will be pretty challenging when it comes to choosing a time/location to portray.

Are your group appearing at any of the shows in this years events calendar?
None
Heartofoak

Postby templarcommander on Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:24 pm

Hi there Heartofoak,

i just Pm'd you. Sorry i did not respond quicker. Thank you for your kind wishes. Yes the Brandenburg Commandos are a very interesting group to say the least. We were at the Curragh and Slane events, we will also be going to the Kinsale, Salute, Battle of the Ages events. Also any others we are invited to.

Remember if anyone is interested in joining us, just contact me. We are always looking for like minded people.
Kindest Regards,
Cornelius
templarcommander
Active Newbie

Return to 20th Century