another sword attack..

Moderator: the_power

another sword attack..

Postby pajo on Sat May 02, 2009 11:40 am

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0502/finglas.html

bugger all details.. but somehow I think things are gona start getting VERY hard for us.......
A hard on does NOT count as personal growth...

Effudistine potum melis meum...? Amice, nunc te interficiam.
pajo
Active Newbie

Re: another sword attack..

Postby brendan_the_lesser on Sat May 02, 2009 5:11 pm

well i dont know if this will make things worse, from what i heard on the radio it was another samurai sword, which have already been banned, so banning other swords would be like trying to stop gun attacks by banning things that looked like guns (pellet guns, nail guns, bananas etc...) if anything it just proves how pointless the sword ban already in place is...
Lorna Dane, She's a babe!

Expandable Youth?
brendan_the_lesser
Full Name: Brendan Halpin

Postby Jimsee7 on Sun May 03, 2009 12:14 am

They seem to favour Katanas is it just that their easier to get their hands on?

Ya, I think Katanas are already banned thats why I was unsure about the Sword Laws.
James McKeon
GMIT Living History Society - http://www.facebook.com/livinghistory.gmit
Jimsee7
Full Name: James McKeon

Postby pajo on Sun May 03, 2009 10:00 am

I had a VERY long chat with someone about two months ago with a guy in england who sells "hangers" and real swords, mostly hangers tho. And funnily enough, as someone who has sold them for a long time, his view wa the same as many ppls - it ISNT the swords that are the problem, its the PEOPLE buying them! which is why hez very strict about who he sells them too.

I believe it was mr mooney who said something about a rope, a block and a long trip on a boat? or something to that effect.. lol

thing is, you know how the goverment are.. they havent a CLUE how to deal with this stuff at all... and they seem to forget that ANYONE can go grab a big (or evn small) kitchen knife, utility knife etc... hell, most gardening tools are pretty bloody dangerous... But they'll just keep goin "ban ban ban" - jumping on the "ban" wagon... lol

pajo
Active Newbie

Postby bannerman on Sun May 03, 2009 10:46 am

Stick to the facts lads.

"samurai sword, which have already been banned" - Not true!
"It just proves how pointless the sword ban already in place is..." See above

Samuri swords have NOT been banned. The Minister for Justice is currently proposing changes to the law in which he is calling for a ban on "the sale of samuri swords" This weekends (sat&sun) edition of the Irish Times has an article about it. This bill has been proposed it is not law yet and even if it does become law the question is will it affect re-enactors swords. The simple answer is we dont know that yet. Lets keep informed of whats happening and not loose our heads in the meantime.

Padraig
http://www.warofindependence.net/

"Is doigh linn gur mor iad na daoine mora mar atamuid fein ar ar nglunaibh. - Eirimis!!!"
Jim Larkin 1913
bannerman
Active Newbie
Full Name: Padraig O Ruairc

Postby brendan_the_lesser on Sun May 03, 2009 5:14 pm

sorry, i meant to say 'which i think have been banned' because i wasn't sure if the bill was through yet or what, wasn't paying attention to what i typed...
and i still think the most important fact is that most attacks don't use swords, i mean forget about banning swords, ban knives first if you're going to do anything, hell a screwdriver's just as deadly in an attack as a katana, more so if you think about how easy it is to conceal...
Lorna Dane, She's a babe!

Expandable Youth?
brendan_the_lesser
Full Name: Brendan Halpin

Postby Jimsee7 on Sun May 03, 2009 6:01 pm

It ISNT the swords that are the problem, it's the PEOPLE buying them!

It's the Same with Guns. As Chris Rock says "They should increase the Price of Bullets."
James McKeon
GMIT Living History Society - http://www.facebook.com/livinghistory.gmit
Jimsee7
Full Name: James McKeon

Postby tommyargue on Sun May 03, 2009 9:22 pm

Theoriticly (not sure I spelt that correctly)... you can beat someone to death with a toaster, dismember them with an electric carving knife then get rid of the evidence with a microwave, why don't they go the whole hog and ban all small appliances.. oh, and cars aswell by the way, they're lethal you know and agricultural equipment like scythes, scicles, slash hooks and combine harvesters. What I'm trying to say really is the only dangerous componant to any mechanical device is the pudgy organic componant using it. The answer to that problem is quite simple, make the consequences of the said pudgy organic componants' iresponsible behaviour something to fear. People do the stuff they do because they don't fear the consequences. Guns and all sorts of dangerous weapons were quite common in Ireland in the 60's and 70's but non poloiticly motivated gun crime was very rare. For a very good reason, even criminals had respect for human life, mostly their own, the death sentence was still on the books.
I want my scalps
tommyargue
Active Newbie
Full Name: jude stynes

Postby Dave Mooney on Sun May 03, 2009 9:29 pm

Don't ban knives, they're only tools, Ban the perpetrators!

But really, banning anything only makes it more desirable....especially to the unlawful.

In this case it seems to have been a domestic so it may as well have been a potato peeler.
Dave Mooney.
Mogh Roith- Historical Living History Group. http://moghroith.org
Dave Mooney
Active Newbie
Full Name: Dave Mooney

Postby pajo on Mon May 04, 2009 9:18 am

just to be clear, when I spoke of the ban, I was speaking of england.. where I was talking to the fella... :)

but I'm in one hundred percent agreement with Dave and Tommy, it IS the people that are the problem... tommy kinda put my words a bit father, by adding in toasters etc... which is EXACTLY what I was getting at... ANYTHING with an edge or a bit of wieght can be used as an effective weapon! but they'l go ban "samuri" swords (I really really really hate that wording), make life difficult on the likes of us, make it more desirable for trouble makers to get swords (coz dont ya know that would make them 'cooler' - "hey look what I was able to get!")

unfortunatly, because of the nature of the human race, no matter what we do, we'll never be able to resolve the issue fully... we may just face it, ppl are s**ts.... :(

pajo
Active Newbie

Next

Return to General Chat