Posponed - Battle of the Ages

Let us know about interesting events here

Moderator: the_power

Posponed - Battle of the Ages

Postby Nerva on Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:20 pm

Salvete Omnes!

Unfortunately I have to announce the postponement of Battle of the Ages. Basically we are the meat in the sandwich between Cork Corporation on the one side and The Munster Agricultural Society (MAS) on the other.

As part of the Cork docklands redevelopment scheme, the showground’s was ear marked for a mixed residential and commercial development including a large public green space. In 2008 Cork Corporation issued a compulsory purchase order on the site. The corporation were due to take possession on the 1st of February last and, for reasons unknown to me, they failed to do. The corporations interest in the site is primarily based on a significant development proceeding on the site, which given the current economic climate, is now is on the back burner indefinitely.

With the help of the lord mayor an agreement was reached between the parties where Cork Corporation would take possession on the 30th of April, and on this basis MAS would facilitate our event and extend the insurances to cover it and all was well. On Thursday last I received an email from the parks department, with whom we had been working, telling me that the corporation would not be taking possession by the 2nd of May but arrangements had been made with MAS to allow the event to go ahead. Having discussed this with MAS chairman, it quickly became apparent that this was not the case, and for legal reasons they could not facilitate the event unless the council took possession as agreed.

I was told by the corporation this morning that they would not take possession until the end of May. This is probably due to the fact that the oral hearing for planning and compensation to MAS does not happen until then and they would probably like to put off possession until then.

So we now find ourselves in legal no mans land, and rather than wait until the last minute I have decided to postpone it now. I say postpone because I do still intend to run the event this season. The corporation have to take possession by the 1st of June or else rescind the order. The lord mayor, obviously embarrassed by the situation has offered compensation and confirmed funds will be available to run the event later on in the year.

We have been offered an alternate venue but at this stage we do not have time to make the necessary arrangements to set up, advertise etc, but we will explore this for running the event in June. Once the corporation have taken possession I will announce a new date but for now please accept my apologies for messing people around. We have been offered an alternate venue but at this stage we do not have time to make the necessary arrangements to set up etc, but we will explore this for running the event in June.

Valete

Nerva
Vale

Marcvs Vlpius Nerva

Legion Ireland - Roman Military Society of Ireland
Pilus Prior Cohors VIII Legionis XX Valeria Victrix

http://www.romanarmy.ie

info@romanarmy.ie

nerva@romanarmy.ie
Nerva
Active Newbie
Full Name: Martin McAree

Location: Corcagia, Hibernia Pronvincia - Cork, Ireland, to you Barbarians!

Re: Posponed - Battle of the Ages

Postby pajo on Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:27 pm

no bother martin lad, I had known that it might be put off... pity, but these things happen...

one thing tho, "the meat in the sandwich"? lol.... we're all reenactors here, we'll all c the innuendo in it.... lol!
A hard on does NOT count as personal growth...

Effudistine potum melis meum...? Amice, nunc te interficiam.
pajo
Active Newbie

Postby Dave Mooney on Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:28 pm

And Pajo is the new Todd! Cyber 5!

Sorry to here about that Martin. Jeez gigs are dropping off all over for one reason or other. Non of it re-enactors faults either.

Can I ask a potentially stupid question... is 'Battle of the Ages' and 'Battle of the Ancients' one and the same?
Dave Mooney.
Mogh Roith- Historical Living History Group. http://moghroith.org
Dave Mooney
Active Newbie
Full Name: Dave Mooney

Postby Nerva on Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:31 pm

Hi Dave

Yep, one in the same. We had to change the name beacuse we had groups depicting periods right up to modern times.
Vale

Marcvs Vlpius Nerva

info@romanarmy.ie

nerva@romanarmy.ie
Nerva
Active Newbie

Postby Dave Mooney on Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:35 pm

This was explained to me before....!
Dave Mooney.
Mogh Roith- Historical Living History Group. http://moghroith.org
Dave Mooney
Active Newbie
Full Name: Dave Mooney

Postby Na Fianna Éireann on Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:11 pm

hi martin sorry to hear this as we were all geared up to attend this event , had the tents out weathering , talk to you soon regards shergar
Na Fianna Éireann Fíor inár gCroíthe Neart inár Láimhe Comhsheasmhacht inár dTeanga.
Na Fianna Éireann
Active Newbie
Full Name: i never forget

Postby Maid-MarionRose on Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:41 pm

Heard whisper of the problems, so sorry your organising goes awry. Trust things run smoothly for re-schedule!
Best wishes
Talk soon
Marion Rose

Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loud and enjoy life!
Maid-MarionRose
Active Newbie
Full Name: Marion Rose

Postby panda on Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:07 pm

Please excuse me as I go and step out side...some of the words and phrases I'm about to use may curdle milk within line of site of peoples monitors..... :x :evil:
"Althalus was a thief after all and he devoutly believed that actually working for a living was immoral"

Remember kids: fork + shoe = spleen

Fightin, drinkin' an' snaffling coo beastie!!!!!!!!!!
panda
Active Newbie

Postby Nerva on Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:14 pm

Bureaucracy at it's best :evil:

But look, it will happen. I'm checking with the UK based groups to try and work out an acceptable date in June.
Vale

Marcvs Vlpius Nerva

info@romanarmy.ie

nerva@romanarmy.ie
Nerva
Active Newbie

Postby brendan_the_lesser on Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:43 pm

Ah, sorry to hear that, was really looking forward to it, but like you say completely out of your control,
hopefully the rescheduling works out
Lorna Dane, She's a babe!

Expandable Youth?
brendan_the_lesser
Full Name: Brendan Halpin

Next

Return to Events