Swords & Fire Arms, Laws?

Irish and European fighting styles and techniques, and the required Arms & Armour

Moderator: the_power

Swords & Fire Arms, Laws?

Postby Jimsee7 on Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:52 pm

Is their any legal restrictions for importing a Sword, Musket, Etc? :|
James McKeon
GMIT Living History Society - http://www.facebook.com/livinghistory.gmit
Jimsee7
Full Name: James McKeon

Re: Swords & Fire Arms, Laws?

Postby Sgt. Buckingham on Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:20 pm

To import any firearm it depends on where you are getting it from.....you'll need a licence from your local Superintendant and sometimes a licence from the Dept. of Justice.
Sgt. Buckingham,
7/30th Mo. Inf. Vols,
(Missouri Irish Brigade)
8th Mo. Inf. Vols,
(American Zouaves)
Sgt. Buckingham
Full Name: Dave Levins

Postby finnobreanan on Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:51 pm

I just shipped four swords from here in the US to my nephews in Tipperary. Claimed it on customs and they had no problems.
Finn O'Breanan
Wood Kerne

"...The O'Brennans, a sept of thieves without any right or title, ... were a perpetual disturbance to the peace of the county,"
finnobreanan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Scott Cross

Postby knightofredemption on Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:47 pm

I have not long come back from Wales with a car full of swords, both sharps and blunts. I was stopped by security and all they wanted to do was hold a couple :lol: It seems that common sense is prevailing in the light of recent shenanigans. If they want to pay an interest, they could request to see evidence of membership to a club or society, but so far this has not happened.
Everything in moderation, including Moderation.
knightofredemption
Site Admin
Full Name: Paul Wickham

Postby vimes on Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:38 am

Under the last raft of laws re-enactment swords, knives etc count as theatrical props. so there should be no problems with them. As far as firearms go the best thing is to buy through a local dealer who can help with the paper work, What you are looking for for a musket is a limited (not for hunting) licence for a front loading shotgun
If you belive in yourself, follow your dreams, and trust in your star ..you will always be beaten by people who worked hard and were'nt as lazy as you
vimes
Full Name: Francis Devenney

Postby the_power on Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:39 am

Fran, I contacted the Dept. of Justice for clarification. The 2006 firearms legislation has no distinction between weapons and props. On the contrary, they are explicit that anything that looks like a weapon is subject to the "max 10 year sentance" if it causes "excitement or distress". The proposed Miscellaneous Provisions bill extends that to items of militaria, like combat vests, anything that looks like modern armour etc. The justification is to make sure they can prosecute someone for entering a bank with a Banana in a paper bag, or a Drug Dealer who has taken to wearing combat vests with kevlar plates as protection.

There is no problem with having props in the boot, or at a show. You take them out of their expected context (like a main street, a pub, etc.) and be prepared to get a lot of hassle.

John
the_power
Active Newbie
Full Name: John Looney

Postby Jimsee7 on Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:10 pm

Ya my Law Tutor said something about that but I didn't understand.

That I do. Tks :)
James McKeon
GMIT Living History Society - http://www.facebook.com/livinghistory.gmit
Jimsee7
Full Name: James McKeon

Return to Historic Martial Arts, Arms and Armour