12th/13th Century Kit.

Viking, Saxon, and Early Christian Irish cultures

Moderator: the_power

12th/13th Century Kit.

Postby bonnacon on Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:35 am

Hi All,

I am looking to get a 12th/13th century kit organised, and so far have hit a brick wall in clothing, weapons etc that would ave been available during that particular period.

Apart from the stuff written by Giraldus Cambrensis and the associated drawings, are there any other sources showing clothing of the period?

Any help whatsoever will be muchly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jon
He that is annoyed.
bonnacon
Full Name: Jon Clay

Re: 12th/13th Century Kit.

Postby claimhteoir on Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:37 pm

I have to admit that when it comes to kit, the 12th and 13th centuries are not a period I'm most familiar with. But, let's see if we can't sort something out.

I would imagine things wouldn't have progressed too far from the time of the Anglo-Norman conquest, so the drawings in Giraldus Cambrensis' works must be considered the most reliable primary source, even if he was a biased, self-serving, subjective rascist. Once we're aware of that, there is no problem using his works with necessary caution.

There is a slightly later depiction of Art Mac Murchada Caemanach (who lived in the 14thC), which might help with addressing the evolution of kit between the two periods somewhat. You can find that here, together with further kit advice for the later medieval Irish hobilar:
http://www.geocities.com/na_degadmediev ... pment.html

Also, there is a discussion on late medieval helmets here which may be of use. The standard Norman conical would probably be best though for the 12/13th centuries, for high status Irish. I'm not sure though:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=288

Finally, I know of a good book that shows the social, legal and cultural effects of the Anglo-Norman establishment, looking at the late medieval period and the evolution (or devolution) of Gaelic society and kingdoms. I don't think it has any kit info in it, but if that's a period you want to portray it's a must read! It's called Gaelic and Gaelicised Ireland in the Middle Ages by K. W. Nicholls.

Hope that was of some help!
Eóin
claimhteoir
Active Newbie
Full Name: None Set

Postby bonnacon on Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:19 am

Thanks Eóin!

Jon
He that is annoyed.
bonnacon
Full Name: Jon Clay

Postby Alienor on Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:40 am

Here you may look through some old Psalter and Bibles with pictures in it.
I can't link my search, but try English illuminated manuscripts (1151-1200)
http://www.wga.hu/
Alienor
Full Name: Ursula Becker

Postby claimhteoir on Sun May 03, 2009 6:39 pm

claimhteoir
Active Newbie
Full Name: None Set

Postby Fahey on Sun May 10, 2009 3:28 am

that link to google book was very interesting , was i reading the first part of the clothing correct, the leine was sleeveless??
Fahey
Full Name: Geremy Gulino

Return to Early-Medieval