Reruns

Moderator: the_power

Reruns

Postby tommyargue on Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:03 pm

Earlier this year film four announced they were screening "The Wind That Shakes The Barley" among other films in their new season. They screened it once and haven't screened it again since. I noticed this before with "Rebel Heart" when it was made back in 2000 or 2001, I can't rememeber which. It was screened by RTE and the BBC and hasn't been screened again since then. Not even on any of the satelite uktv channels and they rehash all sorts of programming all the time.

Was making these drama's merely enough, a pissy attempt at reconcilliating the past, for both sides. Every body's hands were dirty, not just the crown administration. Or is just showing these drama's the once enough??

What do you all think??

Jude
I want my scalps
tommyargue
Active Newbie
Full Name: jude stynes

Re: Reruns

Postby Nerva on Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:58 pm

Salve Jude

I think the problem is that these productions appeal to a fairly narrow slice of the public, and mostly the Irish public at that. Perhaps it's still a bit of a raw nerve with many people?

Just my two Denari...
Vale

Marcvs Vlpius Nerva

Legion Ireland - Roman Military Society of Ireland
Pilus Prior Cohors VIII Legionis XX Valeria Victrix

http://www.romanarmy.ie

info@romanarmy.ie

nerva@romanarmy.ie
Nerva
Active Newbie
Full Name: Martin McAree

Location: Corcagia, Hibernia Pronvincia - Cork, Ireland, to you Barbarians!

Postby tommyargue on Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:22 pm

Hiya Martin.

That could be it, but if uktv were the only channels you had on your telly, then by now you'd know every line of every episode of "Sharpe". Not that I've anything against Sharpe but I don't think it's anymore intersting than "Rebel Heart". I really don't think viewers tastes is a contributing factor here it's more about viewers sensitivity's. For some people the events portrayed in Rebel Heart are memory rather than history.
I want my scalps
tommyargue
Active Newbie

Postby pajo on Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:14 pm

I think your forgetting one important thing... cost of programming. the rights to show something like sharpe would be a lot lower than a movie like say 'Barley... ANs they're gona show the cheap stuff a lot more... all the channels do it, its unfortunate, but its fact... (trust me, I watch a LOT of TV... lol!)
A hard on does NOT count as personal growth...

Effudistine potum melis meum...? Amice, nunc te interficiam.
pajo
Active Newbie

Postby Nerva on Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:46 pm

tommyargue wrote:Hiya Martin.

I really don't think viewers tastes is a contributing factor here it's more about viewers sensitivity's.

You may well have hit the nail on the head there Jude.

As for Pajo "A hard on does NOT count as personal growth..."...Dam, just when I thought I was getting better :roll: Although the doctor tells me I should expect a hard on any day now :lol:
Vale

Marcvs Vlpius Nerva

Legion Ireland - Roman Military Society of Ireland
Pilus Prior Cohors VIII Legionis XX Valeria Victrix

http://www.romanarmy.ie

info@romanarmy.ie

nerva@romanarmy.ie
Nerva
Active Newbie
Full Name: Martin McAree

Location: Corcagia, Hibernia Pronvincia - Cork, Ireland, to you Barbarians!

Postby pajo on Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:07 pm

ah now martin, are u only seeing that now? lol! Ah now tho, it does say "personal" growth.... not physical... lol!
A hard on does NOT count as personal growth...

Effudistine potum melis meum...? Amice, nunc te interficiam.
pajo
Active Newbie

Postby bannerman on Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:00 pm

"I think the problem is that these productions appeal to a fairly narrow slice of the public, and mostly the Irish public at that. Perhaps it's still a bit of a raw nerve with many people?" - Nerva

Id have to disagree with you there Nerva! I think this is the period of Irish History that most people know about (or at least think know about) and are most interested in. You will often hear debates in pubs about "Who shot Michael Collins?", every town, village and bog hole in the country had some local tale (real or imagined) that is constantly repeated about the damage the Black and Tans wrought there and everybody claims that their grandad was either in the G.P.O. or leading an Old I.R.A. flying column.

Two of the biggest selling books in Ireland in the last two years were Sebastian Barry's "Its A Long Way" about Irishmen in WW1 and 1916 and "Judging Dev" by Diarmuid ferriter which had a strong 1916-1923 element. Infact go to any book shop in the country and you will find far more history titles on Michael Collins and the 1916 - 1923 period than any other historical time period or subject.

Also I believe that "The Wind That Shakes the Barley" is one of the largest grosing if not the largest grosing film yet released in Ireland. As for it being too close to the bone I found in the years I have done tour guiding it has always been the most popular period of Irish history that most Irish, British and American visitors to Heritage sites I worked at.
Itouched on this subject in my post "Hiding History and Re-enacting It" viewtopic.php?f=18&t=656

So it looks like the Black and Tans are winning the popularity contest! :lol:

Hail Caeser
Padraig
http://www.warofindependence.net/

"Is doigh linn gur mor iad na daoine mora mar atamuid fein ar ar nglunaibh. - Eirimis!!!"
Jim Larkin 1913
bannerman
Active Newbie
Full Name: Padraig O Ruairc

Postby tommyargue on Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:22 pm

Hiya Padraig.

"The wind that shakes the barley" is looked upon here as a historical documentary almost instaed of a dramatisation. As a film, it's not that great. The acting with exceptions (Liam Cunningham and Chillian Murphy) is no great shakes and the dialogue seems contrived or unnatural, but teachers all over the country are using it as a teaching tool which is a very good thing I think. "Rebel Heart" deserved to be seen alot more than it was though. Ronan Bennett quite correctly pointed out the differences between the groups involved in the struggle, the citizens army weren't too pushed about having a republic "Who says an Irish boss will be any better than an English one, just because he wears a green suit and speaks a bit of the auld gealic" one of my favourite lines from the show.
I want my scalps
tommyargue
Active Newbie

Return to General Chat