Lathing ?

Share your work & ask for assistence for arts & crafts that don't fit into a specific time period

Moderator: the_power

Lathing ?

Postby the_power on Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:53 pm

Anyone want a setup for a wood lathe ? It'll need a little room, unfortunately. From the owner:

Good home wanted for pole lathe

If you ever wanted to try your hand at pole-lathing, here is an ideal starter lathe. It's modeled on a turn of the century (no pun intended) lathe used by bodgers for making chair legs and other spindle work. It would be ideal for someone already into woodwork who had a few tools and an interest in woodturning. It could not be used at shows for a number of reasons (the type of timber, the metal bolts and the threaded cranked handle) but it would be perfect in a workshop, shed, or even in the back garden. Once you've got the hang of it, you can then build your own authentic one.
It needs a tool rest (simple; just a piece of wood), a pole (a long ash or hazel pole is fine), and some tools and timber to turn.
I can give the new owner plenty of advice on how to set it up and use it. It's fun to do, and safe. It's sitting in my workshop in Leixlip; just email me if you are interested, then come and collect. It would fit in the boot of an average car, on a roof-rack, or in the back of a van.

See the two attachments of the rig & lathe.

John
Attachments
lathe2.jpg
lathe2.jpg (1.15 MiB) Viewed 956 times
lathe1.jpg
lathe1.jpg (1.13 MiB) Viewed 952 times
the_power
Active Newbie
Full Name: John Looney

Return to Arts & Crafts