Worst War Of Independence Re-enactment ever

From the Crimean War to the Wars in the Gulf. The death of global empires and the rise of a global economy.

Moderator: the_power

Worst War Of Independence Re-enactment ever

Postby bannerman on Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:23 pm

[Text deleted - by author as a result of a personal request]

1930's bandoliers, modern trench coats and other bad kit still have to be fully erradicated from War of independence re-enactment here - in terms of accuracy we are good but there is room for improvement all round. (My own kit included.) Rather than shout at people about what is wrong im trying to help by answering queries posted here and by putting up kit lists here.

So far Ive only done the ICA and 1916 Irish Volunteer in full - But I hope to get doing the Black and Tans/ Auxies and other groups soon.
Keep watching this space.

Padraig
Last edited by bannerman on Tue May 18, 2010 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.warofindependence.net/

"Is doigh linn gur mor iad na daoine mora mar atamuid fein ar ar nglunaibh. - Eirimis!!!"
Jim Larkin 1913
bannerman
Active Newbie
Full Name: Padraig O Ruairc

Re: Worst War Of Independence Re-enactment ever

Postby pajo on Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:01 am

wow.... just... wow.... see if u can spot dick tracy in "West Cork before marching in the St. Paddy's Day Parade"... seriously... the guy with the Irish flag (hey wait, that flag woznt in use yet woz it?) behind his left shoulder... its dick tracy!

Well hey Padraig, at least when we see crap that bad, we can all feel a lil bit better about our crap bits (whatever our period)! lol!
A hard on does NOT count as personal growth...

Effudistine potum melis meum...? Amice, nunc te interficiam.
pajo
Active Newbie

Postby Irish-American on Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:14 am

They certainly wouldn't have carried a tricolor openly??
Irish-American
Active Newbie
Full Name: I'd rather not say

Postby bannerman on Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:39 am

Am not sure quite what your saying about flags there Pajo the tricolour was widely in use. The starry plough flag of the ICA which they are pictured with was not, as there was only one made, it flew from the Imperial Hotel during easter week and was captured by the British. It was definately not flown by flying columns in West Cork in 1920-1921

Dick Treacy ? The Tommy Gun? Actually the tommy gun was designed and invented for trench clearence by the U.S. Army in WW1 but it reached the port in New York on its way to Europe the day the war ended 11-11-1918. Clan Na Gael the I.R.B.'s front organiseation soon bought up the first batch of tommy guns shortly after but only three or four ever reached Ireland before the Truce of 11th July 1921 and all of these were in Dublin not West Cork - they wouldent have arrived there until well into the Civil War ot the Truce at the very earliest. However an I.R.A. ambush on a train carrying British Troops in June of 1921 was apparently the first time the tommy gun was ever used in a war. There were a number of articles about the Tommy Gun in Ireland published in the Irish Sword a few years back! Again like the Starry Plough flagg it was definately not used in west cork between 1920 -1921

[Text deleted - by author]

Lets face it there have been two major motion pictures made on the 1916-1923 period both with fairly good kit, (Michael Collins the film had a few flaws!) There are tens of 1000's of period photos available, there are 1000's of veterans accounts of the war of Independence available through the national archives, there are 100's of books published on the period and there are still people alive who were there at the time that you can go and talk to! In ainm de, an quare fella agus na naofa go leor... Im only 25 and yet I managed to meet Lieutennant Col. Sean Clancy from Clonlara in Clare who fought in the W.O.I. and Civil War who died aged 105 about two years ago. My grand aunt is in her 90's and she remembers seeing the Tans in Milltown Malbay as a very young girl. With this kind of incredibly rich research material available, when you can go to a museums storage and hold an origional 1916 uniform (- or even buy an origional at auction in Whytes if you have the money)

I imagine most Viking or Medieval re-enactors would kill for the wealth and detail of information that we have available for this period.
Padraig
Last edited by bannerman on Tue May 18, 2010 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Is doigh linn gur mor iad na daoine mora mar atamuid fein ar ar nglunaibh. - Eirimis!!!"
Jim Larkin 1913
bannerman
Active Newbie

Postby Irish-American on Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:00 am

Now that comped the myspace pic to a 1919 photo of the west cork boys I am just applauded! If those were my Civil War lads I'd stuff 'em into our cannon. :D There is a difference between doing something because you CAN'T find a resrouce and because you think its "Good enough." This does just hold true to just IWI but any reenactor should be having a heartattack!
Irish-American
Active Newbie
Full Name: I'd rather not say

Postby tommyargue on Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:40 am

Lads!!! I think your taking this a little bit too serious. There were other things that bunch of yahoo's could've done for St. Patricks day but they chose, ok, a very loose and uninformed way of honouring brave men. I grant you the way they went about it was kinda crap, but I'm sure the intention was sincere.
I want my scalps
tommyargue
Active Newbie
Full Name: jude stynes

Postby Dave Mooney on Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:48 am

This isn't just their parade get-up. They're a group that does this a good bit seemingly. Check their MySpace profile.

Yes, I'd dread going to any multi period 'Ren-Fair' let alone an 'Ire-ish' themed anything in the States. I dread going to most multi period here and we're largely close to right in most areas. For that matter I also dread 'Ire-ish' themed anything here as well.

The ren-fairs do look fun but there is no evidence of any authenticity police at any I've ever seen photos of. And from what my US friends tell me there usually isn't.
This is bound to be racist but they look like they've got more Tony's than Mick's in their club. I count only 2 muck-savage heads in there.

I like the 'Gandalf and Patton' photo in should be entitled 'Cultural Heroes' or something. This shot is my favourite though...for all the right reasons :P
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.c ... ID=4540861
Dave Mooney.
Mogh Roith- Historical Living History Group. http://moghroith.org
Dave Mooney
Active Newbie
Full Name: Dave Mooney

Postby soutreb on Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:26 pm

I saw the stuff and it doesn't look good. If those of us doing ACW made the kind of errors that these guys have made, we'd be laughed out of the gig and told that unless it's "correct period" then we don't partake.
Speaking of films, I have one entitled " Irish Destiny", produced in 1926 and I reckon that it's accurate, but not being as well informed as "Bannerman" I'm open to correction.
God Bless Dixie,
Soutreb.
Cpl. "F Troop," 1st MO Cav (Dis) C.S.A.
Cpl. Co.F, 6th LA Vol. Inf. C.S.A.
Cpl. 10th TN Vol. Inf. C.S.A.
soutreb
Full Name: Liam McAlister

Postby pajo on Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:49 pm

hello again Mr. Óg, I probably should have written that while slightly more awake... the dick treacy thing was in regards to his general look, he looked VERY early detective kinda lookin' thingy if ya get my meaning... If you think Last Man Standing even, with Bruce willis... I know the tommy gun was in use yea, we had talked about that before at duncannon (you were telling me about it then).

On the flag, that was an actual question, rather than a statement, because its one that confuses me sometimes as I've heard different things about it, in school... and we know how that usually ends up.... lol! But yea, it was an actual question, was it in use like? I had learned that it came in later and was to do with the joining of the republic (green) and the north (orange/gold) the white being the peace between them.... thats just what I was taught in school like. Please do feel free to educate me properly on it! At least I know u know what ur on about!
A hard on does NOT count as personal growth...

Effudistine potum melis meum...? Amice, nunc te interficiam.
pajo
Active Newbie

Postby bannerman on Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:13 pm

Inspired by events in France in 1848 republican revolutions broke out in Berlin, Vienna, Rome, Prague, Budapest and Krakow. ‘The spring time of the peoples’,� the wave of revolutions became known, toppled European monarchies and absolutist royal families replacing them with liberal democratic governments. William Smith O Brien and Thomas Francis Meagher lead an Irish republican delegation to France to congratulate the French revolutionaries on their successes. In return the French presented Meagher with a new flag for the Young Irelanders revolution; a tri colour of green, white and orange. Green symbolising the Irish Republicans, orange symbolising the Irish unionists and white for peace and unity between them in a free Ireland. It came to replace the traditional republican flag of a golden harp on a green field and was eventually adopted as the Irish flag. All of the tricolours we know about from 1848 were of the same green white and orange arrangement but sometimes it was flown with the orange next to the staff.

Article 7 of the Irish Constitution (1937) states that; The national flag is a tricolour of green white and orange.

A bilingual booklet An Bhratach Naisiunta - The National Flag ISBN 0 7076 9101 is available from the Government Publications sale office. Molesworth St. Dublin 2 - which sets out the flags history and the protocol of using and displaying the flag.

The whole green white and gold nonsense started for two reasons - 1 alliteration Green and Gold
2 Secterianism any attempt to deny the non secterian nature of past republican uprisings by right-wing Catholic Nationalists (the likes of the Anchient Order Of Hibernians) who claimed that green stood for Ireland and white and gold were ths colours of the Vatican and mother church!
This is kept alive by ignorance and commemtators on both sporting and cultural gatherings often refer to ; a sea of green white and gold! :evil: As you can probably tell this is a real Bugbear of mine!

Jim Larkin 1913
bannerman
Active Newbie

Next

Return to 20th Century