Gig at Kilcully Scout Camp

Let us know about interesting events here

Moderator: the_power

Gig at Kilcully Scout Camp

Postby brendan_the_lesser on Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:02 pm

i've been asked to try to get a few bodies for a medieval themed Cub scout weekend in Kilcully scout camp in Cork.
Its set for the 12th to 14th of June (does that clash with anything?) and the plan at the moment is for an early medieval theme, so Vikings and Early Irish, but that may change. not sure what they want us to do, a couple of battles, maybe some crafts and cooking, but i'd say it will be a fairly relaxed Gig.

No money but we can provide food for any that attend, and i know most of us would travel the length of the country for a free meal...

The only other major thing i have to mention is that the camp has a no alcohol rule, but there is a pub within stumbling distance i believe.

Let me know if you're interested, Thanks a load!
Lorna Dane, She's a babe!

Expandable Youth?
brendan_the_lesser
Full Name: Brendan Halpin

Re: Gig at Kilcully Scout Camp

Postby Nerva on Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:19 pm

Salve Brendan!

I'll put the word out there and see what we can do for you. Sounds like a fun event.
Vale

Marcvs Vlpius Nerva

Legion Ireland - Roman Military Society of Ireland
Pilus Prior Cohors VIII Legionis XX Valeria Victrix

http://www.romanarmy.ie

info@romanarmy.ie

nerva@romanarmy.ie
Nerva
Active Newbie
Full Name: Martin McAree

Location: Corcagia, Hibernia Pronvincia - Cork, Ireland, to you Barbarians!

Postby brendan_the_lesser on Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:22 pm

ya it should be a good gig anyway, i'm meeting with a few of the leaders tomorrow so i should have a better idea of what the want us to do, and i'll let ye know what i find out...

Expandable Youth?
brendan_the_lesser

Postby pajo on Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:12 pm

Any more word on this yet...?
A hard on does NOT count as personal growth...

Effudistine potum melis meum...? Amice, nunc te interficiam.
pajo
Active Newbie

Postby brendan_the_lesser on Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:41 pm

okay, haven't been able to get a definite idea of what they want done at this but at the moment i'm thinking of doing a small tourney, let the various groups pick a champion and fight it out, also a couple of small battles if we have enough numbers.
LH wise i'd really like to do a fire lighting workshop, with flint and steel strikers, so if anyone has these it'd be awesome if they could bring em along, also a bit of cooking and maybe some work with wool, spinning it into thread and stuff like that. Basically any medieval skills simple enough to teach to a bunch of 10 year olds. if you have more complicated things you'd like to show off then displays are always possible

period wise as i've said i'd like to see a good turn out of vikings and early irish if i can, but any normans, crusaders or whatever are more then welcome!
I'll do a better update once i have a proper idea of what they want us to do, and any suggestions, advice or criticism here would be greatly appreciated
and the date is still fixed for the weekend of the 12th of June

Thanks Lads!
-Brendan

Expandable Youth?
brendan_the_lesser

Postby pajo on Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:03 pm

I could be wrong, but as far I know that wont be clashing with anything, so you chould def be able to count me in for it.

I have a stell and some flint... and if I can get my arse in gear and find a few other things, I do know a REALLY cool way of lighting a fire... and keeping an ember for going for hours and hours so u can carry it in a bag!!! but I just need to check it out again real quick...

If u want, I can bring along a bow and that and do a lil arhcery display aswell. kids alwayz love to see arrows fly XD

pajo
Active Newbie

Postby brendan_the_lesser on Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:13 pm

ya there's plenty of room at the site so we should be well able to set up an archery range, as you say the kids love to see bows and that.

Was talking to my brother (who's one of the Cub leaders for this) he likes the ideas so far, but i have to wait a week or two to talk to the main person in charge, to get a real idea of what they want us to do, and once i have a proper meeting with them i'll let ye know.

I should be at Battle of the Ancients so we can discuss any plans then, i'll also be doing a bit of recruiting, try to guilt some more people into going...

Expandable Youth?
brendan_the_lesser

Postby brendan_the_lesser on Sat May 02, 2009 5:32 pm

Okay, (finally) had a meeting with the Cub leader organising this thing, gave me the basic outline of what they want done:

Craft bases and activities on Saturday, so for us this should include firelighting, cooking, felt-making and any other crafts you can think of and would care to do, the more activities the better. Does anyone have access to a coin press? that would be great to see...

Sunday if going to be more fun stuff, so a tournament, dressing kids up in armour, sticking people in a stocks, things like that.

they are basing their theme on the Irish myths and legends, so Saturday i'd like to see everyone in either early Irish or Viking kit, i think they'd be the most appropriate, Sunday is a free-for-all, wear what you want, in fact i think the more different medieval periods we can get the better, it will make the tournament much more interesting.

Pajo, if you or anyone else wants to bring bows then please do, there's plenty of room and we can set up targets and netting, we might even do some demonstrations of combat archery if ye're up for it.

Like i say there should be a tourny on Sunday, we're going to let the various groups pick champions and fight it out, but i'm sure we can have an area if people want to scrap a bit on Saturday as well, for safety Head and Hand protection are mandatory, and chest protection is recommended.

I've managed to get indoor accomodation at the site, as well as free food for the reenacters, so if you want a nice, fun, free weekend then let me know...

If you have any questions, suggestions or offers please contact me, i've never organised an event so any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Expandable Youth?
brendan_the_lesser

Postby pajo on Mon May 04, 2009 9:22 am

no prob lad, I'll definatly come along. I'll bring along a couple bows of course.

just on the food thing, if u could give them a gentle reminder that vegetarians do exsist.......... lol

pajo
Active Newbie

Postby brendan_the_lesser on Mon May 04, 2009 5:13 pm

Ya thats no problem, kids these days have all kinds of different dietry requirements, so they'll have a veggy option anyway, but i'll say it to the leaders closer to the date, just to be sure, cant have you wasting away...

Expandable Youth?
brendan_the_lesser

Next

Return to Events