My friend in Ireland needs help with paper

From the Crimean War to the Wars in the Gulf. The death of global empires and the rise of a global economy.

Moderator: the_power

My friend in Ireland needs help with paper

Postby Irish-American on Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:48 pm

My bloody stupid friend James needs help with finding a Ebook for a paper on WW2. (Why I'm covering his arse I don't know)He needs to find a ebook on the use of the A-bomb on Japan for Friday. (For the record this not one of those "I got this friend.." but its me deals.) So, plz help your own :D
Irish-American
Active Newbie
Full Name: I'd rather not say

Re: My friend in Ireland needs help with paper

Postby bannerman on Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:10 pm

(Why I'm covering his arse I don't know)

Eh... neither do I? I appreciate that you are interested in re-enactment and have an obvious passion and interest for Irish history. But your friend should realy be doing his own work - theres plenty of educational resources available on the net that he should be looking up himself. Not to mention the old fashioned idea of opening a book! I say let your "bloody stupid friend James" stew on this one. If he dosent learn to do his own reading and research he will never get to grips with history. Dare I ask if he wants it for his special topic in his Leaving Cert mocks?

There seem to be an increasing number of posts here lately by high school students asking us to get them information for school projects. While I realise that this website is an educational resource I thought It was based around educating re-enactors, improving kit accuracy, planning upcoming events, suggesting new ideas for living history etc.

As Ive said I can see you have a great enthousiasm for living history and this isnt a personal dig at you. Please dont take it that way. I dont mind sharing information with anyone especialy interested re-enactors like yourself.

Sorry lads I know this makes me seem like an even narkier old grinch than I realy am ( and the truth is fairly bad!) but i think this needs to be said before we start getting an avalanche of appeals for history essays, answers to homework etc.
Please let me know if Im taking this too far

Padraig the grumpy Tan NNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!

(Who poo-ed in his porridge this morning you ask?)
http://www.warofindependence.net/

"Is doigh linn gur mor iad na daoine mora mar atamuid fein ar ar nglunaibh. - Eirimis!!!"
Jim Larkin 1913
bannerman
Active Newbie
Full Name: Padraig O Ruairc

Postby knightofredemption on Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:38 pm

I think your spot on Padraig, I have already suggested via PM that the young man does his own googling, I did out of curiosity and came up with a host of links straight off the bat. So this one is not so much help as empowering laziness.
Everything in moderation, including Moderation.
knightofredemption
Site Admin
Full Name: Paul Wickham

Postby Irish-American on Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:29 am

Number? I think its just me, to be honest. If you feel some sort of repizleal is in order ro picking your brains I would prefer being shot out of a long nine rather then the classic burning at the stake. And one did come here for resources originally but have since found the ACW group and thus I camp around. And if you could suggest a Irish history chatroom that might better fit my inquires let me know. The last thing I want is a cyber mob.
And I posted this (maybe to hastily) to get a range of views. And your right, I shouldn't be doing James' work. I give him two books before I came here so I'm not even what point was. Again I'm sorry for causing these feelings of dread on this site. (Oscar the grouch can rest soundly in his garbage can. Kiding, kiding)
In general, ask a ceaseless amount of questions to any authority on Irish history, I ever annoy, please set mummers aside and tell me. The last thing I want to become is the foreign kid (as a am adult) who has no value to this comunty and guy who never shuts his mouth and takes the gift of gab to all time record.
No hard feeling I hope? *wide-eyed look* Evening and Erin Go brough!
Irish-American
Active Newbie

Postby Irish-American on Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:41 am

One thing noticed is I post and then the topic has lull, I hope this not cuz people run for the hills so to speak.
Irish-American
Active Newbie

Postby knightofredemption on Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:56 am

Its long past our bedtime here :D
Everything in moderation, including Moderation.
knightofredemption
Site Admin
Full Name: Paul Wickham

Postby museumtom on Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:30 am

Send him to this site. Not only is it full of ww2 data but when he registers he can ask questions. Enjoy;
http://www.ww2talk.com/
Regards.
Tom.
museumtom
Active Newbie
Full Name: Tom Burnell

Postby bannerman on Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:49 am

No hard feelings at all Irish American. This Black and Tan dosent feal the need for any reprisal - your friend shouldent have put you in this posoition. If he was going to be lazy enough to look for other people to do his work for him he could at least had the bare faced cheek and desency to do his own dirty work.

Number? I think its just me, to be honest.

No. We had the German students who were doing a project on the North on here a few weeks ago, because they were doing a school project on Irish history. I didnt realy want to touch that one with a ten foot pike!

As I said above I think the board needs posts "based around educating re-enactors, improving kit accuracy, planning upcoming events, suggesting new ideas for living history etc" I think anyone starting a new thread should make sure the topic is somewhat relevant, do their own research, illustrate it with images if possible and make sure its clear and easy to follow. Im not trying to take up a job as an "Auxialiary" Moderator but I do feal there alot of "shlock" (as they say in Hebrew) gets posted here. Id rather see two lenghty, relevant, well written and interesting posts put up here by a re-enactor than twenty semi relevant, poorly thought out posts that dont excite any other debates of contributions.

Padraig
http://www.warofindependence.net/

"Is doigh linn gur mor iad na daoine mora mar atamuid fein ar ar nglunaibh. - Eirimis!!!"
Jim Larkin 1913
bannerman
Active Newbie
Full Name: Padraig O Ruairc

Postby Irish-American on Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:43 pm

Ah. I understand,and don't want to be a inconvenience to anyone. (If someone could delete this topic, lets have fresh start.
Irish-American
Active Newbie

Postby Dave Mooney on Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:49 pm

Locked. Will delete after a few days.

Dave - Mod mode.
Dave Mooney.
Mogh Roith- Historical Living History Group. http://moghroith.org
Dave Mooney
Active Newbie
Full Name: Dave Mooney