Pupils think Auschwitz is a beer

From the Crimean War to the Wars in the Gulf. The death of global empires and the rise of a global economy.

Moderator: the_power

Pupils think Auschwitz is a beer

Postby Dave Mooney on Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:41 am

From Yahoo News:

Pupils think Auschwitz is a beer- Some schoolchildren believe Auschwitz is the name of a type of beer or a religious festival, rather than the notorious concentration camp.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21/20090309/tu ... 23e80.html

I mean WTF?!
Dave Mooney.
Mogh Roith- Historical Living History Group. http://moghroith.org
Dave Mooney
Active Newbie
Full Name: Dave Mooney

Re: Pupils think Auschwitz is a beer

Postby Ambiorix apsealgair on Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:26 pm

its a shame alright but i've noticed alot of children aged 11-16 lately have no real interest anymore in history. :( I found those that do, do know there history farely well! Alot of my friends look at me stupid when i start talking about famous battles or historical moments.
Ambiorix apsealgair
Active Newbie
Full Name: Alex Lee

Postby Irish-American on Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:03 pm

That is horrible and dishonorable to those who had the bad luck to die there, but it is oh so true of life today, and can perhaps be blamed on how history is taught. (not a jab at the poster of this by any means) But I think kids don't see history (and some teachers) don't see history in context anymore. They think its all a bunch of bloody (in America its not a swear sorry) numbers and names. But in reality i think, its all about what happened to people in their time, Today, its all iPods and finding out if Johny likes you not, but if put those same kids in 1939 I bet they'd just as worried if they had a Jewish friend who got torn away from his home on a chilly night.

Edited by Paul
Irish-American
Active Newbie
Full Name: I'd rather not say

Postby pajo on Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:06 pm

I gota agree that a lot of blame has to lie with the ciriculum, I know my knowledge of history is pretty dire simply because of how it was taught to me in school... Its made very uninteresting, just having names and dates drilled into ur head... if it was made more interesting (as we reenactors try to make it) then I do believe that kids would learn SO much more! more practical work and "cahts" as it were, rather than just reading paragraph after paragraph in a book that weighs more than ur frickin house.....
A hard on does NOT count as personal growth...

Effudistine potum melis meum...? Amice, nunc te interficiam.
pajo
Active Newbie

Postby knightofredemption on Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:09 pm

So for how long do we subject our children to these images and sad realities? Any idea that by doing this we reduce the chance of it happening again is demonstrably untrue. We see time and time again genocide, mass murder and racial conflict.

Africa, Europe, South America and the Middle East, all places where the nightmare of Auschwitz has been repeated in modern times. Do we also teach this in the curriculum? Where do we stop? when do we draw the line and let these terrible things become the thing they are, history.

I have to say, I don't know, and at a time when our own history is once again raising its ugly head its a fair question. Knowledge is not the same as understanding. What we need to teach is understanding and tolerance. Then it matters not if kids think Auschwitz is a Lager, only that they would not tolerate, or condone the same thing happening anywhere, ever again.
Everything in moderation, including Moderation.
knightofredemption
Site Admin
Full Name: Paul Wickham

Postby Dave Mooney on Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:18 pm

I would have thought that that bit of info would have been 'common knowledge' not necessarily 'taught history'. There is possibly 80% more documentaries on TV on this period then there was when I was in that age bracket, and I'd not have watched them then, but I'd still know something of Auschwitz.

...Full bodied and creamy headed as it is.

Post Paul's script: Fair comments on teaching tolerance.
Dave Mooney.
Mogh Roith- Historical Living History Group. http://moghroith.org
Dave Mooney
Active Newbie
Full Name: Dave Mooney

Postby Irish-American on Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:51 pm

And also my granda was a MP in Japan in the early 50s and he said to a coworker "I served in Japan druing the Koran War and guy asked: "Uh..was that before World War I?" :D
Irish-American
Active Newbie

Postby brendan on Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:28 am

History (and most other subjects in the Irish secondary school system) are taught with one (and only one) intention: get points.
That is all that most parents, teachers and students care about. There is no immediate benefit to knowing anything beyond a list of facts and figures which equate to marks in an exam, and those facts and figures are easily forgotten.

Besides, teachers have more than enough trouble trying to get students to write in anything other than textspeak without expecting them to actually understand anything.

The lack of knowledge about Auschwitz is a symptom of 2 problems: Ignorance of history; General ignorance of anything beyond the immediate.

Brendan
brendan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Brendan Griffin

Postby the_power on Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:41 pm

Dad used to work in a machine shop in the UK years ago. He worked with all sorts, including a German POW (used to be an AA gunner around the Ruhr, later in Normandy) who never went home after the war, and two ex-RAF bomber crewmen. When the film "Dambusters" was released, their boss invited them out to see it. The German guy shook his head and say "Nah, no interest really. We saw the play".

That was in the 1970s, and already their boss had no idea what they meant...

john
the_power
Active Newbie
Full Name: John Looney

Postby Irish-American on Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:41 pm

I don't understand how people can not care about things like this, it shows how humankind can be loured into a blind hate and what happens if you do. Every person should be taught the consequences of pure hatred. That is the true lesion of Auschwhitz. And if people today don't know about or don't see its relevance we're on the fast track to something far worse. That's what scared me the most about this article.
Irish-American
Active Newbie

Next

Return to 20th Century