Help with picture accuracy

Viking, Saxon, and Early Christian Irish cultures

Moderator: the_power

Help with picture accuracy

Postby Sean-Hogan on Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:41 pm

Some friends of mine were inquiring about how the Gaels would have dressed in the early medieval period. I could certain sit and describe it for them, but I find that some sort of depiction along side descriptions help people get a better image of something. The problem is there aren't many depictions of the early christian Irish, plenty of the Tudor period Irish tough, and I'm not that great a drawer. However, I have a little skill with photoshop, and I remembered having a drawing of a Saxon who I thought might look like an Irishman with some alterations.

Anyways, the hood seems anachronistic, because although I know there is mention of hoods, I recall it was more likely part of the brat, where as the image suggests it is a separate piece of attire; I may try and edit it out if I can. Otherwise, what do you fellows think?

Sean-Hogan
Full Name: Seán Patrick Hogan

Re: Help with picture accuracy

Postby the_power on Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:42 pm

I think it's maybe more likely that hoods were separate;

http://livinghistory.ie/~valen/reenactm ... s/1399.jpg

That said, I've added a hood to my high-status leine. You can also wear a brat so it provides a hood. Though, in the picture you showed, the guy looks cold; waay too much stuff wrapped around his head, not enough around his body. Or maybe that's just me.

John
the_power
Active Newbie
Full Name: John Looney

Postby brendan on Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:43 pm

that hood is sort of OK for early medieaval - square shapes with Gores. Produces something fairly fitted.
However, the only hoods evidenced in finds from the period are in northern lapland...though there are earlier (Roman I think) and later medieval examples

Brendan
brendan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Brendan Griffin

Postby Sean-Hogan on Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:06 pm

the_power wrote:Though, in the picture you showed, the guy looks cold; waay too much stuff wrapped around his head, not enough around his body. Or maybe that's just me.

After I finished editing it I thought so too, but I am unsure of how the Irish dressed in winter, other than perhaps a saggy cloak.
Sean-Hogan
Full Name: Seán Patrick Hogan

Postby finnobreanan on Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:10 pm

A pair of Trews, either solid color or plaid, on his legs would also be a possibility.
Finn O'Breanan
Wood Kerne

"...The O'Brennans, a sept of thieves without any right or title, ... were a perpetual disturbance to the peace of the county,"
finnobreanan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Scott Cross

Return to Early-Medieval