Spinning

Share your work & ask for assistence for arts & crafts that don't fit into a specific time period

Moderator: the_power

Spinning

Postby Stitchlily on Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:12 pm

I'm doing some research into Viking spinning, and I thought I'd share some of the websites/blogs I have come across on my travels..I am looking into making my own spindle, but from what I have read, I need to make several, depending on what I want the yarn for...typical..

http://www.stringpage.com - great info on various textile techniques, spinning, weaving, sprang, naalbinding, etc..
http://www.ydalir.co.uk/crafts/spin.htm - nice simple explination of the theory of whorls
http://www.cs.vassar.edu/~capriest/textileres.html - textile resources for the re-enactor - heaven!

I've just ordered Tools for Textile Production from Birka and Hedeby by Eva Andersson. Does anyone else have it?
Ordered it from http://www.oxbowbooks.com, a dangerous bookshop to visit..hide your credit card..
Stitchlily
Full Name: Stitchlily

Re: Spinning

Postby azure on Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:01 am

I am fascinated with sprang....just can't get the picture of it in to my head at all. Have you tried it??
Eimear
Qui male cogitat, male sibi
azure

Postby Stitchlily on Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:32 pm

Here is a good tutorial http://mktag.org/projects/cassandraSprangTutorial/content.html. I'm adding sprang to my very long list of things to do

There is a modern equialent, whitework or drawn thread, you already have your piece of fabric and you draw threads out, then twist and re-tie them. Can look very similar to sprang.
Stitchlily

Postby vlasta on Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:13 pm

Stitchlily wrote:I've just ordered Tools for Textile Production from Birka and Hedeby by Eva Andersson. Does anyone else have it?

I've got it, it' really nice book, but there's more statistics than hints and tips about spinning, or even pictures of tools. Very good and useful book anyway.

Do you use a distaff ? I wonder, how it affects the whole process of spinning. What kind of whorls do you use, and what are they made of? I've some made from femur-heads, two other of clay, and recently got a stone one. I tried an amber bead as well, but it was way too light.

Greetings
Vlasta
vlasta
Full Name: Dorota Rawicz-Lipinska

Postby Stitchlily on Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:57 pm

I'm fairly new to spinning. My bought spindle went missing, and I've decided to replace it with a hand-made one. I'm just looking into the different weights to see what works best. I'm going to try clay first. I dont mind the book not having actual spinning tips, so far YouTube has answered all my spinning questions! I've never used a distaff, and I've only ever seen videos of people using a spinning wheel. Would be interesting to see it being used with a spindle.

If you are looking for carded wool, I've just discovered http://www.kerrywoollenmills.ie/products.php?cat=4 sell it by the lb, and they post. They have lots of dyed fleece, but also have un-dyed white, dark brown and 2 greys. The dark brown is lovely.
Stitchlily

Postby Stitchlily on Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:22 pm

I now have several un-tested clay whorls! I made a batch as I couldn't decide what weight or shape I wanted, flat or conical. So, I just have to get some doweling to finish them off. Great thing is one rod fits all! I will be able to try out different types of yarn.

Stitchlily

Postby Andrea L Redden on Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:00 am

azure wrote:I am fascinated with sprang....just can't get the picture of it in to my head at all. Have you tried it??

Do you have access to a a copy of Margarethe Hald's Ancient Danish Textiles from Bogs and Burials? The instructions look quite comprehensive. If you don't then PM me your snail mail address and I'll photocopy and post you the chapter.

Peter Collingwood did a book on it as well from memory.

Andrea
Full Name: Andrea L Willett

Postby Andrea L Redden on Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:33 am

vlasta wrote:What kind of whorls do you use, and what are they made of? I've some made from femur-heads, two other of clay, and recently got a stone one.

I made some out of soapstone from the local art shop that work quite well. The students use it for sculpture. I've been planning to buy some "dog bones" at the butcher and ask him to cut the ball ends (for whorls) and the central shafts (for pins & needles, etc.) off with his bandsaw. How did you clean the cartilage off?

Andrea
Full Name: Andrea L Willett

Postby Billy on Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:44 am

How did you clean the cartilage off?

Boil gently with some washing soda, or if you have the time, leave them in the sun, wind and rain.
Billy MagFhloinn
Billy
Active Newbie

Postby vlasta on Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:42 pm

Andrea L Willett wrote:How did you clean the cartilage off?

To be honest, I didn't. I just got the whorls from a friend of mine from Poland, and I've no idea, what method did he use. Ants perhaps? I'll contact him and ask.
vlasta
Full Name: Dorota Rawicz-Lipinska

Next

Return to Arts & Crafts