Burial Traditions in Ireland

Viking, Saxon, and Early Christian Irish cultures

Moderator: the_power

Burial Traditions in Ireland

Postby Bandraoi on Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:09 pm

(Not sure if this is in the right forum, please move if not appropriate!)

I attended a Discovery Programme conference last monday, and there was a really interesting talk by Elizabeth O'Brien (no relation!) who is the primary researcher on the Mapping Death project... looking at burial traditions from 1st to 8th Century.

From the site intro...
This is an inter-disciplinary project which involves a study of burials in Ireland from the 1st to the 8th centuries AD based on the archaeological evidence in combination with primary documentary sources available from Ireland, Britain and the Continent. The aim is to interpret burial practices as indicators of social practices, social hierarchies, cultural intrusions, boundary markers, taking possession of territories, the establishment of dynasties, religious conversion and external relationships.

Thought it'd be worth keeping an eye on as it develops.
Mapping Death Website

edited to fix faulty link!
~ Is minic a bhris beal duine a shron ~
It's often that a person's mouth breaks their nose...
New web site for Rathcroghan, seat of Kingship in the west of Ireland for nearly 2000 years! http://www.rathcroghan.ie
Bandraoi
Active Newbie
Full Name: Wethren DeStoirm

Re: Burial Traditions in Ireland

Postby the_power on Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:42 pm

Is there any truth to the rumour that in the south-east, most burials from the 4th to 6thC were roman style ?

John
the_power
Active Newbie
Full Name: John Looney

Postby Bandraoi on Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:49 pm

I don't know :shock: didn't hear that one. The preliminary findings are interesting, but it's very early days yet. I'll be chatting to Michael Potterton a bit in the next few months, if he comes back to dig Tulsk in May, I can ask him if we don't come across the answer before then.

One thing that did stand out for me, was that the majority of early burials in ancestral mounds were all female, up to the 6th cent or so when the balance tipped to mixed gender. Dr. O'Brien put forward the theory that ancestry was traced through the matriarchal line pre Christianity, it will seem like pure common sense to some (esp considering the Brehon Law set up with multi marriages etc - you always know who your mammy is :D ) but it's interesting to see further academic support for theories, if it works out that way as the study progresses.
New web site for Rathcroghan, seat of Kingship in the west of Ireland for nearly 2000 years! http://www.rathcroghan.ie
Bandraoi
Active Newbie

Postby claimhteoir on Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:52 am

I was at a seminar a few weeks ago and the issue of infant burials at Cashel was raised. They date from about 600AD give or take a century from what I remember. It was an odd one.
claimhteoir
Active Newbie
Full Name: None Set

Postby Bandraoi on Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:36 pm

Do you remember who was presenting at that seminar?
Bandraoi
Active Newbie

Postby claimhteoir on Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:54 pm

I think it was Dr. Edel Breathnach!
claimhteoir
Active Newbie
Full Name: None Set

Return to Early-Medieval