Looking for help on report on Easter Rising 1916

Moderator: the_power

Looking for help on report on Easter Rising 1916

Postby Irish-American on Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:46 pm

Ladies and Gentlemen:

I am an American High School student with a bit of a problem. (As an American Civil War reenactor I learned way long ago the best way to learn details about history is t go those who have a passion to keep its memory of history alive. Which led me to your chat group.

Here is what I need:

I have to do a report on the Easter Rising of 1916. my thesis is that it was a patriotic event that helped spur the events that led to the formation of the Free State and later the Republic but 1948-9ish.
But need to present both sides strengthen my argument. I know many felt that it shattered the hope of the Home Rule act and many of those in Dublin thought it was a slap in the face because they had family in the English service. But what cannot find is any hard quotes or articles that present the negativity of the Rising. Can you suggest anything? (articles and websites would be of most help as I doubt I'd have enough time to read, cite and share the information) If you don't know, do you someone who could help me?
Thank you for your kindness!
Irish-American
Active Newbie
Full Name: I'd rather not say

Re: Looking for help on report on Easter Rising 1916

Postby bannerman on Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:36 pm

Hello Irish-American,
Believe it or not there were and are people queing up to dismiss the Easter Rising and the republicans of the 1916 to 1921 period. Despite the fact that most people in Ireland now look back favourably on the rising and see those who took part as patriots others including established historians and journalists seek to deride the event and look for evidence that the republicans comitted warcrimes and ethnic cleansing. You should check out the contraversies surrounding the Kilmichael Ambush and the execution of the Pearsons at Coolacrease. I would recommend the following books.

Coolacrease. The true story of the Pearson executions an episode in the war of Independence.by Paddy Heany? / Hennesy?
Tom Barry. I.R.A. Freedom Fighter by Meda Ryan
Myths of 1916 (Not sure of the exact title} by Eoin Neeson
The Origins of British Propoganda in Ireland by Fr. Brian Murphy
Spies Informers and the Anti-Sinn Fein society in Cork by John Borgovono
1916- The Myth of Blood Sacrifice by C. Desmond Greeves

All of them deal to some extent in countering the arguments made by those who condemn the rising.

To deal with the history itself - The rising was not a popular event only 3000 - 4000 Irish people maximum took part in Dublin, Galway and Wexford. At the same time well over 200,000 Irishmen had enlisted in the British Army and were fighting in the "Great War. There were less than 15,000 members of the anti war, largely republican Irish Volunteers compared to about 100,000 Irish National Volunteers who supported the British in WW1. But then again I believe only a tiny percentage of the American colonists took part in the american revolution!!!

At the time the Rising was condemned by the Catholic Church, The Home Rule Party ( A.K.A The Irish Parlimentry Party) and the media. The Home rule M.P.'s actualy cheered when the executions of some of the rebel leaders were announced in the house of commons. The front pages of the Irish Independent and Irish catholic newspapers called for james Connollys execution. During the Rising itself Members of the pro war Irish National Volunteers actually helped the British Army and R.I.C. to put down the rebellion.

Ive done alot of research and in my opinion three main events changed public opinion in Ireland.

1 The executions following the rising were seen as too vindictive , particularily the execution of the wounded James Connolly

2 The very public death of Thomas Ashe on hungerstrike in 1917

3 The repeated, obstinate and ultimately unsuccessful attempts to impose subscription from 1917 to 1918.
The last is possibly the most significant. while the other two events appealed to peoples sense of patriotisim the last meant that every young man wether interested in politics or not was facing the very real prospect of conscription and death in a foreign war that was becoming increasingly unpopular. This is also the time that sinn Fein starts to win by-elections and general elections. Suddenly the Catholic Church which had always condemned Irish Republicans and supported British rule in Ireland began to hedge their bets and give tacit support to Sinn Fein. Even the remnants of the Irish National Volunteers broke away from the home rule party and re-merged with the Irish Volunteers in 1917.

The idea that the Rising and subsequent events prevented full Home Rule being granted to Ireland as soon as the war ended is laughable. The Scots were also promised home rule at the outbreak of the war too! Remember as well that the UVF had been in existence to oppose the democratic wish of the majority of Irish people and the decision of the british Government to implement Home Rule for Ireland.

I have direct quotes from the period on my computer at home. Ill see what I can post here later.
Padraig
http://www.warofindependence.net/

"Is doigh linn gur mor iad na daoine mora mar atamuid fein ar ar nglunaibh. - Eirimis!!!"
Jim Larkin 1913
bannerman
Active Newbie
Full Name: Padraig O Ruairc

Postby Irish-American on Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:12 pm

Thank you for time, if can post any articles that support that would be wonderful. I'll look at the books for my own pleasure, but as need three hard sources showing that Rising was + and - I don't have time to find them, read them and cite them. And its hard find ANYTHING relating to Ireland in my town. If I ask about Ireland I tend to get my favorite resopnse, "That's next to England, right?" :) I just say "Yes." and jump on Google.
Irish-American
Active Newbie

Postby bannerman on Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:03 pm

Hello again Irish-American,

I had put up a long series of quotes in a post here but there was some glytch in the system when I took them from my laptop to the website. The text was mutated when it came up and very difficult to make any sense of. If your happy to pass me on your e-mail ill try send them on to you. I realise that because your a high school student you mightnt want to do that.

If you dont, try the book "Blood On The Banner - The Republican Struggle in Clare' Published by Mercier Press in Cork. All the quotes were in that.

Padraig
Last edited by bannerman on Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:29 pm, edited 4 times in total.
http://www.warofindependence.net/

"Is doigh linn gur mor iad na daoine mora mar atamuid fein ar ar nglunaibh. - Eirimis!!!"
Jim Larkin 1913
bannerman
Active Newbie
Full Name: Padraig O Ruairc

Postby mock on Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:05 pm

hello there, and welcome.
i dont know if you have time or not, but you could try a book by maurice walsh
called the news from ireland, it covers the period 1919-1921 and the role american and british
journalists played , it would also be relevant to 1916.
regards mock.
lord edwards own
86th leinster regiment
prince of wales leinster regiment
mock
Full Name: mock vaughan

Postby Irish-American on Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:45 pm

You could PM them to me maybe..
I'll cheek it out. Have you ever read the novel "1916" by Morgan oh what's her name now. Can't think of it..
Irish-American
Active Newbie

Postby the_power on Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:08 pm

Oh, and a great resource is Google News.. for instance, to see any mention of "easter rising" around 1916, look at;

http://news.google.ie/archivesearch?as_ ... tnG=Search

As for ignorance about Irish related stuff, a friend was in Georgia years ago, and when she told where she was friend, they said "Ireland ? The make-believe place with leprachauns ? Seriously, where are you from ?"...

John
the_power
Active Newbie
Full Name: John Looney

Postby Irish-American on Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:12 pm

WOW! Lot to dig though. Thanks!
Irish-American
Active Newbie

Postby Billy on Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:50 am

Surely Georgia the Country, and not Georgia the US State.[not that its any less ignorant]

Pretty funny all the same!
Billy MagFhloinn
Billy
Active Newbie

Postby Irish-American on Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:02 am

Yeah I mean the Irish Jasper greens are probily the most famous Company to come out the war with Mexico and were based in Georgia. Yeah, ignorance is bliss as they say. If any of you know more online resources plz post them.
Irish-American
Active Newbie

Next

Return to General Chat