Gigs and the recession et al

Moderator: the_power

Gigs and the recession et al

Postby Dave Mooney on Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:34 pm

Hi, I see the thread on supporting the Cavan show regardless of funding or subsistence monies. I think lads declaring they will come to any gig anyway is a great move. I will admit to being sceptical of any 'agreement' to support each others shows really working very well as I think you can't push people into those type of binds, but I am glad to see that many people are still in this for the hobby, money be damned.

Just as an fyi: Spear and sword re-enactment was mainly the pass time of the unemployed back in the day and it still managed to collect equipment and pull off reasonable events (even if authenticity wasn't high on the list) .

I don't know if vehicle units have difficulty moving about or if it is expensive etc. (you can feel free to educate us all) but in the current cash free climate people that only move for money may need to rethink their approach.

Dave.

(Edit: Subsistence not substance! Do'h)
Dave Mooney.
Mogh Roith- Historical Living History Group. http://moghroith.org
Dave Mooney
Active Newbie
Full Name: Dave Mooney

Re: Gigs and the recession et al

Postby museumtom on Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:30 pm

Military vehicles in general (not including tanks or the heavy armoured cars). The mileage is usually around 9 miles to the gallon so a trip from Tipp to Cavan and back would cost me about 130 euro. To date I have never received a single cent towards petrol from anyone and I have never met anyone who has. But what do I get for my money besides keeping to my word of supporting as many as possible?. I get a weekend away with the most non threatening bunch of optimists there is. One fact you may not have considered is that the drive itself is an absolute hoot as we travel in uniform (no weapons of course). I get to be a 55 year old bit of eye candy for a while before returning to my alter ego of an unemployed layabout. Then there is the crack, if the methane that comes off the bull£$%^& talked at these gigs was collected we could use it to power the country for a bit. There are no strangers at these gigs just friends that you have not met yet.
Roll on the summer.
Regards.
Tom.
museumtom
Active Newbie
Full Name: Tom Burnell

Postby Dave Mooney on Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:30 pm

Sounds a right laugh, you exhibitionists! :D
Dave Mooney.
Mogh Roith- Historical Living History Group. http://moghroith.org
Dave Mooney
Active Newbie
Full Name: Dave Mooney

Postby brendan on Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:32 pm

My own thought on this is as follows (And I have heard it echoed):
    For the most part my decision to attend a gig is not based on expenses etc
    If there are expenses then there is usually a higher obligation in terms of time spent actively dealing with public
    It is nice to get expenses
    I don't mind doing gigs for free so long as the organisers are not (perceived to be)making a pile of cash from my efforts
Actually, the last one doesn't usually bother me, but it is a point I have heard expressed by a number of people

Brendan
brendan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Brendan Griffin

Postby mock on Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:40 pm

every one on this forum knows
1- if you were in this for money your family would starve.

2.- if i got a cup of tea and a sandwich i would go any where.

3. we are all exhibitionists deep down.

roll on the summer
regards mock
lord edwards own
86th leinster regiment
prince of wales leinster regiment
mock
Full Name: mock vaughan

Postby the_power on Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:12 pm

brendan wrote:
    I don't mind doing gigs for free so long as the organisers are not (perceived to be)making a pile of cash from my efforts
Actually, the last one doesn't usually bother me, but it is a point I have heard expressed by a number of people

Same here. One of the most enjoyable gigs I ever went to was Berkeley Castle. They made a *ton* of cash. But I don't care, because I think they provided a wonderful environment for reenactors too.

It's a different story if the gig is crap for reenactors, and makes money for the organisers. Just don't go.

John
the_power
Active Newbie
Full Name: John Looney

Postby Neil on Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:39 am

mock wrote: if i got a cup of tea and a sandwich i would go any where.

Mmmm sandwiches.

Seriously though I'm in agreement. A bit of petrol money is always nice but I still go regardless. If I get provided food and hot beverages it's just an added bonus.
Neil
South Dublin Living History Society
Neil
Full Name: Neil Byrne

Postby pajo on Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:56 pm

You know guys, I gota say I'm impressed. its nice to see that people are managing to remember at least to some degree that what we do at shows is a hobby, not a job, that we do it for fun and not money... It does get a bit much sometimes when ppl are only concerned about how much they get for doin a show... like a few of ye said, if we get a bit of petrol money, awesome, if not, feck it. tea and sambos? bonus! the one thing I ALWAYZ hope for at shows I have to admit, is a bleedin' toilet! lol!

But seriosuly, when I think back to when I started, thumbin it, bussin it, and trainin it all over the frickin country, usually for no pay, I dont regret a bit of it. bugger it, its some of the best craic ya can have... who needs a few quid thrown really when ya think of all the craic we have with a few drinks around the fire at nite? worth more than any cash if ya ask me.
A hard on does NOT count as personal growth...

Effudistine potum melis meum...? Amice, nunc te interficiam.
pajo
Active Newbie

Postby gaius marius on Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:01 pm

I have to say that i have no regrets this hobbie is great and i dont give a sh@@@@t about getting money for doing gigs money (it nice dont get me wrong)
"The Kaiser knows the Munsters,
by the Shamrock on their caps,
And the famous Bengal Tiger, ever ready for a scrap,
And all his big battalions, Prussian Guards and grenadiers,
Fear to face the flashing bayonets of the Munster Fusiliers."

Go bua
gaius marius
Active Newbie

Postby brendan on Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:10 am

As a caveat...there are people out there who *do* make a living out of what is - for the rest of us - a hobby.

Brendan
brendan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Brendan Griffin

Next

Return to General Chat