Samurai Sword ban

Moderator: the_power

Samurai Sword ban

Postby Dave Mooney on Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:14 pm

So, the news is full of knife regulation, greater search powers for the Gards and a ban on Samurai swords.

Anyone heard from any martial artist mates studying Japanese Swordsmanship and how is the ban effecting them? Or does it?

I know we had a big thread about whether this will effect us or not but do we have a draft of the legislation on-line?
Dave Mooney.
Mogh Roith- Historical Living History Group. http://moghroith.org
Dave Mooney
Active Newbie
Full Name: Dave Mooney

Re: Samurai Sword ban

Postby tommyargue on Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:16 am

If O.A.P's can get this government to reverse a stupid decision that was made without any knowledge or understanding of the problem then surely we can aswell. Anyone in clubs or associations who stands to have their freedom to enjoy their hobby curtailed such as ourselves or airsofters or shooting enthusiasts who now have to suffer because of a purely cosmetic attempt to make it appear that the government are tackling crime. It's time for all of us to stand together and tell them NO!!!!!!!!!
I want my scalps
tommyargue
Active Newbie
Full Name: jude stynes

Postby Dave Mooney on Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:16 am

Well, you are right in that it is cosmetic and will fix nothing, except maybe scare naive young kids out of bringing them to school to sort the school bully. (True story)
The lads bringing knives out on the town will continue to do so and even if you ban knives sure they'll just make shives in their shed with a grinder.

The sword ban is more ridiculous as it's not the sword does the damage, its the idiot behind it and his murderous intent. He could go to the kitchen drawer as quick. Are we to ban kitchens at that point? This ban only harms martial arts lads and may do us damage. And anyway, just how many 'sword' attacks happened to bring this about? Two I can think of. Sure there's more kitchen devils gone into two timing boyfriends then there's been sword attacks!

I often carry a Swiss Army knife. It's a tool and gotten me out of many a problem, including dismantling a dodgy toilet cubical lock once. I use it all the time but mainly when in work as I'm a stage manager. These days it's on a belt in a pouch (with a lighter to act as a filler, and for fire lighting when camping), with a leatherman, maglite and a digital camera. I'm forever in the dark cutting snipping or making running repairs to something during shows. Am I supposed to hinder myself now just because some shams shived some other shams?
The ban on knives only limits access from those lads who are delusional enough to think that having a sawanky knife will make them look tougher. The real scummer is still going to opt for the carving knife from the kitchen ware section, Stanley carpet knife (adapted for 'smiley' cuts) or a screwdriver. The assassin will just use a Coke can or his toenail clippings...or he would if his Swiss army knife nail scissors wasn't banned.

Dave.
Dave Mooney.
Dave Mooney
Active Newbie

Postby lordedward on Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:37 pm

I have my defense ready:

"Mi lord this is not a samurai sword it is a 1789 pattern infantry officers sword, further more it is the symbol of my rank as a gentleman and my right to command in the kings name and if you seek to remove it from me you will be going against two centuries of Irish statute law and infringing the rights of a king's officer. I may be mad.... but this sword is not covered by the legislation".

There is plenty of law on the books to prosecute any crime, most new law on this subject is bad law and comes from the "quick look busy" school of elected officials.

The next minister you meet hand him/her a sword and get a nice colour photo of him/her brandishing it, blow it up as a placard and then we can all march to Leinster house.

Rant ends
There is a fine line between hobby and mental illness -Dave Barry
lordedward
Full Name: Barry Walsh

Postby bannerman on Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:36 am

Ah lads in all fairness :roll: - most of the things being sold as samuri swords are not in fact samuri swords but immatition samuri swords made of really crap steal - to my knowledge real samuri swords were hammer beaten and tempered blades folded hundreds of times, and a piece of silk, or of rice paper dropped on them would be immediately severed by their incredibly sharp blade. If a samuri sword is wielded by someone who is not a fully trained samuri from 400 years ago is it still a samuri sword? (because we all know that Tom Cruise is and was the last samuri!!!)Or just a cheap piece of martial arts and souvenier tat? Someone up on asian history please fill me in here

One would imagine that there is already considerable legislation dealing with offensive weapons and violence under the offences against the state and offences against the person acts - but in a knee jerk re-action politicians wanting to be seen as doing something by the electorate after a record two attacks involving imitation samuri swords have hurried through further unnesecary legislation. The same week as one of the above mentioned attacks werent two Polish immigrants brutaly murdered with screwdrivers. Should screwdrivers be banned?

As fair as I know "samuri swords" were mentioned specificaly in this piece of legislation, I wouldent really get get worried until the legislation specifacaly mentions "broadswords", "claymores", Roman "gladoius" (am i spelling that right?) 1798 pikes and so on as specificaly as they have mentioned "samuri swords" in this bill act or whatever it is. Any way even if a member of an Garda Siochana did try to proseceute you for a re-enactment prop - dont all our swords have dull edges? In my opinion anyone who goes re-enacting with a fully live edged weapon for anything other than strictly display purposes is dangerous and should be spoken to severly. Would you let me do WW1 of War of Independence re-enactments at a show you arganised with live 303 rounds??? I think not.

As for you Barry we all know that you are far from an officer and a gentleman - and as we all know such an un-cooth rebel scoundrel would sooner be admitted to a house of burlesque and sin in Monasterevin than the house of lords (A.K.A. the longest running farce in the west end!!!) Lord Edward indeed -another rebel raggamuffin!

Tommy Argue - well what can I say say I am shocked and appauled to the highest degree - how dare you argue that people have the right to protest about anything. You are probably one of those lilly livered liberals who thinks that just because people do an honest days work that they are somehow entitled to be payed for it! We have had enough of your bolshevick calls to arms here - GET THEE TO A NUNNERY!!! If you are going to spout suck daego clap trap then I suggest you take up July 14th 1789 regicide re-enactment than whatever period you do now. Your head should be set on a spike outside Dublin cCastle as a warning to the other plebs.

Yours most superiorily
Lord Haw Haw
(A.K.A. William Joyce )

No seriously lads the last two paragraphs are just taking the piss - im trying to be light hearted about all this nonsense - samurio sword ban indeed!!! (I Couldent find a smilie to express sarcastic outrage could the moderators please add one?)
http://www.warofindependence.net/

"Is doigh linn gur mor iad na daoine mora mar atamuid fein ar ar nglunaibh. - Eirimis!!!"
Jim Larkin 1913
bannerman
Active Newbie
Full Name: Padraig O Ruairc

Postby brendan on Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:03 am

Pensioners get the right of veto for 2 reasons:
    -There are a lot of them
    They Vote. This is the most important one - pensioners going against their habitual voting patterns would destroy the current government. How many re-enactors vote?

The current opposition spokesman on Justice is of the opinion that there is no good reason for any person to have a sword. I have had email communication with him on the topic but he did not pay much attention to my points and came out with more vitriol at a subsequent date. It is an easy and populist option.

If you want to impact on possible legislation you need to contact your local TD/Aspirant and make it clear that this is THE issue that will decide your vote in the next elections.

The Gardai have no great interest in the additional powers (re swords) but will not say no if offered them.

The government is currently in the consultative stages on a new white paper on crime: [url]http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Pages/Minister%20Dermot%20Ahern%20Begins%20Development%20of%20State’s%20First%20White%20Paper%20On%20Crime[/url]
I am pretty sure that all the nay-sayers re: Swords will make contributions. If you want to be heard then make a submission. It is important to note that each submission MUST be individually drafted - a form letter approach (even if submitted by several thousand people) will only be treated as single submisssion.
Get writing/talking if you want input into the laws of the land.

Brendan
brendan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Brendan Griffin

Postby tommyargue on Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:19 am

A samurai sword is only a samurai sword if it's made from "tamahagani" steel. It's only smelted twice or maybe three times a year in south west japan. If it's not made from tamahagani then it's not a samurai sword. Try telling that to the judge. ha ha ha !

If they seriously want to tackle crime, heres a noval idea. How about handing out a sentence that isn't a friggen joke.
I want my scalps
tommyargue
Active Newbie
Full Name: jude stynes

Postby brendan on Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:53 pm

tommyargue, do you have anything to contribute to the discussion other than sound bytes criticizing current/future legislation?

Brendan
brendan
Active Newbie

Postby brendan on Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:23 pm

PS>
One would imagine that there is already considerable legislation dealing with offensive weapons and violence under the offences against the state and offences against the person acts

In keeping with this look at the story of the Mullingar riot:
A number of men were also charged under the Firearms and Offensive Weapons Act with possession of a variety of implements including a golf club, a sword and a shovel.

(from http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ire ... 29618.html)

Brendan
brendan
Active Newbie

Postby Dave Mooney on Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:36 pm

Well, that just goes to show that the Gards have all the powers they need to deal with people taking swords to each other.

If you brandish anything at someone or hit them with anything other than water you can be done for it.
Dave Mooney.
Dave Mooney
Active Newbie

Next

Return to General Chat