Advertising

Moderator: the_power

Advertising

Postby the_power on Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:53 am

Hey guys.

I'm thinking of advertising living history in the real world. Current plan is to make up a really glamourous poster, with small photos from different time periods. A short explanation of living history, then a short event list of events, with a 'to learn more about livinghistory, find a group near you, or see more details of upcoming events in your area, see http//www.livinghistory.ie".

However, like running the livinghistory.ie website, it'll cost cash, and at popular request, I removed the advertising from livinghistory.ie last year (which only paid for half the cost of running the website, in reality). Is anyone interesting in stumping up cash to subsidise it ? I can imagine it'll cost 3 euro or so per A3 poster, but I'll confirm that. Then people can say "our group would like 20 posters", and distribute them as you wish. More posters you put up in your area, the more people in your area you are likely to attract to livinghistory.ie, and eventually into our own group.

John
the_power
Active Newbie
Full Name: John Looney

Re: Advertising

Postby Dave Mooney on Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:24 am

I never found the advertising intrusive, sure it was off to one side. I hardly knew it was there...so much that you telling me it was gone was the first I knew of it.

How much does LH.ie cost to host? You should ask for donations. I couldn't sell the Slua Ghairm Newsletter at cost, hardly anyone would pay for it. Make it free and I got phone calls looking for it. After I lost access to the free printing, cheers TB ;), it had to be paid for. Several groups subsidised it so everyone could benefit.
I'll send you a few bob towards it annually.

On the main topic; Ah, now I see where you're going. If you left a blank box at the bottom with a "Your nearest group is :" in the corner, and we can stick our website address or e-mail into it, that would turn us into a proper local network/point of contact.
Tear-offs with the url on would really work also.

Dave.
Dave Mooney.
Mogh Roith- Historical Living History Group. http://moghroith.org
Dave Mooney
Active Newbie
Full Name: Dave Mooney

Postby the_power on Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:33 pm

I suppose it costs maybe 100 euro a year for the domain and the disks I purchased for the server, and about 300 a year on Google advertising. Actual paper posters would be a little more pricey, hence me looking for Subs of some sort.

Yup, a little blank box in the corner would be useful alright.

John
the_power
Active Newbie

Postby the_power on Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:38 pm

Actually, check this out...stats for the site to date

Current Budget: $1.00 / day
Clicks: 1,706
Impressions: 275,912
Click Through Rate: 0.62%
Average Cost Per Click: $0.45
Average Cost Per 1000 impressions: $2.77
Total spent to date: $764.97

So, that's been going on for ages. Still, impressive that we got 1700 people from all over the net to check us out for only $700!

John
the_power
Active Newbie

Postby mock on Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:53 pm

hello john
as dave said subscriptions would be a good idea.
I can honestly say the lads in Lord Edwards Own that use the site would gladly
chip in for posters.The site has been a great help for us at home and abroad.
regards mock
lord edwards own
86th leinster regiment
prince of wales leinster regiment
mock
Full Name: mock vaughan

Postby Dave Mooney on Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:33 am

I know the domain has to be paid for but aren't there free BBS? I set one up looks just like this one for free at editboard.com. Would that negate the need for server space? Plus with all the free services with google would that not keep it to just the domain name fee?
Dave Mooney.
Dave Mooney
Active Newbie

Postby the_power on Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:15 am

The BBS is free, bar the effort involved keeping it protected from nasty people or upgrading it & adding features to, it's on a machine I own with a bunch of friends, so I do the hosting :)

I just bought disks for the box, so lh.ie people can upload as many photos etc. as they want. Tiny cost, over the last five years, really. As I mentioned, online stuff is cheap. Paper posters get expensive. (note; I don't pay for the online advertising either, as such. It's a work perk. Unless people start moaning about advertising, I'm gonna reenable Google Adwords on the site, and use the money to pay for paper posters, and postage to every museum and library in the country over time.

John
the_power
Active Newbie

Postby Dave Mooney on Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:10 pm

Hi All,
I'm trying to help John with this poster idea. We're having a time finding quality photos for it. You've all got lovely snap shots and some of the best ones are ruined by people wearing sunglasses in the background, you know who you are! Can people offer up shots for it? Stuff that sums up what you do?

No guarantee we;ll use them all you understand. We're looking for shots to give an over all spread of what's out there. Up load to the gallery or link us to the pic if elsewhere.

I've nicked some of the better ones but I'll post a draft to make sure you're all right with your pics being used it.

Dave.
Dave Mooney.
Dave Mooney
Active Newbie

Postby the_power on Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:49 pm

Hey guys, we have a draft poster now. Ideally, I'd like to buy 250 of these, and get one in every library, museum, town hall etc. in the country. But, no point putting them up far from current groups yet.

So, who wants some? Possible price is between 2 and 3 euro per poster, I'll confirm it before spending anyones money.

(Thanks loads to my market research crew, and our typesetter, Dave Mooney).

John
the_power
Active Newbie

Postby ciaranc on Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:19 pm

hmm dunno about every school or library in the country but poster looks good the only question i would have is will there be a central way to contact people for example i recieved a call from someone last week asking how to get involved in Crimean War re-enactment and all I could do was advise them to check the Living History website for information on that time period. so if we are advertising then perhaps we should give out contact numbers to the various groups for the other groups (think that was all collected at the limerick meeting)

as for the costs of running LH.ie i would gladly pitch in a few quid twoards the running costs

ciaran
Oi quit chucking pointy sticky things at me
ciaranc
Active Newbie
Full Name: ciarán curran

Next

Return to General Chat