Dublin type 6 arrowheads

Viking, Saxon, and Early Christian Irish cultures

Moderator: the_power

Dublin type 6 arrowheads

Postby Andrea L Redden on Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:10 am

Hi Guys!

I want some arrows and have been looking through Weapons and Warfare in Viking and Medieval Dublin for what is most appropriate. We do Dublin 1009AD so from the typology there are 4 common arrowheads; type 1 - tanged, leaf-shaped/shouldered blades (19%), type 2 - socketed, leaf-shaped/shouldered blades (14%), type 6 - tanged bodkin blades (14-18%) and type 7 socketed bodkin blades (42%). While the socketed bodkins are far more common the book says "In contrast to the socketed form, however, the indications are that the Type 6 form was a distinctly Hiberno-Norse type. It is known only from the Hiberno-Norse towns of Dublin Waterford and Limerick. The vast majority (96%) of datable examples come from contexts of tenth- to twelfth-century date, and the type has never yet been found in an undoubted Anglo-Norman context." So I'm thinking that I'd really like type 6's. Problem is that, while I have a supplier who's willing to have them made in India with his other stock, he has an order minimum of 100 heads. James and I would only be interested in 1 to 2 dozen each. Would anybody here be interested in some? I don't have a firm price yet but based on his other arrowheads they'll likely be between AUD6-7.00+EUR3-3.50 per head. Sample drawing from the typology below.
ArDlT6.jpg
Dublin Type 6 tanged bodkin arrowhead
ArDlT6.jpg (17.97 KiB) Viewed 786 times

Andrea
Full Name: Andrea L Willett

Re: Dublin type 6 arrowheads

Postby Guthrum on Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:09 pm

I'd sign up for a dozen
Guthrum
Full Name: Andy Nicholson

Re: Dublin type 6 arrowheads

Postby Andrea L Redden on Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:46 pm

FYI postage Australia to Ireland for up to 500gr (up to 2 dozen heads) is AUD10.70=EUR5.25 for airmail and AUD23.15=EUR11.35 for registered airmail. I imagine Aaron would add a bit to that to cover the cost of the packaging.

Andrea
Full Name: Andrea L Willett

Return to Early-Medieval