Iron Age Cultivation Hoe - Azada

From palaeolithic to the late iron age, discuss leather underwear and rocks to your hearts' content

Moderator: the_power

Iron Age Cultivation Hoe - Azada

Postby Dave Mooney on Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:48 am

Can anyone point me to any find of an Iron Age Cultivation Hoe in Ireland?

I need tools (that isn't a plough as we have no horse to pull it ant he field is only really a garden anyway) for working the Iron Age field in the Cragg. I had to use a modern Mattock last year as the closest thing. Tricky working in costume with the wrong tools keep having to hid them when punters come by and stand about looking thoughtful.

This is the nearest I can find to my mental image but would be better to see the real thing. Obviously the paint will have to come off.

Heavy Duty Hoe - Azada - Badza
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... TQ:GB:1123
Dave Mooney.
Mogh Roith- Historical Living History Group. http://moghroith.org
Dave Mooney
Active Newbie
Full Name: Dave Mooney

Re: Iron Age Cultivation Hoe - Azada

Postby finnobreanan on Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:58 pm

Dave,

Try Avalon Forge. They make reproduction iron tools that date to the 1700s, but this may be the closest you can find.They ar $25.00 US:
http://www.avalonforge.com/MainTools.htm
Finn O'Breanan
Wood Kerne

"...The O'Brennans, a sept of thieves without any right or title, ... were a perpetual disturbance to the peace of the county,"
finnobreanan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Scott Cross

Postby Billy on Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:59 pm

Billy MagFhloinn
Billy
Active Newbie

Postby gobae on Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:18 pm

Wow, that sarculum is one ugly piece of blacksmithing. Although given the tools she said she was working with (acetylene torch, no forge) she did well.

Anyway, my MAIN comment was on the style difference from the reproduction sarculum and the other azadas. The idea of the handle hole being through the blade material instead of socketed seems to make more sense to me. It seems less likely for the handle to separate from the blade that way.

She says the reproduction was based off of a picture of a bas-relief, which is not shown. I wonder if there was enough detail to actually see a socketed connection, or if it was assumed from modern hoe styles?

We've got a lot of earth work to do with our oven and kiln projects, maybe I'll make up a couple of styles and see how they perform.
gobae
Full Name: Dan Crowther

Return to Pre-History