How's the Weather?

Moderator: the_power

How's the Weather?

Postby finnobreanan on Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:23 am

God I wish I was in Ireland! It was 20 degress below 0 (Farenheit) in Wisconsin today with a wind chill factor of -35! I started reading the Icelandic Sagas, just to make myself feel warm! Brrrr! :roll: My wife (of almost pure Germanic decent) has no problems and says it is evolution attacking my poor tall skinny Irish body! I want to go back to Ireland! :!:

OH! I forgot to mention that we have had 49 inches of snow (so far) and the snow plows have thrown up a five foot wall, ten feet deep in my front lawn! I dug a path through it last weekend and thought of "Flander's Fields". It's a good thing I used to do Great War Living History...it makes me feel like I'm back in the trenches! :lol:
Finn O'Breanan
Wood Kerne

"...The O'Brennans, a sept of thieves without any right or title, ... were a perpetual disturbance to the peace of the county,"
finnobreanan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Scott Cross

Re: How's the Weather?

Postby tri on Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:21 am

Now you're just making us jealous!!

We have to risk our lives (and cars...) driving over the mountains just so we can spend five minutes trying to gather enough snow for a decent snowball ;)
tri
Active Newbie

Postby finnobreanan on Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:23 am

tri wrote:Now you're just making us jealous!!

We have to risk our lives (and cars...) driving over the mountains just so we can spend five minutes trying to gather enough snow for a decent snowball ;)

Tri,

I know what you mean, my brother Patrick has worked in Limerick for ten years and lives in Tipperary, they had snow on the mountains last year and he took his boys up there and they slid on their "asses" down the mountain side! The local famer thought they were nuts! :lol:
Finn O'Breanan
Wood Kerne

"...The O'Brennans, a sept of thieves without any right or title, ... were a perpetual disturbance to the peace of the county,"
finnobreanan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Scott Cross

Postby Andrea L Redden on Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:29 am

You could try Australia if you don't like the cold. It's about 5.30 and I'm about to leave work. Temperature outside is about 32 Celsius. Same time last week it was 39.4.

I HATE summer! At least I'm not up north in Queensland. Temperature would be higher and the humidity would be at least 90%. (hate summer anyway 'grumble, grumble')

Andrea
Full Name: Andrea L Willett

Postby Bandraoi on Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:48 pm

My brother's in Perth, I'm so jealous!!! HATE the cold, would absolutely die where you are Finn :shock:

But hey, at least I didn't have to walk to work in the sleet today. Brrrrrr.
~ Is minic a bhris beal duine a shron ~
It's often that a person's mouth breaks their nose...
New web site for Rathcroghan, seat of Kingship in the west of Ireland for nearly 2000 years! http://www.rathcroghan.ie
Bandraoi
Active Newbie
Full Name: Wethren DeStoirm

Postby Dave Mooney on Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:40 pm

It's snowing here! Landing on rain so not hanging about though.
Dave Mooney.
Mogh Roith- Historical Living History Group. http://moghroith.org
Dave Mooney
Active Newbie
Full Name: Dave Mooney

Postby Andrea L Redden on Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:28 pm

No, you don’t understand. The heat isn’t�st �leasant, here it’s d�e�s. �ot of the trees in Australia are eucalypts, full of eucalyptus oil. Think forests full of trees soaked in petrol. It’s the�ose�equiv�nt you’d under�nd. T� don’t �t bu� they e�ode into �me. We’ve been in �ught for �ut 12 now s�he undergrowth is just fluffy dry tinder, forests of petrol trees and tinder.

Week before last the temperature was over 40 degreesC for 3 days. 30-60 people died. On Saturday afternoon it was 47 degreesC in the shade under my veranda. The bushfires started in earnest on Saturday. Wayne and Kris and their 2 girls from the NVG in Melbourne barely escaped from their house at Kinglake, minutes ahead of the firefront, with the clothes on their backs, their hard drives and the photo albums. The township of Kinglake and several others around it no longer exist. The photo on the front of The Age today was a group of burnt out cars on the road in Kinglake. The METAL had started to melt onto the road. The people inside had no chance.

My brother and his partner were persuaded by my father to spend Saturday at his house because he had really good air-conditioning. By the time they heard the Yarra Valley was in danger and tried to get back to save their home they couldn’t get through�e roadblock�he Country Fi�Authority had set up on the roads in. We are so very, very lucky they couldn’t get through. �eles Creek Ro�has the highest�ath toll of any street in the state, 16. The neighbours on either side of them burnt to death in their homes. The fire front was kilometres wide, fuelled by winds over 90kmh.

The confirmed death toll in Victoria currently stands at 96 but it will probably be at least a couple of weeks before they finish checking the hundreds of burnt out homes. A third of the state still seems to be burning so it’s nowhere near fi�hed. [url]http:�ww.dse.vic.gov.au�E/nrenfoe.nsf/LinkView/519C51D981DAE41FCA257257000A5163DC25C965BDA0CAF5CA2573B400013504[/url] The 3500 firefighters on the ground just aren’t enough. There are� least a dozen to�hips that simply no�nger exist. Even those of us who are nowhere near any of the fires are shellshocked by the scale of it.

Summer sucks.

Andrea, who hasn’t lost anybody to the�res, yet

Postby mock on Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:55 pm

hello andrea,
ive spent the week scraping ice and slush off scaffolding in sandyford in dublin,
after reading your post i dont think ill complain about the weather again.
my next few prayers will be for you and your family,
keep yourself safe
God bless
lord edwards own
86th leinster regiment
prince of wales leinster regiment
mock
Full Name: mock vaughan

Postby Andrea L Redden on Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:02 am

Thank-you. I THINK we’re safe here. We’r�n an inner suburb and there are no fires near Geelong. Having said that, a couple of years ago there were fires around Canberra and several suburbs of our national capital were wiped. Being in a city doesn’t n�ssarily make you safe. I’m mor�orried for friends. It’s horri� to say but you can’t be cert� anybody is safe until their property has been burnt to the ground and they’re OK. If t�e’s still somet�g left to burn the wind could change and the fires turn back.

What I’m seeing on the�ws looks like a tidal wave, only fire,.and embers and hot ash are falling up to 20kms in front of the main fire fronts starting new fires. They say it sounds like standing next to a freight train, the roar of it.

The state morgue is full. They’re farming out th�odies to the medical departments at the universities for storage pending identification. They’ll have to hire a c� store soon or start trucking them to morgues interstate.

Y’know up north, summer� their monsoon season as well an being horrendously hot, is having record floods?

Andrea in OZ

Postby Andrea L Redden on Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:13 am

The Age http://www.theage.com.au/ gives decent coverage if you want to see what's going on.

Andrea

Next

Return to General Chat