The Dungiven Horror - a trews problem

England from the Tudors to the Stewarts, Flight of the Irish Earls, the Discovery of the Americas and Global Trade

Moderator: the_power

The Dungiven Horror - a trews problem

Postby carraig on Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:01 pm

I'm on a quest to make a nice pair of Dungiven trews (a whole Dungiven suit even).
As You probably know, these are a hell of a challenge to replicate. My problem is with the attachment of upper-leg pieces (the rectangles with one short side rounded). When You attach it to lower leg's slanted edge, should the rounded side of the rectangle point upwards or downwards?

I'd be grateful for any help on that matter.

Cheers,

Phil
carraig
Full Name: Phil Ginalski

Re: The Dungiven Horror - a trews problem

Postby finnobreanan on Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:45 pm

Did you buy the patterns from Reconstructing History? Kass McGann is a member the Irish Living History discussion group, but from my recent correspondence with her, she has been too busy to check the discussions anymore. Kass is great to work with and can probably provide you with the help you need if you e-mail her from the web site.
https://www.reconstructinghistory.com/r ... p=446&w=21

When I made mine, I did not use a pattern and went by the photographs in Dunlevy's book and other sources. I made the top/seat part first, then formed the legs around my own (all inside out) and pinned them together, and sewed them together. Thankfully my Leine hides the funky looking sewing job I did! :lol:
Finn O'Breanan
Wood Kerne

"...The O'Brennans, a sept of thieves without any right or title, ... were a perpetual disturbance to the peace of the county,"
finnobreanan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Scott Cross

Return to Early Modern