The sword in late medieval Ireland

Castles, Heavy Cavalry, Cities, Armour and Invention

Moderator: the_power

The sword in late medieval Ireland

Postby brendan_the_lesser on Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:43 pm

I'm looking for information on swords used in ireland from the late 12th to 15th centuries, maybe a little bit after, for a dissertation, can anyone help me with some book names or articles or anything else that might help.
thanks in advance!

Oh and if it turns out any good i might put it up here, save someone else a bit of work.
brendan_the_lesser
Full Name: Brendan Halpin

Re: The sword in late medieval Ireland

Postby claimhteoir on Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:05 am

This probably has something of use in it: http://www.deremilitari.org/resources/pdfs/simms.pdf

This also might have something of use: http://books.google.ie/books?id=cIFiNRH3oWsC (page 188 has a list of references that might be useful. It also has the correct journal reference for the above article!)
claimhteoir
Active Newbie
Full Name: None Set

Postby brendan_the_lesser on Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:27 pm

Thats great, thanks a load, going through the PDF now...
Lorna Dane, She's a babe!

Expandable Youth?
brendan_the_lesser

Postby claimhteoir on Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:23 pm

No prob. Hope it's of use!

Just realised that article is in a book I bought recently, which I haven't gotten to have a proper read of yet. It's "Irishmen in War, From the Crusades to 1798: Essays from the Irish Sword, Volume 1". There are a few other articles in it that might be of use to you. It's on Google Books but only in snippet view form: http://books.google.ie/books?id=DK5nAAA ... 798&pgis=1

Hayes-McCoy has another article in that book which you might try get your hadns on. It's about the army of Ulster around the end of the 16thC.

I have access to another Hayes-McCoy article on Strategy and Tactics in Irish Warfare. HEre's the link to the first page: http://www.jstor.org/pss/30005899

If you want that PM me with your email address and I'll send it to you.

Eóin
claimhteoir
Active Newbie
Full Name: None Set

Postby brendan on Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:25 pm

That 'Irish Sword' book is also for sale in Collins Barracks.

Brendan
brendan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Brendan Griffin

Postby brendan_the_lesser on Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:31 pm

i know i can get the Irish Sword Journals in College, so i should be able to find those articles now, but i think that Hayes-McCoy article might be a bit too late for me, but i'm sure i can get something from it, but i am at the moment reading his book Irish Battles, only one two really relevent battles in it, but he does discuss the arms and armements.

Expandable Youth?
brendan_the_lesser

Postby Swifty on Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:46 pm

You really need the following three books/booklets if you are writing any serious article on Irish Late Medieval swords. Hayes-McCoy gives a good introduction to the subject in 'Sixteenth Century Irish Swords' but he erroneously prescribes a 16thC date to some swords which were later correctly ascribed a 15thC date. Which leads us to Halpin - the most indispensible of the trio - who gives detailed mathematical dimensions and descriptions to all swords then known in the national collection at that time (mid 80's) and not many have been added since incidentally - the unique two handed ring-pommeled sword currently on display at Kildare St being one example of the latter. Wallace is important for the inevitable comparisons with Scottish weapons of contemporary times. All of these volumes are illustrated. Here they are listed:

Hayes-McCoy, G. A., Sixteenth Century Irish Swords in the National Museum of Ireland (Dublin, The Stationery Office, 1977)
Halpin, Andrew, ‘Irish Medieval Swords c. 1170-1600’ �Proceedings of the Royal Irish Academy 86, C, No. 5 (Dublin, Royal Irish Academy, 1986)
Wallace, John, Scottish Swords and Dirks (Arms and Armour Press, 1970)
D Swift www.claiomh.ie c.795-1660
Swifty
Active Newbie
Full Name: Dave Swift

Postby brendan_the_lesser on Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:12 am

gotten to all three already, but thanks for the suggestions and any others would be greatly appreciated, thanks again to everyone who's offered advice and suggestions

Expandable Youth?
brendan_the_lesser

Postby Swifty on Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:45 pm

I see. Well, what else do you need? There's little else specificly on Irish Medieval swords without moving into the realms of general medieval Irish warfare articles which are too numerous to mention in the here and now. Perhaps you already have consulted Oakeshott 'European Weapons & Armour' for European comparison - best book in it's field at that level by a country mile.
D Swift www.claiomh.ie c.795-1660
Swifty
Active Newbie
Full Name: Dave Swift

Postby brendan_the_lesser on Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:09 pm

Oakeshott's was the very first book i went to, a great help, and so many pretty picture *drool* :lol:

I think at this stage i have plenty of texts to work on, including an as yet unpublished translation of Richard Stenihurst's De Rebus in Hibernia Gestis (1584) from my history lecturer, which has some great info on Irish culture and customs as well as some infromation on warfare.
Thanks to everyone who has made suggestions and if i think of any other related areas i need info on i'll be back

Expandable Youth?
brendan_the_lesser

Next

Return to Late Medieval