Early Medieval Irish, Viking and Saxon blades

Merchants can advertise here, private individuals are welcome to hawk their wares. Seek advice on new investments!

Moderator: the_power

Early Medieval Irish, Viking and Saxon blades

Postby claimhteoir on Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:09 pm

Hey folks,

Came across this website...

http://www.powning.com/jake/commish/swords4.shtml

I'm just wondering what people think? Some of the craftsmanship is extremely impressive - the carvings etc. Do we think any of it has historical precident? I think the "Irish Chieftain" piece is nice (I really like the fish tail chape), but I think 26" for a blade in an Irish iron age or early medieval context is a bit too long to be anything other than unusual (I'm not saying it wasn't possible). I could justify around 18", expecting most to be 10" or so.

Anyway, I'm not a weapons expert, so can anyone comment on either the quality of the construction or the archeological evidence to support any of the Irish stuff on the site? The celtic leaf blade one in the work in progress section is also fairly eye-catching.

Eóin
claimhteoir
Active Newbie
Full Name: None Set

Re: Early Medieval Irish, Viking and Saxon blades

Postby the_power on Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:19 am

The construction quality seems amazing, and they are some beautiful pieces. I don't know am I just tainted from hundreds of reenactment swords over the years, but they don't look like the maker is aiming at authentic replicas - these are original pieces of art inspired by historical blades, influenced by "dark fairies" and the like.

If you really wanted something nice, I'm sure he could make you an authentic replica. Though, that said, if you had that sort of money for a sword I'd sent you to Bob Davies in Sligo - his website is http://vikingswords.net/ - he does authentic replicas, and he's a jeweller more than a swordmaker, so the quality is superb. He also has some cheaper replicas that are good for fighting with, and usually brings them to a few Fingal Living History events during the year.

John
the_power
Active Newbie
Full Name: John Looney

Re: Early Medieval Irish, Viking and Saxon blades

Postby Ambiorix apsealgair on Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:44 pm

i recently bought one fromhim and its a really nice sword
Ambiorix apsealgair
Active Newbie
Full Name: Alex Lee

Return to Buy and Sell