Letavia, the Britons of the late Vth century

Introduce yourself here; who you are, where you are based, and any groups you are in.

Moderator: the_power

Letavia, the Britons of the late Vth century

Postby Morcant on Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:23 pm

Hello everyone, I realised I forgot to post something here about me and my group.
Im Morcant, Benjamin as my real name and was also known as Agraes on the older forum. Im member and co-founder of Letavia. We re-enact Britons of the late Vth century AD, settled in north-west Gaul, hence our name - one of the earlist known names of Brittany, in its latinised version, or Letau in Brittonic and still Llydaw in modern welsh. We are actually 17 members, mostly "sub-roman" soldiers, still organised in legions as attested by several sources in the era, including Procopius. We also have a pictish "auxiliary" and we plan to get for a part of us some "barbarian" side kit, ie either german, pictish or irish, or both.
My own character name is Morcant map Conmail, and he is supposed to be a "hiberno-briton", beeing from Dyfed, an area of Wales settled by the Deisi Muman and the Ui Liathain around the IVth century onwards if not before, and I also plan to do a Vth century gaelic impression once Im done with this one.

We work a lot with the other late-/sub-roman groups from France such as the Foederati and the Herculiani. For those who can read a bit of french, here is the late antic forum, with a lot of information, archeological pieces, etc. English speakers are welcome!
http://magister.olympe-network.com/forum/index.php

Enough speak, here some pictures of us.

Training with the new recruits in last November.

At Archeon Late Roman Event III in the Netherlands in August 2008.

The Letavia with our friends from the Foederati, Herculiani and Limitis at Marle in France in June 2008.

Drust map Talorgan, our Pictish warrior.

And our blog: http://letavia.canalblog.com/
Morcant
Full Name: Benjamin Franckaert

Re: Letavia, the Britons of the late Vth century

Postby bannerman on Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:25 am

Hello Morcant,
The pictish warriors kit looks impressive.
Ive been to Carnac, Santec and Morlaix in Brittany and have read up on your countrys history in Peter Berresford Ellis' books "The Celtic Revolution", "Celtic Inheritance" etc. Theres references to an Irish Saint - Saint Ciaran making his way to Finisterre to minister there about 400a.d. He is known as St. Pirran in Cornwall and proably has a similar name in breton. As a matter of interest does anyone in your group speak the Breton language?
Ive recently started researching and putting together kit for Iron Age Ireland - its fairly different to the kit of an Iron age Briton - ie no chain mail,no large metal [battersea type] shields, different swords, different styles of broaches and ornaments. Billy, who youll find on this site, is proably the best man to get you info on Irish kit from the period if you want to add an Irish auxialliary / mercinary to your group.

Padraig
http://www.warofindependence.net/

"Is doigh linn gur mor iad na daoine mora mar atamuid fein ar ar nglunaibh. - Eirimis!!!"
Jim Larkin 1913
bannerman
Active Newbie
Full Name: Padraig O Ruairc

Postby gaius marius on Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:04 pm

I like the pic lads. welcome to livinghistory by the way 8-)
"The Kaiser knows the Munsters,
by the Shamrock on their caps,
And the famous Bengal Tiger, ever ready for a scrap,
And all his big battalions, Prussian Guards and grenadiers,
Fear to face the flashing bayonets of the Munster Fusiliers."

Go bua
gaius marius
Active Newbie

Postby Morcant on Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:44 pm

Yes, we are several people speaking breton in the group. I started to learn it this year ;)
Morcant

Postby Morcant on Wed May 27, 2009 4:10 pm

Some more recent pictures.

Morcant

Return to Introductions