Vikings in Ireland: Settlement, Trade, and Urbanization

Viking, Saxon, and Early Christian Irish cultures

Moderator: the_power

Vikings in Ireland: Settlement, Trade, and Urbanization

Postby finnobreanan on Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:35 am

For Christmas my father-in-law bought me Vikings in Ireland: Settlement, Trade, and Urbanization, by Mary A. Valante and published by Four Courts Press (God I love their books and can hardly afford them!).
http://www.fourcourtspress.ie/product.p ... ductID=781

This is a very scholarly book that is incredibly well researched. The emphasis is not on Viking raiding and battles, which are well covered by other authors, but examines the why, where and when of Viking imigration and settlement in Ireland. The book is divided into chapters on:
1. Early Irish Economics
2. Longphort...Viking setlement in Ireland
3. Ireland and Scandanavia in the 9th century
4. Impact of Viking settlement
5. Settlement and Turf wars (Viking vs. Viking)
6. International trade and economy
7. Local trade and economy
8. From Clontarf to the Normans

The book is heavily footnoted and well documented. What I really liked is that the author divides each chapter into digestable sections (there is a lot of information here) and the summarises each chapter very well. The entire book is then concluded in a very easy to understand chapter. For any serious student of the Viking influence in Ireland, this book is a "Must Read".
Finn O'Breanan
Wood Kerne

"...The O'Brennans, a sept of thieves without any right or title, ... were a perpetual disturbance to the peace of the county,"
finnobreanan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Scott Cross

Re: Vikings in Ireland: Settlement, Trade, and Urbanization

Postby claimhteoir on Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:48 am

I'd say it's a fantastic read. Thanks for sharing!
claimhteoir
Active Newbie
Full Name: None Set

Postby the_power on Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:14 pm

Wow, cool. Our head chef in work bought it for me as a christmas present, and I assumed it was mainly fluff, so hadn't even opened it yet. Yay.

John
the_power
Active Newbie
Full Name: John Looney

Postby claimhteoir on Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:15 am

Oh nice! Good present! I got T.M. Charles Edwards "Early Christian Ireland", O Cronin's "The History of Ireland Vol. 1: Prehistoric and Early Medieval Ireland", Cosgrove's "The History of Ireland Vol. 2: Medieval Ireland 1169-1534" and O Siochru's "God's Executioner: Cromwell's campaign in Ireland". I've a lot of reading to do. I'm also expecting Irish Kings and High Kings by FJ Byrne... well, I've been told to expect it.
claimhteoir
Active Newbie
Full Name: None Set

Postby finnobreanan on Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:36 am

claimhteoir wrote:Oh nice! Good present! I got T.M. Charles Edwards "Early Christian Ireland", O Cronin's "The History of Ireland Vol. 1: Prehistoric and Early Medieval Ireland", Cosgrove's "The History of Ireland Vol. 2: Medieval Ireland 1169-1534" and O Siochru's "God's Executioner: Cromwell's campaign in Ireland". I've a lot of reading to do. I'm also expecting Irish Kings and High Kings by FJ Byrne... well, I've been told to expect it.

Dam Eoin! Santa Clause was good to you! My Wife bought me Hospitality in Ireland: 900-1500, by Catherine Marie O'Sullivan, but I havenen't started reading yet. Once I wade through it I will post a review.
Finn O'Breanan
Wood Kerne

"...The O'Brennans, a sept of thieves without any right or title, ... were a perpetual disturbance to the peace of the county,"
finnobreanan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Scott Cross

Postby RecycledViking on Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:04 pm

I recently picked up The Far Traveler: Voyages of a Viking Woman by Nancy Marie Brown at the Strand in NYC. It was $12.50 and it looked like a breezy read (bibliography but no footnotes). I started reading it and I was amazed. The author is not a re-enactor per se, but she has experience on archaeological digs, replica ship sailings, and is well-acquainted with medieval Icelandic literature.
I would of course prefer everything to be footnoted to Hel, but having colloquial discussions on female clothing, ship construction, and saga interpretation is awesome!
'I think Yank, but maybe Æsir'
RecycledViking
Full Name: Annie Humphrey

Postby the_power on Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:24 pm

So, I just finished this book.

I can honestly say it's REQUIRED reading for anyone doing reenactment of anything Norse in Ireland. Really, really wonderful stuff.

John
the_power
Active Newbie
Full Name: John Looney

Postby Cathal on Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:10 pm

Thank you, guys - I've ordered my book just a few minutes ago.

Wooohoooo!!! :D
...try always to be on the right end of the sword...
Cathal
Active Newbie
Full Name: Stefan Seiler

Return to Early-Medieval