Irish Volunteers Drill Manual

From the Crimean War to the Wars in the Gulf. The death of global empires and the rise of a global economy.

Moderator: the_power

Irish Volunteers Drill Manual

Postby Jacobite on Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:19 pm

'Slí Na Saoirse - Leabhar Drille' the Irish volunteers training manual - is it possible to source these at all? Are their copies available? I hear they are fairly similar to British infantry manuals at the time. Can anyone help?
Jacobite
Full Name: Ryan Martin

Re: Irish Volunteers Drill Manual

Postby bannerman on Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:00 pm

Hello Jacobite.
I havent seen a hard copy myself but your best bet to find on would be the national library in Kildare street. They have a copy of the Fianna Eireann handbooks both (1914 and 1923) which included rifle drill. I also have a list of drill commands translated to Irish from a copy of An-toglach dated November 1921 - which by the way are completely different to the words used by the Irish Army / PDF when drilling.
Your best bet really is to learn the standard British Army WW1 Lee Enfield rifle drill and use the commands in English. Remember that at its foundation when the movement was still considered "respectable" by the Irish Parlimentry Party the majority of the Irish Volunteers drill instructors were either ex-British army or British Army reservists. Many Volunteer companies were also trained by senior Fianna Eireann scouts hence the drill information mentioned above. After 1916 and into the W.O.I. period many I.R.A. leaders were Irish veterns of the Great war ie. Tom Barry in Cork, Ignatious O Neill in Clare, etc... and again would have used a standard British army drill in English. By this time anyway the theory of Boer style guerilla warfare was taking over and fancy green uniforms and hours spent drilling instead of training went out the window.
Where are you based? My group the Kakhi and Green do both sides British and Irish of the 1913 - 1921 period and most of the lads drill regularily in Kildare if youd be interested in coming along? Im happy to help you out with any kit and historical queries via livinghistory.ie and if you arent in a group / or are in a group that would like to tag along occasionaly please get in contact.

Slan
Padraig
http://www.warofindependence.net/

"Is doigh linn gur mor iad na daoine mora mar atamuid fein ar ar nglunaibh. - Eirimis!!!"
Jim Larkin 1913
bannerman
Active Newbie
Full Name: Padraig O Ruairc

Postby Jacobite on Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:33 am

Thanks for you speedy response! I'll contact you via PM soon when I have more time (christmas day etc)! I appreciate it!!
Jacobite
Full Name: Ryan Martin

Postby bannerman on Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:53 pm

Hi Jacobite,

I know that this post is old and dont know wether your still interested in doing War Of Independence re-enactment but if you are than you can find a copy of the manual in the Military Archives Cathal Brugha Barracks.

Its reference number is C.D./ 273/5/a

If you are still interested in the period. give me an e-mail. padraigoruairc@gmail.com
http://www.warofindependence.net/

"Is doigh linn gur mor iad na daoine mora mar atamuid fein ar ar nglunaibh. - Eirimis!!!"
Jim Larkin 1913
bannerman
Active Newbie
Full Name: Padraig O Ruairc

Return to 20th Century