Event Risk Management Training

Let us know about interesting events here

Moderator: the_power

Event Risk Management Training

Postby brendan on Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:35 pm

All,
I am currently looking at the feasibility of a 1 or 2 day training course in Risk Management for events. The reason for this is to a) Help us organise safer events b) Improve the quality of what we are offering.

This will be based on the syllabus of a 3rd level course but tailored to the needs of reenactors. The course will be delivered by a lecturer in Event Risk Management.

The idea is that at the end of the training each participant would have:
    A basic understanding of the issues
    A structured approach to risk assessments for events
    A certificate of attendance at the course (Not confirmed at this stage). This merely says that you were there. Something with Academic Credits is a lot more expensive

The 2 day event would cost in the region of €50 to €1�per day per person. This is a lot cheaper than if you were to try and get this on the open market.
This would need a minimum of 10 people and a maximum of 20 people in order to work.

My intention is to have this well before the season starts. I am currently thinking of the start of March.
This would be open to anyone involved in organising reenactment events.

So,

list]
  • Are you interested?
  • Are you willing to pay for this?

• If I can get 10 names willing to pay for this I will progress this. This would put the cost at approximately €100�r day. 20 people would half the cost. Costings are an estimate at this point and no one will be bound to commit themselves until the final cost is pinned down. Incidentally, I am not going to make any money out of this.

Brendan
    brendan
    Active Newbie
    Full Name: Brendan Griffin

Re: Event Risk Management Training

Postby vimes on Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:09 pm

Sounds great I'd be up for that in princable. will have to do a full S.W.O.T on it first though :D keep me posted
    If you belive in yourself, follow your dreams, and trust in your star ..you will always be beaten by people who worked hard and were'nt as lazy as you
    vimes
    Full Name: Francis Devenney

Postby knightofredemption on Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:49 pm

Yes sounds interesting, Although I have commitment for the last two weeks in march and possibly the first week too. So a tight window of opportunity there.
    Everything in moderation, including Moderation.
    knightofredemption
    Site Admin
    Full Name: Paul Wickham

Postby Na Fianna Éireann on Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:15 pm

I would be interested as would others in the kgk family long time since I heard the swot theory thermonology lol , Not since I did my degree . Would the course cover all aspects of legislation including spears , swords , pikes , firearms and blanks from all periods , pyrotechnics as I am sure these salient points on the legality off people traveling from one juristicion to another a commonly posed question is "Is it possible to bring over some blank fire weapons from England to Ireland and vice versa , If so what would be the procedure? "

Also the need for proper insurance in case some one gets hurt during the course of an event from a sword blow or arrow as happened at Detling this year .I know John and others have spoken about insurance etc and hopefully thats one or the items that the Limerick meeting can address for all interested parties .
    Na Fianna Éireann Fíor inár gCroíthe Neart inár Láimhe Comhsheasmhacht inár dTeanga.
    Na Fianna Éireann
    Active Newbie
    Full Name: i never forget

Postby brendan on Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:00 pm

This is not about legislation - there wont be a lawyer involved.
    It IS about giving people an approach to looking at the way they run events which applies best practice to how we look for and deal with potential risks.

I will take your answer as a tentative yes,,,
    Obviously no one is expected to fully commit until they have seen all the details

Brendan
    brendan
    Active Newbie

Postby Dave Mooney on Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:57 pm

Is there any form accreditation of completing the course? Or is it a 'here's the stuff you need to know' ?
    Dave Mooney.
    Mogh Roith- Historical Living History Group. http://moghroith.org
    Dave Mooney
    Active Newbie
    Full Name: Dave Mooney

Postby brendan on Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:36 pm

The course is based on a fully accredited module.
    I can arrange for formal accreditation but it will require academic approval etc (which is doable). This will delay the course AND increase the cost. I suppose the plus side is that this would make it possible to recoup costs from employer etc...If there is sufficient interest I will look at this.

Brendan
    brendan
    Active Newbie

Postby The Pards on Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:55 pm

Like the idea if it's going to cover all periods of re-enacting. I would as an event organizer think that it should be a positive experence.

So a yes from here at this stage, keep us posted, please.

Dave Levins
    Fight the Good Fight!

Fred Ricksburg,

The Pard's
    The Pards
    Full Name: Fred Ricksburg

Postby Bandraoi on Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:47 am

Whether accreditation is necessary would depend on the employer... I'm up for this. Accreditation would be most excellent, but learning the stuff I need to know from a reliable and responsible source would be good for now.

Perhaps it could be arranged that if/when this course gets accredited, those who have done it could take a refresher course/sit an exam and claim the accreditation?

In the meantime, I'm definitely interested. Will sign up dependant on date/time suitability.

Lora
    ~ Is minic a bhris beal duine a shron ~
    It's often that a person's mouth breaks their nose...
    New web site for Rathcroghan, seat of Kingship in the west of Ireland for nearly 2000 years! http://www.rathcroghan.ie
    Bandraoi
    Active Newbie
    Full Name: Wethren DeStoirm

Return to Events