Little Lamb Bone Lucets

Share your work & ask for assistence for arts & crafts that don't fit into a specific time period

Moderator: the_power

Little Lamb Bone Lucets

Postby Andrea L Redden on Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:46 pm

Oooo, this is my type of forum!

http://forums.armourarchive.org/phpBB2/ ... ight=lucet

Anybody know of any little, lamb, leg-bone, lucets from Hiberno-Norse Dublin, or anywhere else in Ireland, like the ones from Sigtuna on the thread above? The ones most re-enactors in Australia make and use are whacking great things made from cow leg bones. I've never had anybody come up with a reference for them. 'Course they may be perfectly period and documentable but they're just as likely to be a reenactorism.

I made one of the little lamb ones once and it worked perfectly well as long as you made the prongs angled very slightly outwards from each other. Made a lovely cord with silk embroidery floss.

Andrea the Aussie
Full Name: Andrea L Willett

Re: Little Lamb Bone Lucets

Postby vlasta on Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:44 pm

The closest one I know is from Viking Age York , and is crafted from a cow nasal bone.
Image, but I'll keep looking. In The Archaeology of Early Medieval Ireland some 'double-pointed bone tool from Larrybane' is mentioned (as a possible tool for making nets), but I don't know, is it a lucet, or some kind of netting-needle.
vlasta
Full Name: Dorota Rawicz-Lipinska

Postby Andrea L Redden on Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:21 pm

Thanks. I knew about the York nasal bone but not the Larrybane doovalackie. Is there a photo in the text, or any further references to where it might be written up?

That book in on the list of things-to-mention-to-people-if-they-ask-me-what-I-want-for-Christmas list.

Andrea
Full Name: Andrea L Willett

Postby Stitchlily on Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:42 pm

I was looking around other forums to see what fibres were used to braid and I've seen a lot of debate about whether lucets were actually used. Most people say there is no evidence of the braids, so they mustn't have existed until much later. And are very adamant it should not be used for costumes from this time.

Personally, I'm all for being authentic but, realistically... a bit of leeway should be allowed...

Here I've tried 2 types of rough linen, wool, and cotton (for practise and to compare)

Also, I tried the technique of frogging, which looks like it could be surface decoration, eg added to uniforms and the like....
Stitchlily
Full Name: Stitchlily

Return to Arts & Crafts