Bunratty 09

Let us know about interesting events here

Moderator: the_power

Bunratty 09

Postby barry on Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:23 am

The Fingal Living History Society would like to announce Bunratty 2009.
The show will take place on the weekend of the 27th/28th June ‘09,
The battle of Clontarf will be the theme of the event.
More details, kit guide etc to follow soon.

Fingal Living History Society
Bringing the Past to Life
None
barry
Active Newbie

Re: Bunratty 09

Postby Matt on Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:39 pm

Great! Looking forward to it, last year was a blast, I heard at Lanark the Vik were making this a major on their gig list, so maybe 200+ on the field then :twisted:
Matt Ferris - Odin's Einherjare
Matt
Full Name: Matt ferris

Postby brendan on Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:41 am

Hopefully it will be a good event - one of many Clontarf themed events run by the Irish reenactment community in the years leading up to 2014.

Brendan
brendan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Brendan Griffin

Postby Dave Mooney on Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:47 pm

Fair dos for trying to run with the Clontarf thing Baz, ever leading from the front, but personally I think it's a little early to be running anything with the Clontarf badge on it. We're only getting to talk it up properly at the moment. Rather I think a build up to it in say 2011 to 13 would serve us better and not burn out the idea too early. We could be fed up with the prequels by the time it arrives.

Would you not consider looking up battles or other events in the Shannon area prior to Clontarf? Thing is that although there was Vike influence from the Bunratty area, on one side of the Shannon, and from Mungret on the other working in towards Limerick in the early days, by the time Clontarf happened they were largely living on Thomas' Island and Kings Island and generally creating Limerick. From about 812 there was a walled town established and in the late 900's they were busy being burned out of it by Boru's brother, from his fort just out the road in Singland, prior to Boru making allies out of them in time for the High King face off in Clontarf. The Limerick Danes had an on going fight with their Dublin cousins anyway.
Would you think about going with the Bunratty trading post supporting Limerick against the O'Brien's but then being obliged to pay an annual tribute to Brian Boru and allying with him scenario and use it to sell the up-coming Clontarf events instead? There is a stack of stuff could be used as prelude to the Clontarf thing that would wet the appetites first.

I think a time line wind-up would better serve the over all Clontarf project and better entice the visiting groups.

If the Clontarf badge is over used now it will be harder to sell and get funding for it later.

Also, How do you propose to address the Viking to Gael imbalance? Will you be encouraging Gael representation at your events from now on?
Dave Mooney.
Mogh Roith- Historical Living History Group. http://moghroith.org
Dave Mooney
Active Newbie
Full Name: Dave Mooney

Postby martynm on Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:06 pm

Looking forward to it Barry ! we will be there !!
IT"S WHAT I DO !
martynm
Full Name: martynm

Postby panda on Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:43 pm

Hey Barry. I hope to be there. I must say I agree with what Dave says about using the Clontarf card too much.
Oh and I should be there. :)
"Althalus was a thief after all and he devoutly believed that actually working for a living was immoral"

Remember kids: fork + shoe = spleen

Fightin, drinkin' an' snaffling coo beastie!!!!!!!!!!
panda
Active Newbie

Postby martynm on Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:15 pm

The only thing that i can see as a problem is calling it the Battle of Clontarf! And thats because of the locality! maybe pick up on some event that went on around that time frame, and contributed to what went on at Clontarf! any way thats your bizz dude and i know that whatever you call it it'll Rawk! :lol:

Martyn: Cu-Glas K.H.I re-enactment :evil:
IT"S WHAT I DO !
martynm
Full Name: martynm

Postby wolfvine on Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:01 pm

Greetings my friends.

Hi Barry! Good to see Bunratty on for 2009. If you can use a battered, crocked old Viking :lol: then I'd love to muck in if you have the space.

All the best Sean Shields
wolfvine
Active Newbie
Full Name: Sean Shields

Postby Bandraoi on Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:00 pm

Excellent :) Put me down for a Gaelic O'Brien :twisted:
~ Is minic a bhris beal duine a shron ~
It's often that a person's mouth breaks their nose...
New web site for Rathcroghan, seat of Kingship in the west of Ireland for nearly 2000 years! http://www.rathcroghan.ie
Bandraoi
Active Newbie
Full Name: Wethren DeStoirm

Postby frodo on Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:56 am

Cant wait for it again this year Baz it should be a cracker... will the magical power showers be up again? Which groups plan to attend if you know because there were BIG numbers there last year are we to expect the same again?
frodo

Next

Return to Events