Historical Times- December Articles

Moderator: the_power

Historical Times- December Articles

Postby Historical Times on Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:53 pm

All

We're getting ready to put the Nov/Dec issue of historical times togather. We've had a massive response to the first issue (downloaded 873 times) and have had 7 articles submitted so far for Dec/Nov. From what we have received so far it would appear that none of the 'older' groups are interested in publishing anything. We have had a great response from Americal Civil War, WWI, WWII etc. but nothing prior to that. If you are interested in publishing an article please bang it off to:

editor@historicaltimes.net

Best Regards

Historical times.
Historical Times
Full Name: Historical Times

Re: Historical Times- December Articles

Postby Dave Mooney on Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:04 pm

I wanted to comment earlier but I put it on the long finger and it ended up feeling totally awkward.
There was a few of us noticed there was little of interest in the first issue for the eras we cover but were, at the same time, very concious that we didn't submit anything to it. So that's not to be taken as a complaint. It's an observation on ourselves.

I had steered clear of the publication so as to give it a clear run and in no way influence it, having previously published a newsletter. That's not to be taken as a lack of endorsement or support BTW.

In terms of feedback; My only true criticism would be on the length of some of the articles that were featured. I know there are no page limits in an e-production but 5 and 8 pagers are a bit of a steep climb when it's not of much interest to a given reader. Suggest limiting the article sizes or spanning the larger articles over issues perhaps?!

Personally I'm not in a writing place right now. Brainstorming maybe but not a research for article way. That can't be helped. Maybe it is a younger 'groups' game :roll:

Would a wish list form us lot help prise out any articles that might be just bubbling under the surface?

Do any of the archaeologists out there have any accounts of digs they've been on etc.? That would be interesting.
Or is anyone undertaking projects they could report on? (I'll try record anything we do but it will likely be going up on our web site as well and not be till after mid January at the earliest)
Ye oldie gig review was always a good one I thought. Any brave soul willing to put their judges wig on?
Dave Mooney.
Mogh Roith- Historical Living History Group. http://moghroith.org
Dave Mooney
Active Newbie
Full Name: Dave Mooney

Postby Historical Times on Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:47 pm

Hi Dave

Dave Mooney wrote:I wanted to comment earlier but I put it on the long finger and it ended up feeling totally awkward.
There was a few of us noticed there was little of interest in the first issue for the eras we cover but were, at the same time, very concious that we didn't submit anything to it. So that's not to be taken as a complaint. It's an observation on ourselves.

I guess you answered that one yourself. We can only publish what we're given. We have had nothing from early period Irish groups. When we first announced the publication a number of early period groups committed to submitting material (in fairness you made it perfectly clear that you would not be writing articles) but we received nothing so far...

I had steered clear of the publication so as to give it a clear run and in no way influence it, having previously published a newsletter. That's not to be taken as a lack of endorsement or support BTW.

We really want this to be a 'community' driven project. Look Dave, you've been in this game a long time and have seen many events. You published your own newsletter in the past very successfully. Having you at the steering wheel would be a very positive thing, the more people who come on board with your type of experience the better.

In terms of feedback; My only true criticism would be on the length of some of the articles that were featured. I know there are no page limits in an e-production but 5 and 8 pagers are a bit of a steep climb when it's not of much interest to a given reader. Suggest limiting the article sizes or spanning the larger articles over issues perhaps?![/code]

This is something we though about and to be frank we don't have the answer yet. Firstly we try to publish articles as submitted and getting the authors agreement on a heavily edited article can prove difficult. That said, if people aren’t interested in an article they're not going to read it whether it's 10 pages or 1. I think in time we'll get the right balance.

quote]Personally I'm not in a writing place right now. Brainstorming maybe but not a research for article way. That can't be helped. Maybe it is a younger 'groups' game :roll:

Rubbish! Your only as old as the sheep you s**g! As for brainstorming, that would most welcome - any advice very kindly accepted.

Would a wish list form us lot help prise out any articles that might be just bubbling under the surface?

Great idea! Any chance you'd start the ball rolling?

Ye oldie gig review was always a good one I thought. Any brave soul willing to put their judges wig on?

This is a good point. When we first thought of doing this we thought the mag would be more focused on re-enactment news, event reviews, community digest etc. This is what we'd really love to see rather than purely articles. Small pieces, funny tales, announcements etc. are most welcome.

There is currently another thread here called 'Suggested ways to improve re-enactment'. Is Historical Times not such an opportunity? Re-enactment will only ever be what we make it, Historical Times was launched to serve the community, it's up to us what we make of it.
Historical Times
Full Name: Historical Times

Postby Dave Mooney on Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:27 pm

Well if there are pledged submissions folks would want to shake a tail feather!

I suppose the internet being so up to the minute impacts on zines but there are a lot of on-line zines so that's not the real issue. We just have to get stuff that's not so time or conversation indexed.

Reviews and reports aren't so covered here so that would be a good start. That's why I asked about any archaeologists out there want to give the spoiler on digs they may have been on.

I'll try get something together but wont say what.
Dave Mooney.
Mogh Roith- Historical Living History Group. http://moghroith.org
Dave Mooney
Active Newbie
Full Name: Dave Mooney

Return to General Chat