Perfect brewing LH display

Viking, Saxon, and Early Christian Irish cultures

Moderator: the_power

Perfect brewing LH display

Postby the_power on Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:49 am

Hey guys. I was thinking of re-vamping the rather poor brewing LH display I had done previously, where I'd a few kegs with mead in, some bottles with herbs and hops, and did a speil about how brewing was done. Very exhassting.

Rather, I want to do it as an active work shop, with multiple people working on it.

Growing; have the site prepped with some growing barley, maybe even in a bucket. When is the absolute latest you can plant winter barley ? Where can you get seed-quality winter barley (note, I live in a city) ?
Herbs; it'd be cool to have planted examples of the herbs used. I'll see can I source some for mugwort, yarrow and labrador tea.
Malting; have people soaking grains for a while, then putting them into a barrel, stopping it for a few days till they start to sprout. Let people look into a barrel of damp grain, I suppose.
Roasting; setup a fire...and somehow dry out the damp malted grains.
Crushing; mortar and pestle seems a lot of effort to crush the dried grains. When were mangles used ?
Boiling; metal cauldron to boil the grains for an hour
Buckets; initial fermentation, with some starters. Froth would be cool.
End product; work some way where we could give out little tasters to the public, even if it's weak Lidl beer, steeped in medieval herbs :)

John
the_power
Active Newbie
Full Name: John Looney

Re: Perfect brewing LH display

Postby vlasta on Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:28 pm

Good luck Johh! Maybe you try to contact this lads for some hints and tips? They made beer in fulachta fiadh (the whole experiment was described in Archaeology Ireland , Issue Autumn 2007), and it worked pretty well.
vlasta
Full Name: Dorota Rawicz-Lipinska

Postby Andrea L Redden on Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:01 pm

That sounds REALLY interesting John. Were you going to do some sort of writeup on it when you have everything sorted out? I'm fairly certain some of our guys would be interested in trying this for a public display Downunder.

Andrea
Full Name: Andrea L Willett

Postby claimhteoir on Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:46 am

That sounds brilliant!

I don't know how I can help, but if you're looking for someone to taste the end product, I'll volunteer! :lol:
claimhteoir
Active Newbie
Full Name: None Set

Return to Early-Medieval