[Req] Tips for Researching Family History

Moderator: the_power

[Req] Tips for Researching Family History

Postby FrCrilly on Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:43 pm

Hi All,

I’m planning to research my family history to fullest extent that records will allow. Any help with the below questions from people with experience in the area will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in Advance for all responses.

1. I’v�o far compiled the below list of Places to look for Family History. Can anyone recommend other places to look that may be of value?
2. If any of the below places allow you to look up information by internet, is there any advantage in actually visiting the records office itself? (eg getting a feel for a document)
3. In the event I have to travel (eg to London), can anyone give me pointers on how to ensure I can get everything done efficiently in one visit?
4. I am inexperienced in this area. Any general pointers on how to go about this project in the best way will also be appreciated.

Places to look for Family History

County Library (Wexford, Roscommon,Mayo)
- Tithe of Applotment Records
- Griffith Land Registry

Dublin
- National Archive Office
- National Library
- Birth and Death Register

London
- Public Records Office
FrCrilly
Full Name: Anonymous Coward

Re: [Req] Tips for Researching Family History

Postby finnobreanan on Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:02 pm

Here's a good starting point for on line sources and research centers. It is always better to visit the centers in person if you can. The first step is to interview the oldest members of your family and get names, dates, and places to start from.

http://irelandgenealogyprojects.rootsweb.ancestry.com/
Finn O'Breanan
Wood Kerne

"...The O'Brennans, a sept of thieves without any right or title, ... were a perpetual disturbance to the peace of the county,"
finnobreanan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Scott Cross

Postby azure on Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:29 pm

Parish records are also good, and if you can establish a family connection with a certain church, graveyards are worth visiting.
Eimear
Qui male cogitat, male sibi
azure

Postby brendan on Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:33 pm

The first step is to talk to living relatives and construct as much of a family tree as possible. Where possible, this should include dates of birth and similar information. However, this information should be treated with caution: People often lied about their age (especially where a woman married a younger man!) - at any rate it is a good place to start.

Where are you based? What county are your ancestors from?? - This makes a big difference in terms of information available.

Census information from 1901 and 1911 is available online in libraries. County Clare library has census information online to all in their web site.

What religion are your ancestors? This determines the type of Parish record you can look at. Until recently there was no requirement for (Catholic) parishes to allow people look at their records. It was very much down to getting the Parish Priest on the right day. However, I think that these (Births, Deaths and Marriages) are now available at the national library (I think that there was a court case about some of it).

Griffiths evaluation is very useful. I think that some of it is available online BUT this is not the full story. What you really need to see is the original versions which has the ammendments (In different colour inks to show the date when ammended). It will take a lot of time to figure this out but can show you transfer/sale of land and that sort of thing.
The big advantage of this is that it goes back to the mid 1800s (1870s anyway) whereas the Census stops at 1901.

If you manage to get back that far and find out where the ancestral home is you can get lucky by visiting the area and *maybe* finding living relatives/cousins. They will probably talk to you so long as they are certain that you are not returned home to make some sort of claim on the ancestral land.

Graveyards are (as stated) good, but you need some names first.

In summary:
-Talk to old relatives if you can.
-Look at census information
-Look at Griffiths evaluation
-Look at Parish records
-Maybe visit homeplace and try and find someone there who knows of your family. To some people the mid 1800s is almost living memory.

BTW, havent done this stuff myself but my father has - so some caveats need to be applied on what I have said!

Brendan
brendan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Brendan Griffin

Postby museumtom on Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:43 am

I collect war dead databases and am happy to do look ups mainly ww1.
Regards.
Tom.
museumtom
Active Newbie
Full Name: Tom Burnell

Postby Na Fianna Éireann on Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:34 pm

in belfast public record office is in balmoral avenue between the malone road and the lisburn road easy to get to for the m1 motorway if traveling from derry or dublin come of at the stockmans lane exit and travel towards the kings hall , go under the railway bridge and driver straight ahead for 550 metres and it is on your left hand side , get there early as they only admitt each day a certain quota off people at the one time . they are very helpful and will assist you although you may have to pay a small fee if you take up this service .

chichester street in belfast the different register of births ,deaths and marriages are available each day monday to friday approx 10 am to 3.30 pm each day where you can request details etc .
hope that this may have assisted you someways in your search . you also have the ulster genological society google them for details
best of luck shergar
Na Fianna Éireann Fíor inár gCroíthe Neart inár Láimhe Comhsheasmhacht inár dTeanga.
Na Fianna Éireann
Active Newbie
Full Name: i never forget

Return to General Chat