hello im new so be gentle

Introduce yourself here; who you are, where you are based, and any groups you are in.

Moderator: the_power

hello im new so be gentle

Postby airgead on Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:22 pm

hello everyone, i have just started looking into the living history thing and im a little vexed as to where to start, im a yorkshire man myself but i live in tynagh, near portumna. the period im interested in is the late iron age, mainly due to the fact that i am training as a blade smith, (you cant beat a piece of white hot metal, well you can but you get what i mean), the main question is where can i find the right fabric to make up a set of clothing? i have done some reserch and i have an idea of what i should look like but i have no clue as to where to find the materials, i should also mention that im on a tight budget..... any ideas would be really usefull, also any general info and people i should chatt to would be great too.
airgead
Full Name: anthony vincent

Re: hello im new so be gentle

Postby knightofredemption on Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:51 pm

Welcome the the forum airgead, I will leave others more qualified than myself to answer your kit questions. But I will say if you start making quality blades you will find many friends here :D
Everything in moderation, including Moderation.
knightofredemption
Site Admin
Full Name: Paul Wickham

Postby Dave Mooney on Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:10 pm

Hello Anthony and welcome,
To answer your fabric question the nearest supplier to you is only in Nenagh, Hanly's I think they're called. I'll get you a proper addy later.
That's where Craggaunowen get their costume materials from. We've not used them yet as we've only learned of them ourselves. They don't have a mad selection but it is hard to find fault with. Especially if you keep your kit simple.

Also, we are your nearest group, we do Iron Age and we are only 20 mins from Portumana. Check us out at www.moghroith.org

Dave.
Dave Mooney.
Mogh Roith- Historical Living History Group. http://moghroith.org
Dave Mooney
Active Newbie
Full Name: Dave Mooney

Postby wiblick on Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:26 pm

I've always found buying online to be the cheapest way to get authentic fabrics. But the members of mogh roith will be able to steer you best with regard to your kit.
I am off active duty for 2009 & 2010. I continue to research but will be attending few if any shows for these two years. I got some chickens and hope to bring them along with a more fully rounded household display in 2011.
wiblick
Active Newbie
Full Name: Aoife

Postby Dave Mooney on Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:05 pm

You can hit us with your on-line links though Wiblick, we can still do with some diversity :)

The usual stop for re-enactment fabrics is Murphy Sheehy's in Dublin but do you really want to venture past the M50, I know I never do.
There is also 'Bernie the Bolt' but I've never shopped with him or found if he has a web site.
Dave Mooney.
Dave Mooney
Active Newbie

Postby wiblick on Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:01 pm

bernie doesn't have a website and it is always of course best to see fabrics and colours in person. I'll put together a mail with my fabric links tomorrow, I'll put anything I can think of.
I am off active duty for 2009 & 2010. I continue to research but will be attending few if any shows for these two years. I got some chickens and hope to bring them along with a more fully rounded household display in 2011.
wiblick
Active Newbie
Full Name: Aoife

Postby sabrewolfe on Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:20 am

Bernie does have a huge selection and great prices too boot your best bet too see his wares is battle of the flags (if he is there in January 09 maybe a medrenner can comfirm) or if you fancy a banquet and good training weekend he will definately be in Foulksrath castle april 09
Monkey The Medic (EMT)
An Fáinne Fiá­in

Need a free Medic or First Aider for your gig check out http://sites.google.com/site/sabre151/monkeymedical
Trauma Junkie "Its not that I want you to get hurt, I just want to be there when you are"
sabrewolfe
Active Newbie
Full Name: Paul Brangan

Postby Dave Mooney on Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:16 pm

Does he come over to trade? That would be great. Is there dates released for the flags event? I hope I'm not in Panto at the time!
Dave Mooney.
Dave Mooney
Active Newbie

Postby Dave Mooney on Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:26 pm

I copied this thread to introductions as it is an introduction.

Dave (with his Mod hat on)
Dave Mooney.
Dave Mooney
Active Newbie

Postby Bandraoi on Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:50 am

Hi, and welcome to the site, and to re-enactment/living history.

Lora
~ Is minic a bhris beal duine a shron ~
It's often that a person's mouth breaks their nose...
New web site for Rathcroghan, seat of Kingship in the west of Ireland for nearly 2000 years! http://www.rathcroghan.ie
Bandraoi
Active Newbie
Full Name: Wethren DeStoirm

Next

Return to Introductions