Caliver & Pike Drill

England from the Tudors to the Stewarts, Flight of the Irish Earls, the Discovery of the Americas and Global Trade

Moderator: the_power

Caliver & Pike Drill

Postby jaspergreen on Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:24 am

I am in a group here in the States which is getting quite a bit into the Nine Years War period. I am particularly interested in O'Neill's efforts to modernise his army, training his kern as shot and his Galloglass as pike.

Does anyone have indformation on what drill systems his hired captains used in training his forces?
We are initially using de Gheyn for the shot and an English 1588 drill for pike; but I would be keen to find out & adopt whatever the correct drills are, if they are known.

Thanks,
Jeff
Sean Artuir O'Maollain
(My Great - Grandad)
jaspergreen
Full Name: Jeff Miller

Re: Caliver & Pike Drill

Postby rinuccini on Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:50 am

Hi Jeff
it would appear that O'Neill's army was trained by experienced English officers so using manuals such as De Gheyn would (in my opinion) be fine. There is a Tudor period manual on tactics, but will need to look it it as can't remember the name off the top of my head.

Tactics for calivermen were interesting. Musketeers would have stayed with the pikemen, but the calivermen with their shorter range were expected to rush forward to within about 20 feet of the enemy, fire and then run back to the safety of the pikes. :shock:
rinuccini

Postby finnobreanan on Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:53 pm

The Renaissance Drill Book published by Jacob De Gheyn in 1607 has caliver, musket and pike drill. You can pick a reprint up at Barnes & Noble for $24.95.
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The-Re ... 614/?itm=1
Finn O'Breanan
Wood Kerne

"...The O'Brennans, a sept of thieves without any right or title, ... were a perpetual disturbance to the peace of the county,"
finnobreanan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Scott Cross

Postby jaspergreen on Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:28 am

Thanks, Finn.

Actually, we have several copies of the de Gheyn reprint, as I mentioned in my initial post.

My curiosity lies in finding out if there is any indication as to which systems of drill were used by O'Neill's Butter Captains.

We will most likely continue to use de Gheyn and the English pike drill as historically reasonable, until more information comes available.

Do you get down to Jamestown? That is where we make the most use of de Gheyn.

Take care,

Jeff
Sean Artuir O'Maollain
(My Great - Grandad)
jaspergreen

Postby finnobreanan on Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:07 pm

Jamestown is a long haul for me out here in Wisconsin, although my mother lives in Lynchburg, on the opposite end of Virginia. I've fallen in with the Guild of St. Michael at the Bristol Renaissance Faire, and portrayed an Irish Kern in English service. The guild have both Pike and Musket and put up a pretty good display.
http://www.gsmbristol.org/
Their eyes bugged out when they saw me walk into their camp wearing my Kern impression with Morion helm and carrying a caliver!
Finn O'Breanan
Wood Kerne

"...The O'Brennans, a sept of thieves without any right or title, ... were a perpetual disturbance to the peace of the county,"
finnobreanan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Scott Cross

Postby jaspergreen on Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:15 am

Finn;

Thats a cool looking impression. Realizing that WI is a f'ur piece' from Jamestown, my Irish history group (Wild Geese Living History Project) is planning to have an encampment/display at Military Through the Ages (MTA) at Jamestown in March 2009. The core impression is Galloglach, but we plan to have kern calivermen & swordsmen as well. We'd love to have you fall in, if you were interested.

That invite goes for any friends on this forum. We are extremely open to advice and mentoring as we develop this impression.

Jeff
Sean Artuir O'Maollain
(My Great - Grandad)
jaspergreen

Return to Early Modern