Share your Venison Receipes

Moderator: the_power

Share your Venison Receipes

Postby sabrewolfe on Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:09 am

Well its that wonderfull time of year again where bamby has a run in with man in the forest and ends up on our plates, now that venison is again on sale legally (land rover hunters and deer falling on bullets are not needed as an excuse) does anybody have any fantastic receipes that they would like too share with us.

The only two ive actually bothered with so far this season is to get a large lump of venison. If you live in Dublin the easiest place to get it is from FX Buckleys butchers on Moore street, I usually go for a shoulder or similar and marinade in red wine or mead(this is really bad for your oven if its not covered properly) in a large covered pyrex dish with some mixed herbs and black pepper, I try to avoid salt as it will dry out the meat too much. Then you leave this over night to marinade, next day just bang it in the oven on a slow roast. Ideally venison is served slightly rare so you should aim for pinkish with no blood when you cut it.

So boys and girls what else have you got
Monkey The Medic (EMT)
An Fáinne Fiá­in

Need a free Medic or First Aider for your gig check out http://sites.google.com/site/sabre151/monkeymedical
Trauma Junkie "Its not that I want you to get hurt, I just want to be there when you are"
sabrewolfe
Active Newbie
Full Name: Paul Brangan

Re: Share your Venison Receipes

Postby Cathal on Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:57 am

We usually prepare brave little Bambi like in sabrewolfe's receipe. To get it lightly salted and avoid form drying out, we wrap the meat additionally in slices of breakfast bacon.
Humm - now i feel hungrrrrrry!!!
:arrow: Good idea for next weekend's dinner....... :idea:
...try always to be on the right end of the sword...
Cathal
Active Newbie
Full Name: Stefan Seiler

Postby the_power on Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:39 pm

saberwolfe wrote:Well its that wonderfull time of year again where bamby has a run in with man in the forest and ends up on our plates, now that venison is again on sale legally (land rover hunters and deer falling on bullets are not needed as an excuse) does anybody have any fantastic receipes that they would like too share with us.

Well, amazingly only last night I cooked myself Jugged Venison, and it was bloody brilliant. So, the receipe is fresh in my mind;

Chop up a big spanish onion, 6 or 10 lumps of garlic - sliced, a small handful of peppercorns, a large handful of juniper berries (thanks Marion!) & a carrot, thyme, bay leaves, sage and dump it into a big non-reactive pot with 2/3 of a bottle of cheap red wine. Bring it to the boil, leaving the lid on, then let it cool, Meanwhile, dress ~1kg of venison, into 20mm cubes. Don't be afraid to leave a bit of fat on the meat, though do try strip out bone & tendon. Once the marinade is cool, add the venison, and cover with the rest of the wine. Leave it overnight.

Next day, pick out the meaty chunks at pat them dry with a tissue etc. A few chunks at a time, fry them on a shockin' hot pan, with some high temperature oil (or olive oil if you don't mind it burned into your pan) until the outside is brown (but the inside is rare). I usually season with some 'Berserker Salt' I got in Norway (wood smoked salt + Fly Agaric mushroom). Leave the cubes on a plate to the side. Set the oven to 150C, and put a covered roasting dish in to warm it up. Hopefully you didn't burn off all the deer fat from the meat at this stage...now throw in 70g of flour, and 125g of speck (smoked pancetta), and cook till the flour is golden brown, and stuck to the pancetta. Add olive oil here, if the flour soaks it all up. Strain the marinade slowly into the flour & pancetta, mixing to make sure flour doesn't turn to lumps. As it comes to the boil, throw in some cinnamon bark & cloves to taste. Put the meat into the now-hot roasting dish, cover up the meat with the marinade, stir in quartered chestnut (or cep!) mushrooms and finally sprinkle sliced parsnip, and skinned potatos into the top of the marinade. They should roast nicely. Turn the temperature of the oven up to 180C.

Leave it in the oven for about 75 minutes, and in the last 5 minutes, stir in 200g of mascarpone cheese with some black pepper to thicken it up. Om nom nom nom.

John
the_power
Active Newbie
Full Name: John Looney

Postby Neil on Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:38 pm

So hungry!!!! My mam made a lovely venison guinness stew before. Will see if she still has the recipe
Neil
South Dublin Living History Society
Neil
Full Name: Neil Byrne

Postby redrazors on Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:21 pm

'Berserker Salt' I got in Norway (wood smoked salt + Fly Agaric mushroom).

:shock:
"Put not youre handes in youre hosen, youre codware for to clawe."
redrazors
Full Name: Pvt. BOB

Postby the_power on Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:10 am

Indeed. The "Berserker Salt" had recommendations "good with barbequed steak, but don't give to pregnant women". Om nom nom...ooow...pretty colours!

John
the_power
Active Newbie
Full Name: John Looney

Return to General Chat