Battle of Jadotville Film

From the Crimean War to the Wars in the Gulf. The death of global empires and the rise of a global economy.

Moderator: the_power

Battle of Jadotville Film

Postby knightofredemption on Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:52 am

This was sent to me in a private message from Joe (Rommel) and I reproduce it here with his permission. Anyone interested in being involved or wanting to know more please contact Joe on the axis forum. I will add more details as they come in.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Battle group south and Wargroup combined a the Munster Military Vehicle and Reenactment group have now started on the pre production for filming the Battle of Jadotville , the story of the Irish UN company besieged in the town of Jodotville in 1961 ,157 brave Irish soldiers battled a force of up to 3000 Katanganese soldiers and Belgian mercenaries . Filming will commence late this month and will be for one week . We have 50 members employed in the filming and there promises to be some epic battle scenes in the opening moments . Its a big production and allot of work has already been done for the groundwork . We will be transforming the set into a perfect reproduction of the original camp . We will send photos during filming and after also.
A special word of thanks to John Sweeney for his efforts and use of vehicles and equipment for the film . His great knowledge and vast experience has been of immense help on the film and John will be working as an advisor on the filming . Johns knowledge of the period is unequalled by any and we are delighted to have him on board .
Rommel
Everything in moderation, including Moderation.
knightofredemption
Site Admin
Full Name: Paul Wickham

Re: Battle of Jadotville Film

Postby speirs on Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:15 pm

im realy looking forward to this one as comt quinlan was my grand uncle and his film is based on the evets that happened to him and the rest of the lads from a coy.

it was also my aunt rose doyle who wrote the book about events at jadotville. if you get a chance to read it its called heros of jadotville, a lot of ye would be supprised at what happened when they where over there.its another piece of history that was forgotten.

its not very often that we get to re-enact a piece of history that was directly related to us. i for on hae a special intrest in this one and was delihted when we were approched to make it.

heres to another busy flim.
speirs
Active Newbie
Full Name: colm doyle

Postby Heartofoak on Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:27 pm

speirs wrote:im realy looking forward to this one........heres to another busy flim.

Nice one, speirs! Any idea where the scenes are being filmed? :)
None
Heartofoak

Postby Heartofoak on Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:47 am

Swifty wrote:...It's been shot on the sand-dunes at Duncannon - where we did the battle this year.

How appropriate, are you arranging a tropical cloudburst as well - like this year? After all its supposed to be The Congo. :)
None
Heartofoak

Postby rinuccini on Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:00 pm

Hi Swifty
didn't realise you had joined the SS!! Were you at the Duncannon battle last year? You should have said hello to us Red Army untermenchen ;)

Just wondering...... where are they getting all the Katanganese warriors from?

8-) Hugh 8-)
rinuccini

Postby bannerman on Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:51 pm

Good luck with the film lads. I just hope if ye film it in Ireland that ye get weather reminicent of the Congo!
Slan
Padraig
http://www.warofindependence.net/

"Is doigh linn gur mor iad na daoine mora mar atamuid fein ar ar nglunaibh. - Eirimis!!!"
Jim Larkin 1913
bannerman
Active Newbie
Full Name: Padraig O Ruairc

Postby Swifty on Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:01 pm

Thanks for the well-wishes bannerman : )

rinuccini wrote:Hi Swifty
didn't realise you had joined the SS!! Were you at the Duncannon battle last year? You should have said hello to us Red Army untermenchen ;) 8-)

Now that explains a thing or two Hugh... I said 'how're ye' to you at Duncannon as you and a couple of your bolshevik comrades were passing through our mine-field... and you walked on by *sniff, sniff*. I guess you just didn't recognise me, that's what I'll keep telling myself anyhow!!!

How's things up north? You doing any 17thC stuff anymore?
D Swift www.claiomh.ie c.795-1660
Swifty
Active Newbie
Full Name: Dave Swift

Postby rinuccini on Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:46 pm

Swifty wrote:Thanks for the well-wishes bannerman : )

rinuccini wrote:Hi Swifty
didn't realise you had joined the SS!! Were you at the Duncannon battle last year? You should have said hello to us Red Army untermenchen ;) 8-)

Now that explains a thing or two Hugh... I said 'how're ye' to you at Duncannon as you and a couple of your bolshevik comrades were passing through our mine-field... and you walked on by *sniff, sniff*. I guess you just didn't recognise me, that's what I'll keep telling myself anyhow!!!

How's things up north? You doing any 17thC stuff anymore?

:oops: Oh.dear :oops:
Sorry about that, I really didn't recognise you, only ever seen you in Viking/Irish or 17th century kit and the brain didn't make the connection :oops: .......I hope you didn't think I was snubbing you. :shock:

Mainly doing ww2 now, and a bit of ACW at the folk park. 17th century is basically the Jacobite/Williamite Wars with the Boyne centre, although did do 'Cromwell in Ireland' last year so my 1640s kit got an outing. Saw the pictures of your group at Kilkenny, would have loved to have done an event there, a living history type event with Rinuccini, backed up by Owen's Ulster army threatening the other members of the Confederacy with dire consequences should they agree to Ormond's treaty :D You never know maybe one for the future. Maybe get something going at Dunluce again.

8-) Hugh 8-)
rinuccini

Postby Swifty on Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:51 pm

Heartofoak wrote:
Swifty wrote:...It's been shot on the sand-dunes at Duncannon - where we did the battle this year.

How appropriate, are you arranging a tropical cloudburst as well - like this year? After all its supposed to be The Congo. :)

It's been shot at Bunmahon beach - location has been changed due to unforeseen circumstances. Apologies for any confusion!!
Last edited by Swifty on Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Swifty
Active Newbie

Postby Swifty on Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:08 pm

rinuccini wrote::oops: Oh.dear :oops:
Sorry about that, I really didn't recognise you, only ever seen you in Viking/Irish or 17th century kit and the brain didn't make the connection :oops: .......I hope you didn't think I was snubbing you. :shock:

Mainly doing ww2 now, and a bit of ACW at the folk park. 17th century is basically the Jacobite/Williamite Wars with the Boyne centre, although did do 'Cromwell in Ireland' last year so my 1640s kit got an outing. Saw the pictures of your group at Kilkenny, would have loved to have done an event there, a living history type event with Rinuccini, backed up by Owen's Ulster army threatening the other members of the Confederacy with dire consequences should they agree to Ormond's treaty :D You never know maybe one for the future. Maybe get something going at Dunluce again.

8-) Hugh 8-)

No not at all Hugh - it has to be said that the aesthetic transition from early 17thC to 1940's SS is considerable - I'll take your snub as a compliment that my Waffen SS interpretation was convincing ; ))))

Think you could be onto something with Owen Roe and Rinuccini re-visiting Kilkenny - should shake the foppish Royalists up a bit and Dunluce was always a pleasure back in the day.

See you on the circuit soon I'm sure!
Swifty
Active Newbie

Next

Return to 20th Century