Re-Enactment Ireland...What's next???

Moderator: the_power

Re-Enactment Ireland...What's next???

Postby Nerva on Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:49 pm

Salvete Omnes!

Here’s the current plan for the first publication of Re-Enactment Ireland.

Last date for submission of articles – 10pm on Wednesday the 15th of October
*Review of articles by the editor’s – 16th to 22nd of October
Publication – Friday the 31st of October

*This periods allows for articles to be returned to authors for inclusion of editorial comments and returned.

OK, some general guidelines…

Articles can be about…

1) Historical events (Battles etc.), general historical periods, historical figures etc.
2) Re-enactment groups and activities
3) Re-enactment equipment and projects
4) Re-enactment crafts and skills including food
6) Historical peoples and societies

Basically anything of a historical/Re-enactment content BUT must conform to the following rules…

1) All sources must be quoted
2) Quotations from other sources must be recorded as such
3) No boasting about biggest, best, first etc
4) Where other groups are referenced their permission must be sought
5) The publishers will take no responsibility for the content of articles

Basically folks, we all want this to be a successful publication that we all get something out of. We would like this publication to be a community based project and show Irish re-enactment in a positive light. With this in mind, I’m sure you will understand that anything likely to cause controversy or offence will not be passed by the editors.

For the first edition, everybody making a contribution will also have an accompanying article featuring them and their group and highlighting what they do and the events they run.

Apart from articles, the magazine will feature a full list of events and event reports, letters to the editor’s and their responses and personal advertising such as buy and sell etc.

We are currently working with two UK based re-enactment and living history based forums/websites with a view to distribution in the UK but this will ultimately depend on exactly how we electronically publish the magazine.

So what do we need? We need articles on every aspect of history and re-enactment from the Neolithic to today, Stone Age implements to Desert Storm, Celtic re-enactment to WWII and beyond and preferably in an Irish context. Basically if you think people would like to read it, then we’ll publish it but please REMEMBER, we need your help not only in providing material but also to help us edit it – no one’s an expert on everything, so don’t be shy!

The official website will be up and running in the next few days and email addresses will be published then.

In the meantime please contact reenactor@romanarmy.ie

Salvete Omnes!

Martin
Vale

Marcvs Vlpius Nerva

Legion Ireland - Roman Military Society of Ireland
Pilus Prior Cohors VIII Legionis XX Valeria Victrix

http://www.romanarmy.ie

info@romanarmy.ie

nerva@romanarmy.ie
Nerva
Active Newbie
Full Name: Martin McAree

Location: Corcagia, Hibernia Pronvincia - Cork, Ireland, to you Barbarians!

Re: Re-Enactment Ireland...What's next???

Postby Na Fianna Éireann on Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:12 am

will do looking forward to submitting an article on WW2 Re-enacting in Ireland and the differing shows we attended and how the public interacted with us , i was amazed at the great reception we got and the return invites we have received .
Na Fianna Éireann Fíor inár gCroíthe Neart inár Láimhe Comhsheasmhacht inár dTeanga.
Na Fianna Éireann
Active Newbie
Full Name: i never forget

Postby Nerva on Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:31 am

Salve Martin

No problem, just make sure your article sticks to the rules listed above. We have no problem in publishing group profiles but prefer when there's a particular aspect being referred to e.g. the equipment you use, a particular event you attended, the uniforms used or the history of the unit you portray. I think keeping it like this makes it more interesting for a broader readership.
Vale

Marcvs Vlpius Nerva

info@romanarmy.ie

nerva@romanarmy.ie
Nerva
Active Newbie

Postby Na Fianna Éireann on Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:23 am

Salve agus cinnte a Mháirtin go deannaigh mé sin , scriob mé scéalta beag aréir

No problems Martin , looking forward to reading up on the articles and feel this is a postive step in the right direction for re-enacting Ireland , and this should help to advertise Irish re-enactment unto a new level with this forum being a unique footstep towards that eventual goal .
Na Fianna Éireann Fíor inár gCroíthe Neart inár Láimhe Comhsheasmhacht inár dTeanga.
Na Fianna Éireann
Active Newbie
Full Name: i never forget

Postby Bandraoi on Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:16 pm

What is your ideal word count? What's the policy on accompanying pictures?
~ Is minic a bhris beal duine a shron ~
It's often that a person's mouth breaks their nose...
New web site for Rathcroghan, seat of Kingship in the west of Ireland for nearly 2000 years! http://www.rathcroghan.ie
Bandraoi
Active Newbie
Full Name: Wethren DeStoirm

Postby the_power on Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:01 pm

Hmm... good question. I'd like to write up an article on making your own medieval ales or meads. Obviously, the required length of an article would dictate content...

John
the_power
Active Newbie
Full Name: John Looney

Postby Nerva on Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:09 pm

Salvete Omnes!

John, great idea! To be honest I don't know how many words. Here's my best guidance, 1 to 4 A4 pages including pictures. If its alcohol related you could probably write as many pages as you want, the more info the better :D As for pictures, the more the better.

As you can probably tell by my response I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing :oops: While we have some fixed ideas, this is very much a leap in the dark for all of us (no plan survives first contact with the enemy etc.) I believe it will all be alright on the night.

So John, can we count on a piece from you?

Cheers

Martin
Vale

Marcvs Vlpius Nerva

info@romanarmy.ie

nerva@romanarmy.ie
Nerva
Active Newbie

Postby Dave Mooney on Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:12 am

I had this issue. I never knew what to stipulate.

Check out some of the articles in the Slua you feel are about the right length and do a word count.

You could work to a format and have regular 300, 500, 700, etc. word articles to be filled each issue.

If it's an e-issue though it doesn't matter. The way the Heritage Council send out their e-newsletter is in the format of Header, synopsis and 'Read More' link to the website. That way the inbox publication is small and the images are all on the site.

Dave.
Dave Mooney.
Mogh Roith- Historical Living History Group. http://moghroith.org
Dave Mooney
Active Newbie
Full Name: Dave Mooney

Postby Bandraoi on Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:28 pm

For reference: 1 A4 page on a fairly standard format (Times new roman, 12 pt, 1.5 line spacing, 'normal' margins) runs to approx 250 words.

For submissions to mags/papers, minimum word count is usually 500 or 600. Maximum depends on available space and layout considerations usually. 1000 words would be about average, which would indeed be approx 4 A4 printed pages :) As pointed out, not so much of an issue ( :roll: see what I did there?!) for online publications.

It is helpful to set a word count - brings focus to the writer and a rough idea of expected content to the editor. Flexibility is always a good thing though, especially when starting out :geek:
~ Is minic a bhris beal duine a shron ~
It's often that a person's mouth breaks their nose...
New web site for Rathcroghan, seat of Kingship in the west of Ireland for nearly 2000 years! http://www.rathcroghan.ie
Bandraoi
Active Newbie
Full Name: Wethren DeStoirm

Postby templarcommander on Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:05 pm

Thank you for the info Bandraoi,

that really helps. We are really excited about this project and look forward to presenting you all with a quality mag.

Thank you once again.
Kindest Regards,
Non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini Tuo da gloriam..
Cornelius
templarcommander
Active Newbie

Next

Return to General Chat