deleted posts

Moderator: the_power

deleted posts

Postby speirs on Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:41 am

has anyone noticed a lot of posts from the ww2 section are being deleted. in particular photos of events etc. salute nevere happened,duncannon never happened.

why are the mods deleteing these posts?
speirs
Active Newbie
Full Name: colm doyle

Re: deleted posts

Postby knightofredemption on Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:42 am

We are doing a clear out of old threads in all topics not just WWII, to be fair we did ask for help in this (topic Helping us to help you) as it is not our intention to delete anything that you want kept. It is more than possible that these were deleted in error because the thread title did not give a hint that there was any current stuff in there. Please don't feel we are trying to erase you from the site. there were a ton of threads that were giving details of up and coming gigs and we were clearing these out, I expect the photos you were taking about lay some where in one of these. May I suggest in future that we open post gig threads for photo's and the like, rather than using the original " gig coming up" thread. That way at the end of the season we can clear out all the "theres a gig, I'll be there" posts

Do feel free to resubmit these photo's to a new topic with a title that makes it clear what the thread contains and that will ensure they stay up. This applies to all gigs and events not just WWII

Sorry about that :oops:

Paul
Everything in moderation, including Moderation.
knightofredemption
Site Admin
Full Name: Paul Wickham

Postby Dave Mooney on Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:55 am

That's a great suggestion there Paul. My only issue with such treads is the massive string of photos to scroll through if you've not visited the thread in a while. This fills up peoples RSS readers and iGoogle reader insert as well.

Can I suggest that people consider using their photo gallery here or get a picasa one and only post the link to it instead. That way people can scan the text and have a choice to view the images.

The odd photo to make a point is fine but sticking up a gallery load is a bit much sometimes.

I know for a fact there are some members still on dial-up would greatly appreciate that also.

John may have a comment on how much load it puts on the system also...?
Dave Mooney.
Mogh Roith- Historical Living History Group. http://moghroith.org
Dave Mooney
Active Newbie
Full Name: Dave Mooney

Postby knightofredemption on Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:17 am

Thanks Dave, I have mentioned on another thread that the size of the photos posted did overload my so called broadband (from Vodafone) I think three or four small photo's is enough to give the flavour and then as you say, a link to a gallery.
knightofredemption
Site Admin

Postby Na Fianna Éireann on Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:02 pm

knightofredemption wrote:Thanks Dave, I have mentioned on another thread that the size of the photos posted did overload my so called broadband (from Vodafone) I think three or four small photo's is enough to give the flavour and then as you say, a link to a gallery.

I would agree as this is a common sense approach to trying to get across not only the event but also giving a link to the particular user gallery also facilitates the viewer to see the broad spectrum that the poster has in his or her gallery .
:) When using up my internet roaming ip dial up it overloads my broadband and i have to come out of it .
Na Fianna Éireann Fíor inár gCroíthe Neart inár Láimhe Comhsheasmhacht inár dTeanga.
Na Fianna Éireann
Active Newbie
Full Name: i never forget

Postby speirs on Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:13 pm

im also on dial up thats why i pos a link to my bebo for photos.

may i suggest a multiple uload facilty for photos on our gallerys. tht way i can leave the computer uploading and watch some telly. i takes me ages to load photos. bebo have one and i just let my computer run away.

if you are looking for photos from duncannon and salute please log onto my bebo www.bebo.com/wargroup.
speirs
Active Newbie
Full Name: colm doyle

Postby knightofredemption on Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:24 pm

That would be an ecumenical matter :D or rather admin, its over to john on this one.
knightofredemption
Site Admin

Postby Dave Mooney on Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:59 pm

Speirs,
Get a gmail account, if you've not got one and load Picasa and use it to upload your pics for you. It scans your drive and has several methods of searching folders. You can create a folder for upload and name it, fill in location, caption the pics and add folder description etc. Then just Log-in and let it rip.

Folders can be set to public or you can share with select people.
Dave Mooney.
Mogh Roith- Historical Living History Group. http://moghroith.org
Dave Mooney
Active Newbie
Full Name: Dave Mooney

Return to General Chat