Gallowglass weapons

Viking, Saxon, and Early Christian Irish cultures

Moderator: the_power

Gallowglass weapons

Postby Celtic Britain on Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:11 pm

Hey,

what equipment would a gallowglass-warrior have around 1314? I searched the internet but found different things. Had they an axe, a spear, a sword, three javelins, a bow, a knife or all of them? I know they had more than one weapon but most of the sources are 17th century. Could you recommend some reading material?

Thanks in advance,

Celtic Britain
Celtic Britain
Full Name: Celtic Britain

Re: Gallowglass weapons

Postby the_power on Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:01 pm

Check out some of the rather wonderful drawings here - http://www.gaddgedlar.com/bannockburn_2003%20Kit.htm - check out the "highlanders and islemen" images & text. If gives a wonderful impression; axes, spears, swords. Most people would have a 'side arm' or camp knife. A bow is possible, but likely not for combat - gallowglass tended to hire 'horse boys' to look after their horse and equipment. In the 16thC, they are said to fight alongside their master, using a bow. usually, javelins are thrown by someone with a shield, not someone with double handed axe. You can't hold and axe and three javelins, but you can hold a shield & three javelins. So, some guys likely had axes, others had swords.

john
the_power
Active Newbie
Full Name: John Looney

Postby Celtic Britain on Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:17 pm

Thank you for your reply and link, the pictures are great! Most of the websites say that every gallowglass wore the same equipment, but I guess you are right, for you always have your preferences. Thanks again!
Celtic Britain

Postby the_power on Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:26 pm

I'd say that no Gallowglass his salt would only be able to use one weapon. He'd be trained to use pretty much anything he could get his hands on. Of course, you can only use one large weapon at a time...

Oh, that said, I've fought with a double-handed spear, while having a sword & shield packed, just in case.

John
the_power
Active Newbie
Full Name: John Looney

Postby DarkShadow on Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:54 pm

Most of the gallowglass weapons are swords...more on irish swords.
Last edited by DarkShadow on Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DarkShadow
Full Name: Frank Brown

Postby finnobreanan on Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:10 pm

The axe appears to be the weapon of choice for Gallowglass. Do a search for "Gallowglass" in the discussions here and there are some images of original examples and reproductions.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=190

Here are two books that are a MUST read for anyone interested in Gallowglass and everything associated with them:

Galloglass 1250-1600: Gaelic Mercenary Warrior
http://www.amazon.com/Galloglass-1250-1 ... 568&sr=1-1

The World of the Gallowglass: Kings, Warlords and Warriors in Ireland and Scotland, 1200-1600
http://www.amazon.com/World-Gallowglass ... 568&sr=1-4
Finn O'Breanan
Wood Kerne

"...The O'Brennans, a sept of thieves without any right or title, ... were a perpetual disturbance to the peace of the county,"
finnobreanan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Scott Cross

Postby Celtic Britain on Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:53 pm

Thank you very much for your replay, the first book of Ospray is not that good, it's handy to use and there are very good pictures in it. The second book is very good indeed and extually a must have for everyone doing historical research to the Irish sea.

Probably I have some interesting titles as well: R. Andrew McDonald, The Kingdom of the Isles, and R. Andrew McDonald Alba Celtic Scotland in the Medieval Era.

At this moment I hope to do some findings in the archeological records, but they are very bad documented in Scotland.
Celtic Britain

Return to Early-Medieval