Training Manual?

Moderator: the_power

Training Manual?

Postby Nerva on Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:42 am

Salvete Omnes!

the_power wrote:I'd suggest that any "train the trainer" session have goals around an agreed written training manual at the end. I noticed there was a lot of good stuff said & forgotten, and also a lot of low-quality stuff made up on the day that people wouldn't have offered as training material if they though it was to be written down and scrutinised later.

Not that I'll manage to get out of Dublin anytime soon for a show/training session, alas.

John

I don't know about you, but I think John's idea of having a written training manual is worth exploring. Anybody else think it's a good idea?
Vale

Marcvs Vlpius Nerva

Legion Ireland - Roman Military Society of Ireland
Pilus Prior Cohors VIII Legionis XX Valeria Victrix

http://www.romanarmy.ie

info@romanarmy.ie

nerva@romanarmy.ie
Nerva
Active Newbie
Full Name: Martin McAree

Location: Corcagia, Hibernia Pronvincia - Cork, Ireland, to you Barbarians!

Re: Training Manual?

Postby the_power on Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:37 am

As usual, I'll point out the one I did for double handed spear fighting.

http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dhkcrbf6_1g7sdjj&hl=en

I keep saying "I really should take photos to illustrate stuff better", but I've not gotten around to it yet. I might do it this weekend, if I can get out to training.

John
the_power
Active Newbie
Full Name: John Looney

Postby Nerva on Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:35 am

Excellent John,

What do you or others suggest should go into shuch a manual? Spear,ok, long sword? short sword? glave? shield? axe?
Vale

Marcvs Vlpius Nerva

Legion Ireland - Roman Military Society of Ireland
Pilus Prior Cohors VIII Legionis XX Valeria Victrix

http://www.romanarmy.ie

info@romanarmy.ie

nerva@romanarmy.ie
Nerva
Active Newbie
Full Name: Martin McAree

Location: Corcagia, Hibernia Pronvincia - Cork, Ireland, to you Barbarians!

Postby the_power on Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:08 pm

Well, once I get the double handed spear perfect...I think short spear, glaive/staff, and double handed axe. There are enough books on sword work - usually by people who know waay more than me. Someday, I'll get me a gallowglass axe, and try work out how to use that too.

John
the_power
Active Newbie

Postby brendan on Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:22 pm

Manuals are only of use if people are willing to use them.

As John has said there is world of stuff out there on the European sword. For Pole weapons there is also some stuff (Burgundian)

People from different martial arts traditions have different notions on how spear should be used. The guide that is there is good but there has been little feedback from people who have been teaching spear for years so it is hard to tell whether it represents best practice or an agreed position.

BUT there is definitely a role for something where a) More experienced people meet to set best practice b) People meet others from different groups to train with them c) trainers train people from other groups.

Brendan
brendan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Brendan Griffin

Postby Tua Cathach on Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:11 am

brendan wrote:Manuals are only of use if people are willing to use them.

just picking up on this now.. Brendan makes a valid point here. its all very well spending a huge amount of time and effort in writting a manual, but only if its going to be used.

i think the idea is a good one but i can see huge amount of pitfalls. the main one is peoples misinterpretation of the text and visuals. you then run into the danger of somebody training in a dangerous manner and also training others in a dangerous manner....... this is just one concern i would have about it..

however if you were to do a manual and present it at an event such as train the trainners or at a large training event. at least everyone would be singing from the same hyme sheet......

just a thought
Tua Cathach
Full Name: Colm

Postby the_power on Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:33 am

Won't work. Myself and Brendan gave out ten copies at a training session we gave to Med Ren in Cork. I don't think anyone looked at it afterwards. Certainly, we never got any feedback.

John
the_power
Active Newbie

Postby femgeek on Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:45 am

You did?? I never got one :evil: Lame. I do think it's a good idea though, working from old manuals can be slow going, especially when I've gotton something wrong and have to go back and fix it before I can move on. I have a modern TaeKwonDo manual I work from, and its very easy to read from. It shows little diagrams of movements and where to put the feet, as well as a glossery of terms. It is difficult to get people to use manuals, or even show any interest sometimes. Often a trainer is the best way to get things done.
Audaces Fortuna Juvat
femgeek
Full Name: Muireann Costello

Postby the_power on Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:02 pm

Then check out - http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dhkcrbf6_1g7sdjj - if I got some feedback along the lines "This was useful", or "You should talk more about X Y and Z", then I'd love to hear about it. It'll make me more likely to use photos and drawings to fill the gaps. Alas, it was written two years ago, and despite mentioning it many times to people, and handing out printed copies, no one ever gave any feedback.

John
the_power
Active Newbie

Postby brendan on Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:00 pm

Femgeek, I am pretty sure that you were there when they were handed out - the fact that you dont know about it means that no one talked about it!

Anyway, what do people who would read one want to see in a manual??

Brendan
brendan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Brendan Griffin

Next

Return to General Chat