Discovery Programme at Tulsk, Roscommon

Castles, Heavy Cavalry, Cities, Armour and Invention

Moderator: the_power

Discovery Programme at Tulsk, Roscommon

Postby Bandraoi on Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:38 am

Hi,

Just to let folk know, the DP (Ireland's Archaeologicial Research Institute) have been digging at Tulsk Fort every summer for the last 5, but they will be finishing up at end of this Calender year.

It's the Medieval rural Gaelic lordship project, but the focus the last 3 years has been on the garrison tower remains. We're talking the stationing of Richard Bingham, about 1590's I think - the 'flail of Connacht' who came to try sort out the barbarians :lol:

Well, we're still here, and he's gone... but the finds have been pretty cool with regard to militaria, and we're seeing 3 significant levels of occupation with towers from 11th century onwards. They have published a lot of the work that was done on the Dominican priory across the road, but this is unpublished as yet.

Anyway, point being... they start digging again next Monday, 8th Sept, for about 4 weeks. Short on manpower, so they Looking for volunteers if anybody's free? But even if you want a look see and don't mind hanging about a bit til they're free to chat, they are a sound bunch and it's an interesting site.

Disclaimer: I am not an archaeologist, so don't ask me any intelligent questions. Well, ask, just don't count on intelligent answers ;)

Lora

More info under DP posts here:
www.cruachanai.blogspot.com
~ Is minic a bhris beal duine a shron ~
It's often that a person's mouth breaks their nose...
New web site for Rathcroghan, seat of Kingship in the west of Ireland for nearly 2000 years! http://www.rathcroghan.ie
Bandraoi
Active Newbie
Full Name: Wethren DeStoirm

Re: Discovery Programme at Tulsk, Roscommon

Postby finnobreanan on Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:16 pm

Lora,

What have they been finding? I was there last Spring, but it was too early in the season for them to be digging.
Finn O'Breanan
Wood Kerne

"...The O'Brennans, a sept of thieves without any right or title, ... were a perpetual disturbance to the peace of the county,"
finnobreanan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Scott Cross

Postby Bandraoi on Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:14 pm

Have found everything from cat skellingtons (RIP Fluffy) to musket shot to coinage.. it's had such broad spectrum use that there's been a real variety of finds. The bone dice were pretty cool :)

The garderobe was focused on last summer and again this year, analyisis of their poop is on going :mrgreen:

Again, I'm not an arcaheologist so I'm not the best person to be talking to, but if there's anything that you'd be particularly interested in I can ask and see if they found it!

Lora
New web site for Rathcroghan, seat of Kingship in the west of Ireland for nearly 2000 years! http://www.rathcroghan.ie
Bandraoi
Active Newbie

Postby Bandraoi on Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:16 pm

finnobreanan wrote: I was there last Spring

Did we meet? Or did you get a tour from Mike or Bernadette?!
Bandraoi
Active Newbie

Postby Swifty on Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:39 pm

Can you post any of pics up Bandraoi. I would be very interested in seeing any dateable material such as coins, pottery sherds etc up close. Thanks for updates thus far. Also when is the dig complete - maybe I'll get a chance to pop up?

Swifty
D Swift www.claiomh.ie c.795-1660
Swifty
Active Newbie
Full Name: Dave Swift

Postby Bandraoi on Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:57 pm

Was supposed to be finished end of last summer, then this year was an extension, and the landowner wants them off site by end of calender year 08. Can't post pics as they will be publishing on the work :? there are some to view at the centre though if you are here in person.

www.discoveryprogramme.ie is the usual site, but I think it's down for redevelopment still.

Digging has started from yesterday, Mon-Fri 9 to 5pm, in Tulsk, Co. Roscommon. I will check for dates on coinage. AFAIK there has been no pottery found, the finds are definitely more martial than domestic.

Lora.
Bandraoi
Active Newbie

Postby finnobreanan on Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:51 pm

Bandraoi wrote:
finnobreanan wrote: I was there last Spring

Did we meet? Or did you get a tour from Mike or Bernadette?!

No, we did not meet. I spent quite a bit of time at the Cruachan Ai Heritage Centre and I think it was Mike I talked to about the sites. This fellow was a well spring of information on the area and I wish I could have spent a week with him talking and walking around the area. My wife and I did a self guided tour around all of the sites near Tulsk. What a fabulous place! The castle was roped off, but I did get a few shots. A storm hit while we were finnishing up at Rathmore with gale force winds (visions of Jethro Tull's, Dun Ringill: "We'll wait in stone circles, `til the force comes through ---lines joint in faint discord
and the stormwatch brews"). I did find this news article on the web about the excavations:
http://medievalnews.blogspot.com/2007/0 ... tulsk.html
Finn O'Breanan
Wood Kerne

"...The O'Brennans, a sept of thieves without any right or title, ... were a perpetual disturbance to the peace of the county,"
finnobreanan
Active Newbie

Postby Bandraoi on Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:42 pm

Ha! Aye, Mike is a great lad :mrgreen: He's even better now he's spent the summer digging with the team, and surveying (lots of new info on Reilg na Rí, soon to be processed and hopefully published!).

Cheers for the link, I hadn't seen that one. I shall add it to my files :geek:

Lora (proud to be manager of the Cruachan Aí Centre :D )
Bandraoi
Active Newbie

Postby the_power on Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:32 pm

I've never even heard of this place! I'll have to drop in, next time I'm in the area. It might be an idea to book a reenactment there next summer..a few years ago, we did a wonderful Iron-Age gig in Keena, at the Corlea Bog Road interpretive center. One of the best museum events I've ever had the pleasure of helping with.

Irish Arms or Mogh Roith have run very good museum-based prehistoric gigs in the past.

john, wondering where his iron age kit is
the_power
Active Newbie
Full Name: John Looney

Postby finnobreanan on Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:04 pm

the_power wrote:I've never even heard of this place! I'll have to drop in, next time I'm in the area. It might be an idea to book a reenactment there next summer..a few years ago, we did a wonderful Iron-Age gig in Keena, at the Corlea Bog Road interpretive center. One of the best museum events I've ever had the pleasure of helping with.

Irish Arms or Mogh Roith have run very good museum-based prehistoric gigs in the past.

john, wondering where his iron age kit is

John,

Most of the sites date to pre-history and Cruachan Ai is the seat of the kings of Connaught. LARGE mounds, ring forts, and Queen Medb's tomb (supposedly). The normans built a castle at Tulsk and inside the old cemetery are the remains of an abbey.
http://www.cruachanai.com/
The web site has some images of the excavations at the castle site. This would indeed be a great place to do living history.
Finn O'Breanan
Wood Kerne

finnobreanan
Active Newbie

Next

Return to Late Medieval