Did you know the origin of....

Moderator: the_power

Did you know the origin of....

Postby ciaranc on Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:18 pm

BOUNCER was a tavern owner or man standing by door collecting a coin fee to enter. If coin bounced off a keg/table, it was brass/copper therefore good, bad it was lead.
Oi quit chucking pointy sticky things at me
ciaranc
Active Newbie
Full Name: ciarán curran

Re: Did you know the origin of....

Postby ciaranc on Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:23 am

DAMN IT came from the Anglo-Saxon’s ‘Damut’ for Viking, derived from Danish ‘Danute‘, as Viking longboats approached a cry ‘Damut’ came from guard
ciaranc
Active Newbie

Postby ciaranc on Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:40 am

What is a levy

A levy is a collection of foot soldiers drawn together under the grant from the commission of array 1453-4. In times of war or civil strife the country's nobles would be required to provide an army to fight on behalf of the crown.
The household providing the men would also provide their basic equipment. Alternatively, individuals could choose to arm themselves helped by family, friends or patrons. They could also expect to draw munitions armour and weaponry from the town stocks. The army also needed skilled men, smiths, cobblers, fletchers etc.

A levy therefore is made up of ordinary men and women. They would have been friends, neighbours and often more than one family member would have been represented.

There is evidence to show that women would also be called to muster, they may have been there simply as camp followers, however, there is evedence that they carried arms. Whether they carried spare equipment for other family members or were required to provide it in lieu of a husband who was unable to muster can only be speculated at. It is known, however, that women did practise archery for sport and may well have been able to defend themselves if called to.

Equipment

Because a levy is made up of people from all social classes the types of equipment worn is varied. the wealthier members could have had full harness (suit of armour) whilst the household soldier wore brigandines, padded jacks or even mail.
In terms of weaponry, swords and daggers were most common, with others carrying pole arms, glaives of simple staves. Axes and maces were also popular. Archers formed approximately a third of a levy.
Throughout medieval times, the longbow remained the most formidable of weapons. the bow was practised by law, not so the sword or bill. It was therefore a weapon that all ordinary soldiers were familiar with.
The archers would form up behind a line of bill men and provide cover for them as they advanced. On each flank would be men at arms, those armed with sword, axe or mace.
ciaranc
Active Newbie

Postby gobae on Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:41 am

gobae
Full Name: Dan Crowther

Postby ciaranc on Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:49 pm

intresting site although i hadnt seen that particular mail before, gathered the above bits from what other people told me and heard various places and quite a few from http://www.medievalresources.com/homepage.html, however it does raise an intresting debate as to what is the true origins for these saying

Anyone know if any are correct or where they originally come from?
ciaranc
Active Newbie

Postby Bandraoi on Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:39 pm

BÓTHAR in Irish, meaning 'road', actually comes from the two words (cow) and Thar (across, beyond)... so it was called a Bóthar if 2 cows could pass each other comfortably :geek:
~ Is minic a bhris beal duine a shron ~
It's often that a person's mouth breaks their nose...
New web site for Rathcroghan, seat of Kingship in the west of Ireland for nearly 2000 years! http://www.rathcroghan.ie
Bandraoi
Active Newbie
Full Name: Wethren DeStoirm

Return to General Chat