Board content

Moderator: the_power

Do you think they amount of chatter on the boards is pleasant ?

I love the chatter, it helps create a sense of community
50%
I feel guilty for it, but take part from time to time
11%
I can ignore it, but it's detracting from the site
23%
I wish most of it would go away
15%

Total votes : 26

Board content

Postby the_power on Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:06 pm

Hey guys. I'd a chat with some long-time members about the fact they don't seem to be posting as much anymore.

Most of them were of the opinion that most of the board's content is now chatter - people talking about gigs they went to, saying hi to each other. The net effect is that people who are interest in sharing research, opinion & debate aren't active any more. Should .. measures be made to increase the signal to noise ratio ? Any idea what they might be ?

Oh, incidentally, anyone know why the Gardaí are so interested in contacting me about livinghistory.ie ?

John
the_power
Active Newbie
Full Name: John Looney

Re: Board content

Postby wolfvine on Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:41 pm

Greetings my friends

Hi John.
When a forum such as this exsists a community grows up around it. With it you have all types of people with all types of views, questions and information who interact with each other, this keeps the site fresh. It can't all be about information on research, thats such a purist approach :ugeek: . I am all for getting the hobby right but lets have some fun along the way as well ! I love logging on to this site at least once a day and the banter amongst all those who use this site keeps things light hearted. If anything lets try to keep some of the nasty comments of late off this site and we can all help out with that. Anyway John keep up the great work you are doing ;)
Sean
May words speak only truth
Last edited by wolfvine on Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wolfvine
Active Newbie
Full Name: Sean Shields

Postby Nerva on Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:49 pm

wolfvine wrote:Greetings my friends

Hi John.
When a forum such as this exsists a community grows up around it. With it you have all types of people with all types of views, questions and information who interact with each other, this keeps the site fresh. It can't all be about information on research, thats such a purist approach :ugeek: . I am all for getting the hobby right but lets have some fun along the way as well ! I love logging on to this site at least once a day and the banter amongst all those whoe use this site keeps things light hearted. If anything lets try to keep some of the nasty comments of late off this site and we can all help out with that. Anyway John keep up the great work you are doing ;)
Sean
May words speak only truth

Spot on ;)
Vale

Marcvs Vlpius Nerva

Legion Ireland - Roman Military Society of Ireland
Pilus Prior Cohors VIII Legionis XX Valeria Victrix

http://www.romanarmy.ie

info@romanarmy.ie

nerva@romanarmy.ie
Nerva
Active Newbie
Full Name: Martin McAree

Location: Corcagia, Hibernia Pronvincia - Cork, Ireland, to you Barbarians!

Postby wolfvine on Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:50 pm

Greetings my friends.

On the subject of light banter. Heres a joke.

What did the Kerryman do when he saw a helicopter land in his back yard ?

He Threw bread at it ! :lol:

I love that Joke :D

Sean
wolfvine
Active Newbie
Full Name: Sean Shields

Postby knightofredemption on Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:17 pm

I find I agree with Sean, while the idea of this as a pure research site resource is laudable, as long as it is open to all, that will not happen. Many among us are involved in the hobby just for fun and the social life (I find I fall somewhere between the two extremes as I think most of us do) There is on occasion a rather negative slant to some of the threads but I'm afraid that reflects the real world of re-enactment. As long as the more extreme and offensive posts are dealt with swiftly, and the perpetrators first warned in no uncertain manner and if necessary banned. Then there is no reason to really be concerned about it.
I think its important, that the threads that have been set up for a purpose, we try to keep as pure as is humanly possible, and chat kept in its proper place. But many of us have polluted threads with the odd trite comments. That is the nature of the beast.

Of more concern is the Guarda interest in the site....It would be foolish to speculate here, so I will PM you.
Everything in moderation, including Moderation.
knightofredemption
Site Admin
Full Name: Paul Wickham

Postby Dave Mooney on Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:27 am

Oh, incidentally, anyone know why the Gardaí are so interested in contacting me about livinghistory.ie ?

John

Maybe because we're armed and organised. They want to know what beds the guns are under. Maybe they heard about those English coppers that got driven of the field by the Irish spear line (back in the old days) story and their riot squad want training. Maybe they want to book us, saw a show while doing Public Order duty and just want to join.

I'm hoping it's not to do with idiots and their flame wars of recent mounts.

Dave.
Dave Mooney.
Mogh Roith- Historical Living History Group. http://moghroith.org
Dave Mooney
Active Newbie
Full Name: Dave Mooney

Postby wiblick on Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:05 am

actually it's the 'mickey measuring' that keeps me away.
I am off active duty for 2009 & 2010. I continue to research but will be attending few if any shows for these two years. I got some chickens and hope to bring them along with a more fully rounded household display in 2011.
wiblick
Active Newbie
Full Name: Aoife

Postby sabrewolfe on Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:41 am

Personally I dont mind us having a wee joke now and then or poking fun at each other over silly comments. But living history.ie has for me always been a valuable tool for organising events sharing knowledge and discussing topics relevant too us re-enactors. Im a member of alot of other boards and I would hate too see living history degenerate into 10,000 three word story posts or grant my wish posts like other boards out there. I think there is a happy medium without getting bogged down in nonsense or bored senseless with intricate details that are not of practical relevance to us.

On a side note this forum and its predeccesor with old software would not be possible without the hard work of John Looney so lets hope the cops are not after him for much :) It would be a terrible shame if it was too do with someone libelling someone else on the boards..... alas this is the snag with a public forum anybody can read it, including the powers that be.
Monkey The Medic (EMT)
An Fáinne Fiá­in

Need a free Medic or First Aider for your gig check out http://sites.google.com/site/sabre151/monkeymedical
Trauma Junkie "Its not that I want you to get hurt, I just want to be there when you are"
sabrewolfe
Active Newbie
Full Name: Paul Brangan

Postby ciaranc on Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:46 am

re the chatter, I am ok with most of it however this is a public forum and its a place a lot of us point the public twords so if there are flaming attacks and slagging sessions going on (not the good humoured type) then its not going to put a very good image of re-enactors out there especially if its an event organiser you have pointed to the site. I think we have enough forum sections to keep the chatter to a minium on the information sections. i.e. the general chat and events sections are fine for the chatter but i think we should try and keep your comments in the other sections relevant to the topics in hand and useful more to the point.
Oi quit chucking pointy sticky things at me
ciaranc
Active Newbie
Full Name: ciarán curran

Postby knightofredemption on Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:10 pm

Agreed and its part of the job for us to wade through these informative threads and weed out the one liners and quips. I did ask that the owners of these thread flagged up the the detritus in their topics, but it seems to have fallen on deaf ears :lol: so it will take us a little longer. Oh well what else do we have to do on those long cold winter nights :D
Everything in moderation, including Moderation.
knightofredemption
Site Admin
Full Name: Paul Wickham

Next

Return to General Chat