gun for a kern ?

England from the Tudors to the Stewarts, Flight of the Irish Earls, the Discovery of the Americas and Global Trade

Moderator: the_power

gun for a kern ?

Postby the_power on Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:00 pm

Guys, i'm thinking of ... increasing my armament for my Kern outfit. What sort of weapon would be appropriate for Ireland, 1580s ? Caliver ? Spanish Harquebus ? Any ideas where I can get something rough looking & cheap ?

john
the_power
Active Newbie
Full Name: John Looney

Re: gun for a kern ?

Postby Swifty on Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:26 pm

Arquebus or Spanish Caliver are prob the best options - but I don't know of any way of getting your hands on one of these without paying up - and paying up handsomely at that. You could get away with a musket for the 1590's - which would be easier (and quite possibly cheaper) to acquire. Best to talk to Mr Rankin on prices, availability + advice on legal issues. Take a look at this for starters: http://www.albionsmallarms.co.uk/home.htm

Thanks for watchin the stall at Kilkenny on Sun as I proceeded to stuff my face btw : )
D Swift www.claiomh.ie c.795-1660
Swifty
Active Newbie
Full Name: Dave Swift

Re: gun for a kern ?

Postby finnobreanan on Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:14 pm

John,

I've seen several reference's to Irish Calvermen from this time period. I just picked one up here in the States and I REALLY like it! The caliver is much lighter than an Aquebus or a musket.

Mine was made by The Rifle Shop in Oklahoma as a kit. I purchased it already built and lightly used. They make the best I have ever seen. http://www.therifleshoppe.com/
Swifty is right, they are not cheap. I was luky to stumble into a used one.
Finn O'Breanan
Wood Kerne

"...The O'Brennans, a sept of thieves without any right or title, ... were a perpetual disturbance to the peace of the county,"
finnobreanan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Scott Cross

Return to Early Modern