Book Review: Shadow Lord

England from the Tudors to the Stewarts, Flight of the Irish Earls, the Discovery of the Americas and Global Trade

Moderator: the_power

Book Review: Shadow Lord

Postby finnobreanan on Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:36 am

A few months ago I purchased a copy of Anne Chambers, Shadow Lord: Theobold Bourke Tibbott-ne-Long: 1567-1629:Son of the Pirate Queen, Grace O'Malley. http://www.graceomalley.com/shadowlord.php

You really have to ignore the horrible photograph on the cover depicting what an "Irish Lord" would have looked like, since it is typically a totaI flight of fancy. I should have done more research before I bought it, but the author is a novelist and writes in that style. Although the book is a good read, and goes into the delicate nature of Norman-Irish families (who were very Gaelisized) and the intrigues in alliances, she doesn't quote a single source for all her information...she eludes to them, but there are no foot or end notes at all.

Tibbott's history is very interesting, but she leads in with the battle of Kinsale, but never develops his role fighting for the English...very disappointing. The last third of the book is devoted to the descendants of the rightful Earl's of the family Bourke/Burke, which would be interesting for family members.

I would not recommend anyone purchasing this book, but if you can get it at a library, it is worth a read.
Cheers!
Finn O'Breanan
Wood Kerne

"...The O'Brennans, a sept of thieves without any right or title, ... were a perpetual disturbance to the peace of the county,"
finnobreanan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Scott Cross

Return to Early Modern