Beef jerkey and Period food preservation

Moderator: the_power

Beef jerkey and Period food preservation

Postby sabrewolfe on Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:13 am

Ok so after being directed too an image of John Looney standing beside a nasty Fulacht Fia down in craggaunowen where they had tried cooking bacon. The thought of eating this stuff and the prospects of getting intestinal parasites and a good dose of food poisioning from "Rare" bacon got me thinking about the kinds of period foods we would have had in Ireland and how we can use these at gigs as part of living history and food ( cos im a hungry git most of the time). So the big question is what was in use in Ireland? smoked food, salted ? How did we preserve food with the minimum of effort.

As a side line to this (and after spending a small fortune on Martins Jerked meat in Tintagel) has anyone ever tried making beef jerkey? Supposidly it can be done using your oven at home. Im sure some americans on the boards may have tried making their own as oppsed to eating the store bought stuff. Any ideas or receipes worth sharing.
Monkey The Medic (EMT)
An Fáinne Fiá­in

Need a free Medic or First Aider for your gig check out http://sites.google.com/site/sabre151/monkeymedical
Trauma Junkie "Its not that I want you to get hurt, I just want to be there when you are"
sabrewolfe
Active Newbie
Full Name: Paul Brangan

Re: Beef jerkey and Period food preservation

Postby Cathal on Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:40 am

sabrewolfe wrote:As a side line to this (and after spending a small fortune on Martins Jerked meat in Tintagel) has anyone ever tried making beef jerkey?

Yes, sir.... me! ;)

After trying Martin's Jerked Meat i got really addicted and did some exeriments at home.

The first was a Worcestershire Jerky. Take a piece of beef, for example the part you'll take for roast beef, and remove all parts of grease. Then slice the meat 2-4 millimeters thick and marinate in half a litre worcestershire sauce over night in the fridge. Next, take the meat off the marinade and dry it lightly with a tissue. Then hang it on wooden spits of app. 3 -4 millimeters in diameter which you thread in the under side of the grid of the oven. Meat is now hanging down. Heat the oven to 50 degree celsius and don't close the oven door completely to avoid any heat or moisture stowing inside. Now wait five hours until the meat shrunk and got dark. ---> READY!
From one kilo fresh meat i got ca. 260 gram jerky.

Next reciepe i tried is my interpretation of an early medieval spiced jerky: Mix half a bottle dry white wine with 150 gram warm/liqud honey and a dash vinegar, add grind juniper berries and 100 gram salt. That's it.

Main thing, afaik, is to marinate the meat with a mix of salt and sugar. Herbs are just optional.

Hope this helps!!
Bye, Stefan
...try always to be on the right end of the sword...
Cathal
Active Newbie
Full Name: Stefan Seiler

Postby Billy on Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:53 am

I made jerky too, same way as described above. I've no idea how long it would have lasted, cos I scoffed the lot within days if making it!

For the record, smoking and salting are both attested to since Early Christian Period at least.

Early Irish Farming by Fergus Kelly makes mention of salted badger meat. Mmmm.
Billy MagFhloinn
Billy
Active Newbie

Postby sabrewolfe on Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:39 am

nice one I had a quick look around town for inspiration and in the oriental superstore behind jervis they do all different kinds of meat sliced waffer thin so Im tempted to give that a bash and try something really simple like red wine and black pepper Beef jerkey. Once I see how that works I will move onto kamikazee chilli based stuff. I figure jerkey is probably one of the few preserved things that we can easily make in a modern home. Smoking food and apartments dont mix! Not too mention I probably have enough salt in my diet and finding badger meat is slightly tricky if your picky and dont want tyre treads on your food. watch this space
Monkey The Medic (EMT)
An Fáinne Fiá­in

Need a free Medic or First Aider for your gig check out http://sites.google.com/site/sabre151/monkeymedical
Trauma Junkie "Its not that I want you to get hurt, I just want to be there when you are"
sabrewolfe
Active Newbie

Postby Cathal on Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:52 am

To get simple beef more badgerish, try to marinate it in leather oil - and don't forget to let us know about the results...! :P
Cathal
Active Newbie

Postby sabrewolfe on Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:04 pm

mmmm leather oil
Monkey The Medic (EMT)
An Fáinne Fiá­in

sabrewolfe
Active Newbie

Postby RecycledViking on Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:04 pm

sabrewolfe wrote:...sliced waffer thin...
"Ee's waffer thin!"

If you want badger meat, badger (ha) MedRen's Rob. He's nicknamed Badger for a reason!
'I think Yank, but maybe Æsir'
RecycledViking
Full Name: Annie Humphrey

Postby Andrea L Redden on Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:59 am

Billy wrote:For the record, smoking and salting are both attested to since Early Christian Period at least.

Hello Billy!

Where is it recorded? I've been trying to find a reference as I'm thinking of haveing smoked salmon on the menu for our feast next February.

I've done jerky too, used a friend's father's recipe. Paul used to bring some with him to the Sunday afternoon role playing games years ago and he was always mobbed when he did. :D Take roast beef and slice thinly then cut into strips. The thicker your slices the longer it will take to dry. Marinate in soy sauce for about 2 hoursish. Take out then spread on cake cooling racks and grind a plentiful supply of black pepper on top. Put the racks on baking trays so it doesn't drip all over the bottom of the oven. Dry in the oven at the coolest setting, possibly with the door held slightly ajar with a pencil, until leathery but still very slightly flexible. Turn at least once so you can brush the back with the marinade and grind pepper on that side too. No idea of it's long term keeping qualities. It never lasted more than 2 days. ;)
Andrea
Full Name: Andrea L Willett

Postby sabrewolfe on Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:06 am

well I thought id be brave and try lamb jerky left in red wine and black pepper. Drying it this evening so watch this space
Monkey The Medic (EMT)
An Fáinne Fiá­in

sabrewolfe
Active Newbie

Postby Cathal on Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:15 pm

sabrewolfe wrote:well I thought id be brave and try lamb jerky left in red wine and black pepper. Drying it this evening so watch this space

...and we watch.... and watch.... and watch.... where's the lamb jerky?? Were you successful? Are there some leftovers? Never heard of lamb jerky, but sounds grrrreat!!

I keep on watching.... and watching.... and watching... ;)

Bye, Stefan
Cathal
Active Newbie

Next

Return to General Chat