Introduction

Moderators: the_power, European Historical Combat Guild

Introduction

Postby knightofredemption on Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:47 pm

Hi I'd like to thank John for giving over this corner of livinghistory.ie as a contact point for members of the EHCG. I welcome anyone, member and non member alike to use this forum for the discussion of medieval weapons and combat.

At the moment there is just the one training group in Ireland, here in Cavan but I am hoping to look into setting one up in Dublin in the near future.

Anyone interested in the Guild can find more by visiting our web site at http://www.ehcg.net
Guild Badge  3d big.jpg
Guild Badge 3d big.jpg (4.42 KiB) Viewed 5530 times
Everything in moderation, including Moderation.
knightofredemption
Site Admin
Full Name: Paul Wickham

Re: Introduction

Postby nathan on Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:36 pm

well i train up in dublin and im very interested in joining your group
for here starts war carrion birds sing, and grey wolves howl
nathan
Active Newbie
Full Name: nathan featherstone

Postby the_power on Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:59 pm

There isn't an EHCG in Dublin just yet, though Paul has promised to come down & show myself and Brendan some bits & pieces at our training in Ballymun, some sunday soon.

We do a lot of I.33 style sword & buckler work, as well as any other weapon we can think of (I mainly do just staff/sword/dagger/claymore/glaive/dane axe/short & long spear). Brendan is in Dijon this week at the Historical European Martial Arts Coalition conference, so will likely come back all fired up about it. As always, our training sessions are open to anyone covered by third party martial arts insurance, or willing to join such a group soon after coming to training.

John
the_power
Active Newbie
Full Name: John Looney

Postby knightofredemption on Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:34 pm

Sorry I've not been on for a few days I am away at gigs all this week and have just got onto a computer. I'm not sure when I when I will get down as the calender is filling up with work, and I dont think I have a free weekend until some time in september. when I get home this weekend I will take a good look at the old wall planner and see just where I am. Hopefully I can come up with an earlier date. As soon I I know I will update :)
knightofredemption
Site Admin

Postby nathan on Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:45 am

well september is ok for me as things are fairly hectic but i definatly interesed and more than willing to join
nathan
Active Newbie

Postby knightofredemption on Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:46 am

Well I will look forward to meeting you :D . Membership of the Guild is by invitation, and does not happen overnight, usually a few weeks of training will show both parties whether or not one is suited to the other or not. But I hope that you will find us to your liking. I have to get over to the chapter masters training weekend at the Royal Armouries Leeds in early Sept, so it makes sense to me to get down to Dublin as soon after that as possible, full of enthusiasm, and any new training techniques, and ideas :P .

Paul
knightofredemption
Site Admin

Postby nathan on Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:52 pm

sounds good looking foward to it now :D well pm me when you know more
nathan
Active Newbie

Postby brendan on Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:06 pm

Well, I survived Dijon and am fired up.
I met a bunch of EHCG types over there as well as a bunch of other people from America, Finland, France, Austria, Germany Spain, Portugal and Hungary.

Certainly there are huge differences between the style of fighting I encountered there and typical reenactment, but each is focused on different goals. And of course, each group is convinced of its "rightness":)

Brendan
brendan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Brendan Griffin

Postby knightofredemption on Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:20 pm

Yes your so right :roll: , the nice thing about the EHCG ethos is, though there is a set guild way of doing things (within our training sessions), as a member there is no block to joining other groups or using other styles or even inviting other groups to training sessions to showcase their own styles. You must have had a great time and I'm green with envy. The more of us that get out and about to events like this the better. I look foward to getting down to you lot and hope to take away as much as I bring :D
knightofredemption
Site Admin

Postby Sekhemet on Mon May 12, 2008 10:11 am

Glad you had a great time in Dijon Brendan.

It is the second year I've been there with Paul and had a great time meeting new people, and making firm friends.

I think the key feature of Dijon is that whilst each group might orbit a core of central principals or techniques, all groups are open to new opinions, differences of styles and helping each other to develop their skills and techniques further. No-one thinks they are 'right' and unquestionable or perfection. We are all learning what are essentially dead arts from manuscripts.

If anyone's interested, there is a Fight Camp at the Royal Gunpowder Mills in London on 10th-14th July. £10 per person and bring a tent to stay in. There are many, many different workshops to take part in:

Fightcamp is the yearly HEMAC event run by Schola Gladitoria at the Royal Gunpowder Mills in Waltham Abbey (just outside NE LOndon). Its a nice relaxing location where you camp on site, the cost for the whole thing is £10, so all you have to do is get there, pitch a tent, and buy some food and drink to keep you going. The event is therefore a very cheap and enjoyable one to attend with between 2-3 workshops running at anyone time so you can choose between a wide variety of weapons and styles to train in, from sword and buckler to longsword, rapier, smallsword, backsword, dagger, grappling, bayonet and more.

There is also plenty of space and time for less formal gatherings to discuss material as well as do plenty of sparring and cutting. Theres unlimitied space but you do need to register that you are going, check out the Schola Gladitoria website and forum for more info.

http://www.fioredeiliberi.org/phpBB2/vi ... 1779b38378

Cheers! Fran (EHCG Leeds Chapter)
“In these modern times, many men are wounded for not having weapons or knowledge of their use.”
- Achille Marozzo, 1536
Sekhemet
Full Name: Frances Perry

Next

Return to European Historical Combat Guild