Helmet Workshop

Irish and European fighting styles and techniques, and the required Arms & Armour

Moderator: the_power

Helmet Workshop

Postby Andrea L Redden on Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:48 am

Our friend Steven Lowe from Melbourne came down this weekend to run another 2-day helmet making workshop for our newer members. They're trying to get their spangenhelms done before we host the NVG's joint training next Sunday. Depending on how much spare time they have to devote to polishing the plates 2 or 3 out of the 5 might get there. They've put in a hell of a lot of work and I think they're coming along magnificently. :D I've put some photos up under Dubh-linn's gallery on http://www.nvg.org.au

The frames are finished and drilled. The fine tuning of the dishing on the plates to achieve a good fit is finished as well. A couple of them need to fine tune the outline of their plates, particularly Sam. The 15mm strapping of an accurate Gjermundbu leaves NO room for error. The biggest job they still have to do is smoothing the hammer marks out of the surfaces of the plates and polishing all the metal surfaces. Once that's done they can drill the plates through the holes already drilled in the frames, bolt everything together and rivet.

Andrea
NVG Dubh-linn Branch
Australia
Full Name: Andrea L Willett

Re: Helmet Workshop

Postby the_power on Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:58 pm

Cool, I'd love to get a few hours with Steve - he's an amazing resource to reenactors. I'd a few beers with him in Hastings in 2006, and he's given me a few pointers on armourarchive.org over the years. I'm dead jealous. Oh, for a workshop.

Don't over-polish the panels...real dirty looking spangenhelms look so cool.

Anyway, for the curious.. here is the actual gallery; http://nvg.org.au/gallery/Helmet-Workshop-July-2008

John
the_power
Active Newbie
Full Name: John Looney

Postby Andrea L Redden on Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:02 pm

the_power wrote:Cool, I'd love to get a few hours with Steve - he's an amazing resource to reenactors. I'd a few beers with him in Hastings in 2006, and he's given me a few pointers on armourarchive.org over the years. I'm dead jealous. Oh, for a workshop.

He really knows his stuff on his chosen subjects and he's been a good friend for years. He and his new fiance Louisa stayed over with us on Saturday night, they live 1.5-2 hours away so driving back & forth wasn't practical.
the_power wrote:Don't over-polish the panels...real dirty looking spangenhelms look so cool.

Steve has a "thing" about shiny helmets and most of the guys are going with it. We always have a short "But the surviving ones aren't in good enough condition to tell, there's no proof what the finish was." "If somebody could afford a helmet, historically they weren't very common then, they'd want them looking as good as possible and labour was cheap." arguament. :) You also need to start with a good even finish if you want to brown it which is Barry's intention. Got to photocopy the instructions out of "Recreating the American Longrifle". He wants to do it right, not with a bottle.

Andrea
Full Name: Andrea L Willett

Postby Seathrun on Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:33 am

I am glad to hear Steve has a new fiance. He's a great guy and has helped me over the years too. He almost did not go to Hastings due to his wife's illness.
Seth
http://www.ravensborg.org/
Trí labra ata ferr túa: ochán ríg do chath, sreth immais, molad iar lúag.
Three speeches that are better than silence: inciting a king to battle,spreading knowledge, praise after reward.
Seathrun
Active Newbie
Full Name: Seathrun (Seth)

Return to Historic Martial Arts, Arms and Armour